42 replies to this topic

#31 the boy

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
  • Interests:none....

Posted 03 July 2017 - 04:53 PM

You could set up your guitar amp the way you want it to sound and simply mic the amp. I use this method a lot.
Everything's relative.

#32 SH73

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:16 PM

View PostSibob, on 02 July 2017 - 11:06 AM, said:

If the issue remains, then call our Tech Support team next week (open Mon-Fri 9:30am-6pm), if anyone can solve it, they can :)

+44 01494 462246

Si

Problem solved. Re installed Ableton live on windows 10. Bought Amplitube 4 and added as Vst to Ableton plug ins. Highly addictive now. The issue with humming is minimal as good old youtube search suggested use of Gate so it's not too bad once I cut the silence parts. Thanks for advice.
Gear:

Steve Harris signature P-bass, Royal Blue MIJ, fitted with SPB-4
Squier C vibe jazz bass, white with tortoise pickguard and Seymour Duncan pickups, rosewood neck
Squier Matt Freeman, vintage white with maple neck

Squier telecaster electric guitar black with white pickguard, maple neck
Epiphone Les Paul gold top
A rebuild in progress

Fender Rumble 100w
Hartke DI pedal
TC spectracom

Fender Mustang 1
Ibanez TS-9
Cry baby wah pedal
DS-1
Orange burst overdrive

#33 SH73

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:18 PM

View Postthe boy, on 03 July 2017 - 04:53 PM, said:

You could set up your guitar amp the way you want it to sound and simply mic the amp. I use this method a lot.
I've done it loads but at the moment I have to set it up each time I record so opted for di until I get a music room.
Gear:

Squier C vibe jazz bass, white with tortoise pickguard and Seymour Duncan pickups, rosewood neck

A rebuild in progress

Fender Rumble 100w
Hartke DI pedal
TC spectracom

Fender Mustang 1
Ibanez TS-9
Cry baby wah pedal
DS-1
Orange burst overdrive

#34 bazztard

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Learning YYZ note for note :)

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:10 AM

View PostSH73, on 10 June 2017 - 09:28 AM, said:

I can record bass via Hartke di into interface but guitar plugged into interface sounds unbearable even when I tried it through Hartke.Hence I'm after a guitar di pedal.

yes it's an issue with gen I 2i2s. Upgrading this to a Gen II will fix it as they've reconfigured the gain structure on it.

OR turn your guitar volume down if possible.

Radial make great DIs, great for bass and guitar, I have the J48, essential for a gigging bassist. But you don't have to spend that much, any cheap DI will do (I hope), maybe Behringer?

Edited by bazztard, 07 July 2017 - 06:22 AM.

"I follow a long line of famous bass men, like the guy in the Who or the guy in Led Zeppelin who isn't Plant Page or Bonham"

#35 SH73

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:07 PM

Humming is still there. I tweaked the gate and humming noise only comes back when I play.Yhis is really frustrating.

Gear:

A rebuild in progress

Fender Rumble 100w
Hartke DI pedal
TC spectracom

Fender Mustang 1
Ibanez TS-9
Cry baby wah pedal
DS-1
Orange burst overdrive

#36 Sibob

Beyond hope

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,410 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:18 PM

View PostSH73, on 10 July 2017 - 10:07 PM, said:

Humming is still there. I tweaked the gate and humming noise only comes back when I play.Yhis is really frustrating.

Talk to Tech Support, there may be a fault but they'll help trouble shoot it.

Si

BassChat Terms and Conditions

Lakland | Fender | Markbass | Barefaced

Instagram/Twitter: @SimonRPoulton | Blog (Bassist Interviews etc)

#37 SH73

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:28 PM

View PostSibob, on 10 July 2017 - 10:18 PM, said:

Talk to Tech Support, there may be a fault but they'll help trouble shoot it.

Si
I think i located the main culprit. It's the laptop charger! On batteries it soundd decent. As soon as I connect the charger, there it is: his his, buz buz, hum hum etc
Gear:

A rebuild in progress

Fender Rumble 100w
Hartke DI pedal
TC spectracom

Fender Mustang 1
Ibanez TS-9
Cry baby wah pedal
DS-1
Orange burst overdrive

#38 Sibob

Beyond hope

• Global Moderators
  • 6,410 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:48 PM

That sounds like a ground loop hum.....which usually only rears it's ugly head when monitoring over speakers (with unbalanced cables) as opposed to being recorded and also heard on Headphones.
But hey, computers can be weird!
If it's a cheap laptop, then the internal power supplies are often a bit crap, sometimes once they're engaged (by plugging in the power), they can cause the USB ports to act strangely. We saw this with a number of laptops simply dropping peripheral devices on some USB ports when connecting to power, perhaps in your case it's just adding some noise if struggling to power it properly.....maybe. Would be interesting to test the 2i2 on other computers that perhaps fall above yours in the budget/specs etc.

Anyway, I know it's not idea, but at least you've found the culprit. If you still want some advice, do contact Tech Support, as they will be more on top of any recent known issues with laptop brands than I am.

Cheers
Si

#39 SH73

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:14 PM

View PostSibob, on 11 July 2017 - 01:48 PM, said:

That sounds like a ground loop hum.....which usually only rears it's ugly head when monitoring over speakers (with unbalanced cables) as opposed to being recorded and also heard on Headphones.
If it's a cheap laptop, then the internal power supplies are often a bit crap, sometimes once they're engaged (by plugging in the power), they can cause the USB ports to act strangely. We saw this with a number of laptops simply dropping peripheral devices on some USB ports when connecting to power, perhaps in your case it's just adding some noise if struggling to power it properly.....maybe. Would be interesting to test the 2i2 on other computers that perhaps fall above yours in the budget/specs etc.

Anyway, I know it's not idea, but at least you've found the culprit. If you still want some advice, do contact Tech Support, as they will be more on top of any recent known issues with laptop brands than I am.

Cheers
Si

Cheers Si
Gear:

A rebuild in progress

Fender Rumble 100w
Hartke DI pedal
TC spectracom

Fender Mustang 1
Ibanez TS-9
Cry baby wah pedal
DS-1
Orange burst overdrive

#40 JapanAxe

My other bass is a Precision.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:31 PM

View PostSibob, on 11 July 2017 - 01:48 PM, said:

Cheers
Si

My old Dell laptop had an earth connection through its power supply, so connecting any earthed musical kit caused a loud hum. I replaced the power supply with a generic one (with Class II wiring - no earth connection) and all was fine.
Bass Guitars | Fender Precision (USA 1973) | Fender Precision '63 AVRI (USA 2015) | Fender Mustang FSR (Japan 2016) | Kala U-bass

Backline | Demeter VTBP-M-800D | Markbass Nano Mark 300 | Barefaced Compact & Midget (vintage silver) | Markbass Micromark 801

Posted Image FEEDBACK

#41 Sibob

Beyond hope

• Global Moderators
  • 6,410 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:42 AM

View PostJapanAxe, on 12 July 2017 - 09:31 PM, said:

My old Dell laptop had an earth connection through its power supply, so connecting any earthed musical kit caused a loud hum. I replaced the power supply with a generic one (with Class II wiring - no earth connection) and all was fine.

Yeah, seems to be happening more and more now we're seeing cheaper and cheaper PC laptops.

Si

#42 lurksalot

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,621 posts
  • Interests:mostly base ........oh and bass

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:41 PM

I had an earth loop recently so pronounced that the tuner was picking it up , G# I think it was , now that was a noise , it eventually turned out that a new consumer unit in the garage had been fitted with the tails the wrong way around so the whole house was reverse polarity !!
When I said lower the frequency , I didn't mean only on christmas and birthdays, blue moons Preston Guilds

Please Vote in the BC Monthly Challenges , composition and photographic , you know it makes sense.

BassChat Terms & Conditions ............... Forum Behaviour Guidelines ............... Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

#43 Sibob

Beyond hope

• Global Moderators
  • 6,410 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:21 PM

View Postlurksalot, on 13 July 2017 - 01:41 PM, said:

I had an earth loop recently so pronounced that the tuner was picking it up , G# I think it was , now that was a noise , it eventually turned out that a new consumer unit in the garage had been fitted with the tails the wrong way around so the whole house was reverse polarity !!

Laaaaaaame lol

Si

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users