Why become a member? ×

Cutting / sawing acrylic / perspex - any tips ?

fleabag

I've got a chap who knows how to rout templates, on the job, and accurately too

Jabb, you may remember me PM ing you about filling pup routs - well i managed, and shockingly , made a good job of it.

I went to my local wood yard and bagged up some of their sanding dust. They were real helpful, showed me where they stored it, and left me alone to help meself

I made a semi runny paste of dust and some quality wood glue - cant remember the name but its yellow-ish. I shaped some wood in a rough shape making sure i could get the semi runny paste below, down the sides and over the top. I built it up in stages letting the mixture dry for at least 36 hours each time. Both pup routs are now filled and sanded back, also the front mounted cavity ( jazz stylee ) is also filled /sanded

I left about 4 or 5 mm at the very surface so i could finish with a light real wood filler for ultra smooth finish

Blew over the body with primer and to my surprise. there was only a little extra filling needed. It was easier to see the bits i'd missed after
the primer was on.

I'll get the body sprayed after the new routing's done. After that, fit Aguilar soapbars and Noll pre. Done !

I might be the only still reading this :)
More work completed - specifically the routs have been filled, and sanded

First photo is the back of the body still sporting the original colour which has faded to a yellow-ish white from pure white

So trying to match the colour for the bridge, knobs and tuning pegs was a nightmare, because the only other option was a custom sprayer who could use some software magic to match it. Too expensive i would have thought

Eventually i found some rattle can stuff from RustOleum called Heirloom White which was as close as i could get. Not a bad match in the end if you look at the tuning pegs, which were sprayed with Heirloom. The back of the neck and body are the original factory faded colour

The next photo is the front, with routs filled, sanded and undercoat sprayed, which is a stark looking white, but this will eventually
be sprayed with the Heirloom White, after i get the template back from friendly geezer bertbass and the new routs for the Aguilar soapbars and new rear cavity are sorted

Edited by fleabag