Why become a member? ×

Band Name Domains Etc...

NickD

I'm new to all this shizzle, I usually just join a band, do my bit and sod off home, but I appear to inadvertently started a project.

I'm not usually one for putting the cart before the horse, I routinely roll my eyes at bands that have logos, blurb, pics etc before the music is sorted, but as the project is coming together a name has presented itself, that appears unlikely to get me sued according to Google.

What I'd like to do is to get a domain sorted, so I can have things like [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email], [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email], [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email], and similar things, maybe with the option of having [url="http://www.bandname.co.uk"]www.bandname.co.uk[/url] further down the line. I'm guessing this won't give me any rights over the name, but at least the domain/email address would be mine.

Also I'd like either a big enough provider likely to be around for a while, or something that I can transfer elsewhere if necessary, so as not to lose it.

Any info about other sites that it would be a good idea to set up an account to secure it... Bandcamp, etc, would also be really useful too.

I'd be grateful for any guidance from anyone who's done this kind of thing?

Thanks!

I am just doing ours with WIX, great mobile friendly platform with great modern templates and its all drag and drop. Also you can buy mailboxes and domain names with them. I signed up for a free account and two days later was offered 50% off their packages, it is ridiculously cheap per year.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1497277519' post='3316960']
I am just doing ours with WIX, great mobile friendly platform with great modern templates and its all drag and drop. Also you can buy mailboxes and domain names with them. I signed up for a free account and two days later was offered 50% off their packages, it is ridiculously cheap per year.
[/quote]

+1 for wix here too..... seems to work for us.

Guest bassman7755

Its a good idea to separate domain hosting and actual email/web provider.

Register the domain with somewhere like http://www.freeparking.co.uk, you can then "point" the domain web address and email to anywhere else e.g. point the email at your existing account (e.g. a gmail account) and the web address to where your hosting is.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1497277519' post='3316960']
[/quote]
Can I be cheeky and ask how much?

Yeah no problem, I think I got a domain name, their package with loads of bandwidth etc I think its their 'Unlimited' package for about £55 for the year. I guess if you went with wordpress and got independent hosting etc it might be a bit cheaper, but for what you get I think WIX is a bargain.