Why become a member? ×

VT-Bass pedal... keep coming back to it

mcnach

I've had a VT-Bass pedal for quite a while (in fact, I used to own two v2 units, now I just own one with the Putnam mod adding a DI XLR socket to it).

I go through phases where I think I don't really need it... and just before I am about to put it for sale, a situation arises where I need an overdrive pedal and this one just keeps coming with the right sounds.

VT-bass: the pedal that refuses to go away. :)

Haha......i 100% know where you are coming from. My tube amp is in for repairs at the mo so I just got another (7th one since they came out at my count ) to go into a old peavy head.
Been through a lot of other preamp peds......but this just works. Fantastic into a foh pa

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1497201950' post='3316506']
Haha......i 100% know where you are coming from. My tube amp is in for repairs at the mo so I just got another (7th one since they came out at my count ) to go into a old peavy head.
Been through a lot of other preamp peds......but this just works. Fantastic into a foh pa
[/quote]

the speaker simulation built into it is pretty handy if you use a very distorted sound, as it generally sounds horrible from DI to the main PA... it's not the best sounding but it works pretty well.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1497204226' post='3316530']
It's the one pedal I too use constantly.
[/quote]

I'm in a bad situation right now. It's making me remember why I had two of the things... as it covers such a wide range of sounds, I used to set one with a smooth thick low overdrive sound, and another with a higher gain kind of sound... They react very well to the midrange EQ knob in my Stingray, which almost works as an on-board drive knob... with two pedals you cover a lot of ground.
I guess I might own two again sometime in the near future :lol:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1497210532' post='3316592']

the speaker simulation built into it is pretty handy if you use a very distorted sound, as it generally sounds horrible from DI to the main PA... it's not the best sounding but it works pretty well.
[/quote]

I actually really like the distorted sound without the speaker sim (I run mine into poweramp/barefaced cab). But seeing as the speaker sim button only defeats it for the 1/4" output and not the DI output on my VT Bass Deluxe I dont use it.

[quote name='Ruck' timestamp='1497215311' post='3316640']
I actually really like the distorted sound without the speaker sim (I run mine into poweramp/barefaced cab). But seeing as the speaker sim button only defeats it for the 1/4" output and not the DI output on my VT Bass Deluxe I dont use it.
[/quote]

Through a speaker cab I also prefer to deactivate the speaker sim, it's when it goes through the DI that it becomes very useful as it tames the harshness you'd otherwise get. If I had the DeLuxe then I'd probably deactivate it all the time, like you do.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1497226584' post='3316691']

Through a speaker cab I also prefer to deactivate the speaker sim, it's when it goes through the DI that it becomes very useful as it tames the harshness you'd otherwise get. If I had the DeLuxe then I'd probably deactivate it all the time, like you do.
[/quote]

Normally a speaker sim would tame the harshness yes, but the VT is a little weird. Turning the speaker sim off also adds in a filter that rolls off loads of treble. So in effect, it sounds brighter and harsher with the speaker sim on!

[quote name='Ruck' timestamp='1497228760' post='3316697']
oops sorry i wasnt clear I meant I leave it on all the time because for some reason the speaker sim button doesnt disengage it for the DI out just the 1/4" out
[/quote]

This would make sense to me design wise. Send a speaker sim signal to the desk, and a brighter full range signal to the cab. However since disabling the speaker sim makes it darker due to the additional filter, it doesn't work that way in practice.

The VT DI fixes this though I think by having this extra treble filter separated out to a 'bite' switch. But then it throws a spanner in the works by not being able to have the speaker sim on the XLR only!

There is a mod on the VT Bass pedal to disable the high cut filter when the speaker sim is disengaged. The "bite" switch when engaged is the stock VT Bass sound. It adds a presence boost and subsonic filter that gives distorted sounds more focus.

The speaker sim on our SansAmps utilizes a gentle EQ curve that was designed to work with a traditional speaker as well as when running direct. It does not have a brick wall treble cut like some digital speaker sims.

I use the VT bass DI all the time now as a DI into PA. We use IEM so this seemed like a good way to go ad I am very happy with the results. I use second output into effects loop of amp for on stage monitoring (if IEM goes down) and a little extra heft to the sound. The only thing I find is that the level control is a little twitchy and I get the odd bit of clipping if I happen to hit a string a little enthusiastically rather than a nice smooth overdrive that you wold get from the amp... I can't seem to quite get the optimum levels between bass and pedal. I may just put a limiter pedal just before it just to smooth out the input gain.

Edited by randythoades