Why become a member? ×

Problems with a stuck/stiff truss rod

I'm trying to lift the action on a Yamaha RBX A2, because although it's easy to play the fret buzz is doing my nut in. The neck seems really straight.

I've tried to loosen the truss rod - but it just feels "springy" - in that the rotation I think I've put into the adjuster, just moves back when I release pressure.

I've tried tightening it, in an attempt to free it off, but this springy feeling happens in both directions, probably after about a sixteenth of a turn, if I'm being optimistic.

Any advice on how to proceed, oh, learned ones?

Update:

Nasty big crack noise - but I think I've got it moving. Followed by another big crack noise, followed by a slightly better crack noise.

I'm just going to give it a little more...

Edit:
Yep - got much better the more I adjusted it. Glad I was brave. :D

On to string height...

Edited by missis sumner

[quote name='missis sumner' timestamp='1497099686' post='3315845']
Update:

Nasty big crack noise - but I think I've got it moving. Followed by another big crack noise, followed by a slightly better crack noise.

I'm just going to give it a little more...
[/quote]

I experienced exactly this when working on a customer's Yamaha bass a while back. When the first crack occurred, I really thought the rod had snapped but actually all was good. I did then take the nut right off and applied some grease before proceeding.

Did you have to take the neck off to apply the grease? (I've never taken a neck off).

Anyway, I've sorted mine now. There were a few more creaks but they were decreasing as I went on. All set up - now it's time to play! :D

Edit: I have other Yamahas, and never experienced this problem, but I suppose the plastic RBX A2 is a bit "speshul". lol

Edited by missis sumner

[quote name='missis sumner' timestamp='1497103221' post='3315869']
Doesn't Plusgas have a freezing (cold) effect? You've used it around wood? (Or am I thinking of another product for removing rusty exhausts?)
[/quote]
That is the propellant in the can which helps in circumstances like you describe , the actual plusgas is a thin oil that also has a substance in it that helps break the rust down. You wouldnt use a can as it would put way to much in. Use a syringe or pipette as I suggested and you can put just a drop or two exactly where you need it. It wouldn't harm the wood but won't touch it anyway. You don't want to drown that area in any oil based substance. I used to do a lot of target shooting and our armourer used the term 'enough oil to coat a sparrows feather', it's fits in this instance too. Less is more in this case.

Edited by T-Bay