Why become a member? ×

Advice on guitar di

SH73

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1498776638' post='3327041']

Cheers, I lowered the volume to make sure it's in green not clipping etc. But the high pitched noise is there even when I don't play which is frustrating. I turned away from laptop, extended the ethernal and nothing.
[/quote]

You shouldn't be getting any high-pitched noise at all (obviously), so adding a DI box isn't really solving the issue long term.
Is the high pitch being recorded? Or just from your speakers?
If the latter, how are you monitoring yourself? Through speakers connected to the rear of the 2i2? If so, are younusing balanced cables? (Two black bands around each 1/4" plug?). Does the same sound happen when monitoring using headphones from the 2i2?

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1498917717' post='3327975']

You shouldn't be getting any high-pitched noise at all (obviously), so adding a DI box isn't really solving the issue long term.
Is the high pitch being recorded? Or just from your speakers?
If the latter, how are you monitoring yourself? Through speakers connected to the rear of the 2i2? If so, are younusing balanced cables? (Two black bands around each 1/4" plug?). Does the same sound happen when monitoring using headphones from the 2i2?

Si
[/quote]

I'm using headphones and the dound remains post recording. I've just reluctantly upgraded to Windows 10 and will buy Amplitube 4 so need to test it again.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1498993602' post='3328390']
If the issue remains, then call our Tech Support team next week (open Mon-Fri 9:30am-6pm), if anyone can solve it, they can :)

+44 01494 462246

Si
[/quote]

Problem solved. Re installed Ableton live on windows 10. Bought Amplitube 4 and added as Vst to Ableton plug ins. Highly addictive now. The issue with humming is minimal as good old youtube search suggested use of Gate so it's not too bad once I cut the silence parts. Thanks for advice.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1499100781' post='3329174']
You could set up your guitar amp the way you want it to sound and simply mic the amp. I use this method a lot.
[/quote]
I've done it loads but at the moment I have to set it up each time I record so opted for di until I get a music room.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1497086886' post='3315729']
I can record bass via Hartke di into interface but guitar plugged into interface sounds unbearable even when I tried it through Hartke.Hence I'm after a guitar di pedal.
[/quote]

yes it's an issue with gen I 2i2s. Upgrading this to a Gen II will fix it as they've reconfigured the gain structure on it.

OR turn your guitar volume down if possible.

Radial make great DIs, great for bass and guitar, I have the J48, essential for a gigging bassist. But you don't have to spend that much, any cheap DI will do (I hope), maybe Behringer?

Edited by bazztard

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1499724444' post='3333223']
Humming is still there. I tweaked the gate and humming noise only comes back when I play.Yhis is really frustrating.
[/quote]

Talk to Tech Support, there may be a fault but they'll help trouble shoot it.

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1499725104' post='3333224']

Talk to Tech Support, there may be a fault but they'll help trouble shoot it.

Si
[/quote]
I think i located the main culprit. It's the laptop charger! On batteries it soundd decent. As soon as I connect the charger, there it is: his his, buz buz, hum hum etc

That sounds like a ground loop hum.....which usually only rears it's ugly head when monitoring over speakers (with unbalanced cables) as opposed to being recorded and also heard on Headphones.
But hey, computers can be weird!
If it's a cheap laptop, then the internal power supplies are often a bit crap, sometimes once they're engaged (by plugging in the power), they can cause the USB ports to act strangely. We saw this with a number of laptops simply dropping peripheral devices on some USB ports when connecting to power, perhaps in your case it's just adding some noise if struggling to power it properly.....maybe. Would be interesting to test the 2i2 on other computers that perhaps fall above yours in the budget/specs etc.

Anyway, I know it's not idea, but at least you've found the culprit. If you still want some advice, do contact Tech Support, as they will be more on top of any recent known issues with laptop brands than I am.

Cheers
Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1499780932' post='3333555']
That sounds like a ground loop hum.....which usually only rears it's ugly head when monitoring over speakers (with unbalanced cables) as opposed to being recorded and also heard on Headphones.
If it's a cheap laptop, then the internal power supplies are often a bit crap, sometimes once they're engaged (by plugging in the power), they can cause the USB ports to act strangely. We saw this with a number of laptops simply dropping peripheral devices on some USB ports when connecting to power, perhaps in your case it's just adding some noise if struggling to power it properly.....maybe. Would be interesting to test the 2i2 on other computers that perhaps fall above yours in the budget/specs etc.

Anyway, I know it's not idea, but at least you've found the culprit. If you still want some advice, do contact Tech Support, as they will be more on top of any recent known issues with laptop brands than I am.

Cheers
Si
[/quote]

Cheers Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1499780932' post='3333555']

Cheers
Si
[/quote]

My old Dell laptop had an earth connection through its power supply, so connecting any earthed musical kit caused a loud hum. I replaced the power supply with a generic one (with Class II wiring - no earth connection) and all was fine.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1499895094' post='3334431']
My old Dell laptop had an earth connection through its power supply, so connecting any earthed musical kit caused a loud hum. I replaced the power supply with a generic one (with Class II wiring - no earth connection) and all was fine.
[/quote]

Yeah, seems to be happening more and more now we're seeing cheaper and cheaper PC laptops.

Si

I had an earth loop recently so pronounced that the tuner was picking it up , G# I think it was , now that was a noise , it eventually turned out that a new consumer unit in the garage had been fitted with the tails the wrong way around so the whole house was reverse polarity !!

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1499953314' post='3334784']
I had an earth loop recently so pronounced that the tuner was picking it up , G# I think it was , now that was a noise , it eventually turned out that a new consumer unit in the garage had been fitted with the tails the wrong way around so the whole house was reverse polarity !!
[/quote]

Laaaaaaame lol

Si