Why become a member? ×

Spector Euro 4LX - Mids (help please!)

Freddie75

Hi guys,

I have a lovely Spector Euro 4lx running through Genz Streamliner 900 into TC Electronics RS212.

With my Fender Jazz Deluxe bass - it sounds great. However I find it hard trying to cut through with the Spector. I have the bass set flat, but even with he streamliner bass tuner down, it still sounds muddy to my ear.

I have a EWS mid control pedal but that doesn't seem to be doing a great deal even after trying various settings. I have the pedal running on a 9volt supply.

I love the way the Spector plays and feels so I really want to percevere here.

I'm guessing that my options are as follows:

1) Get an 18volt power supply for the EWS pedal - but will this help?

2) Get the tonepump preamp replaced with an Aguilar OBP 3 preamp in the bass itself

3) Purchase a preamp pedal ie tonehammer.

Obviously if I can help it, I don't want to throw money at something if it's going to be a gamble of the outcome.

Has anyone else been in this situation with this bass?

Any help is really appreciated!

I love my set up so I want to work with the amp and cab I have.

Much appreciated
Freddie

I can only offer a 'if it was me' opinion rather than experience of replacing the preamp in a Spector myself.

I always think that if you cant get the sound right from the bass, you arent going to sort things out with pedals, but that is just my experience. I presume your Spector had the Tonepump preamp? If so I have heard that the Tonepump is not that great and is often the only thing worth upgrading on these basses. I notice Spector are putting the Aguilar preamp in a lot of their USA basses as well as their own HAZ preamp? so I would go for a new internal preamp, easily done, easily reversible if it doesn't work and you can always sell the preamp if you don't like it for reasonable money.

I found a similar problem with my Euro 4. Just lacked a bit in the midrange.

I replaced the Tonepump with an EMG BQC System which gave me the 3 band eq with a variable midrange. Sounds awesome now, especially as the BQC integrates really well with the EMGs in the bass.

I've also modded the bass to run at 24v so there's loads of headroom now.

http://www.emgpickups.com/bqcsystem.html

Don't forget that despite what you might have read, the Tone Pump pre-amp is not gain only. If by having it flat you mean that both bass and treble controls are at their minimum, then you will actually be attenuating the higher frequencies and thereby reducing its ability to "cut through".

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1497288526' post='3317069']
Don't forget that despite what you might have read, the Tone Pump pre-amp is not gain only. If by having it flat you mean that both bass and treble controls are at their minimum, then you will actually be attenuating the higher frequencies and thereby reducing its ability to "cut through".
[/quote]

Thanks for the response. By Flat I read somewhere that it's a 3rd way up on the bass and a little less on the treble (Or other way round lol), either way it doesn't cut through anywhere near as nice as my jazz does.

Giving the EWS pedal an 18v power supply could help mate. The Fender has an 18v pre amp - is the Spector 9v? My Maruszczyk has a 9v circuit which is great in isolation, but seems a little lightweight vs my Jazz Deluxe.

[quote name='Freddie75' timestamp='1497289274' post='3317080']

Thanks for the response. By Flat I read somewhere that it's a 3rd way up on the bass and a little less on the treble (Or other way round lol), either way it doesn't cut through anywhere near as nice as my jazz does.
[/quote]
You'd be surprised how many people think that the Tone Pump is boost only. I think I have mine at about 12 o'clock for both but that's the 5 string variant with the EMG DC soapbars (quite a modern sounding pickup) - I assume yours is the PJ?

Edited by darkandrew