Why become a member? ×

Faulty bridge saddle?

bonzodog

I have a MIM jazz that ive owned from new for about 2 months. It's played fine but I decided to put new strings on it yesterday (roto swing 66) and gigged it last night.
All was going well until half way through first set I had a problem my E string. It suddenly went quite loose but not loose enough to be a broken string. I quickly swapped to my backup bass and completed gig.

Upon inspection this morning the string is fine but what's happened is the saddle has dropped to the bottom of the screws either side that determine the height. It was set up fine with no screws showing on the saddle but now it's dropped and what is odd is both screws are now showing either side of the saddle. The whole saddle was lying flat on the bridge plate. I've re-adjusted it and played for half hour today without problem but worried it will happen again.
Has this happened to anyone else?

Yeh, used to happen on one of the threaded type saddles on my 50's p bass. Annoying. People say it can be cured by painting nail varnish or similar into the thread. But I dont agree with having to botch such things! Dunno, I've used Fenders all my life but starting to get tired of having to solve issues just to make em playable. The only bridges I havnt had problems with were both Squire Japan Silver Series basses.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1497178108' post='3316277']
Oh no you'll upset the bbot fans that say they are faultless and that this never happens!

Slap a Badass on it :D
[/quote]

It's virtually brand new. I'm going to take it back to guitarguitar in Birmingham to sort it

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1497183513' post='3316342']
May give nail polish a go then. Might be just me but I get annoyed spending £600 on a guitar that i cant play after a few weeks because of something so simple to get right.
[/quote]
No - take it back to guitarguitar. They should be able to pop a new saddle on there and then. This is a basic and shouldn't happen - it actually renders the item not fit for purpose and is a manufacturing flaw covered by standard warranty and sale of goods rights.

But you don't need to be at all narky with them - these things happen. Just explain what happened and ask them politely and with a smile to fix it.

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1497202173' post='3316509']

No - take it back to guitarguitar. They should be able to pop a new saddle on there and then. This is a basic and shouldn't happen - it actually renders the item not fit for purpose and is a manufacturing flaw covered by standard warranty and sale of goods rights.

But you don't need to be at all narky with them - these things happen. Just explain what happened and ask them politely and with a smile to fix it.
[/quote]

Yes you are right. Will drop it into them this week

• 2 weeks later...

The bass is not fit, period! Take it back and ask for a replacement without problems. It's your hard earned money, it's their job to build you the best bass possible with no issues.

OT:

I allways wonder how people can be so Fender-blind when it comes to build&QC issues. There are a lot of documented fixes for a number of well known problems with P's and J's ("add string retainer for better break angle, add neck shim for lower action, replace bbot for better sustain, replace pots for CTS for lower noise, cover PU and electronics chamber for lower RF interference, replace tuners with ultralites to prevent neck dive, add piece of paper under string on the nut to prevent buzz, tweak the trussrod to help with dead spots, varnish in the threads, etc...). Normally some of these people are the first to knock off another builder because of an isolated issue, yet, when confronted with QC issues on "F's" they just look at one of these fixes as a normal thing.

I also lost count on the number of threads/posts i've read about people recently getting their hands on a "F" and already thinking about ways to mod it so it sounds/plays even better. Personally, i prefer to spend my money on a bass that has a great build and QC and has a core tone wich serves me straight out of the box.

The fact is that a bass so expensive can't leave the factory with so many problems and seeing that this behaviour continues makes me believe [b]IMO[/b] that Fender couldn't care less for their customers and just want to fill their wallets with the lowest investment possible.

Rant over...

Edited by Ghost_Bass

I did take it back to guitarguitar who then passed it to their repair guy. Had a call 3 days later to say it was ready and it's been fine ever since, having used it for 2 gigs. Only problem is when I picked it up they couldn't tell me exactly what the repair guy had done as there was no record and he wasn't in the day I collected it.