Why become a member? ×

NBD: Warwick 5th Anniversary Streamer

Kev

I posted a status about acquiring something of a Holy Grail of Warwicks, and here she is!

[url="https://flic.kr/p/UmbhAU"][/url]
[url="https://flic.kr/p/Umb2nY"][/url]
[url="https://flic.kr/p/UpgzHF"][/url]
[url="https://flic.kr/p/Umbhpm"][/url]

It's a 5th Anniversary Streamer model finished in 1987 in remarkably good condition, having had its shellac finish refreshed not so long ago. Curios story behind them, for some reason Warwick built these instruments in their rough form inn 1984 (and year plate at 24th fret says as such) but didn't complete and release until 5th Anniversary in 1987. Super thin body, super thin neck, slightly crazy pickup config (slightly offset dual P). The first Warwick LTD, just 30 of these instruments were built and this one is number 9. Also comes with its original case, with matching serial number. It's a special bass, and I'm hoping to gig it on Sunday.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1497168450' post='3316195']
I thought that might have been Johns when I first saw it - rare bird indeed which country did you track it down in?

Also- didn't you move a load of your basses on as you had switched to 5 strings?
[/quote]
Tracked her down in...London 😂

That was a couple of years ago now, I'm going back the other way! The pattern continues...

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1497169734' post='3316204']

Tracked her down in...London 😂

That was a couple of years ago now, I'm going back the other way! The pattern continues...
[/quote] cool - if I ever end up selling or trading one of my warwicks I'll know to come to you first!

So how does this one play and sound?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1497175562' post='3316259']
cool - if I ever end up selling or trading one of my warwicks I'll know to come to you first!

So how does this one play and sound?
[/quote]
Haha yeah, please do! ;)

This one plays wonderfully, neck is super thin and the body is insanely thin and small, think its actually thinner than the 84 paddle head I had. Balances perfectly. Sound is interesting, very middy with quite a tonal sweep across the strings owing to the mirrored P config. The trimpot on the preamp I have found very useful in dialing in a good balanced tone (I'm not 100% sure what this is controlling to be honest!)

Gigging her this evening, I shall report back!

Edited by Kev

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1497176811' post='3316265']
Sound is interesting, very middy with quite a tonal sweep across the strings owing to the mirrored P config.
[/quote]

I've found myself dialling this to the neck 80-100%, can't think of the last time it was anywhere near centre detent and I've never used it favouring the bridge pup. ;)

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1497177289' post='3316268']
I've found myself dialling this to the neck 80-100%, can't think of the last time it was anywhere near centre detent and I've never used it favouring the bridge pup. ;)
[/quote]
How interesting, I have just decided on my setting tonight, panning slightly towards the bridge with a healthy bass boost :lol: Heaps of distortion on top though, so may have something to do with it.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1497177289' post='3316268']

[/quote] I have found that warwicks generallytend to be quite sensitive to pickup height - I find myself setting the 'middyness' of them by setting the pups slightly lower