Why become a member? ×

Fender Rumble 60 at a rehearsal studio..... really??

markdavid

Hi
Had a rehearsal with a newly joined band at the weekend, the rehearsal studio is one that they use as its very cheap, hadn't been there before and walked in there expecting to plug into maybe a 200w bass amp, or at least 150w........ There was a Fender Rumble 60 there!!!! It actually held up admirably considering the low wattage but I spent a lot of time stood right next to the amp and a fair bit of time fiddling with the eq in an attempt to hear my bass properly, also when I played high up the neck it had some degree of overdrive from being cranked to the max.
The guitar amp was a Marshall 100watt !!!

Anyone had any similar experiences to this?

Edited by markdavid

Yep, but not very often. I used to go to a newly open practice studio where the people who specced the kit had no idea that bass amps are different from guitar ones, so they bought bass and guitar amps with the same wattage. Didn't hear a thing all night. Never went again.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1497282536' post='3317007']
IMHO - a 60 watt amp should be OK for rehearsals.

It's not a gig, and shouldn't be done at gig volumes.

YMMV!
[/quote]I used to use a Laney 75 watt combo with our old drummer which just about held up but not with our new drummer, no chance, the rehearsal studio we use had a Trace Elliot head for me to use, lovely bit of kit so I went out and bought my own,

YMMV!
[/quote]
+1 I have done a few rehearsals with a 15w practice amp (to be fair it wasn't great), we never crank the volume too high. No point.

YMMV!
[/quote]
[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1497283138' post='3317019']
+1 I have done a few rehearsals with a 15w practice amp (to be fair it wasn't great), we never crank the volume too high. No point.
[/quote]
I suppose this is an example of ymmv , I had the amp cranked to full blast , could barely hear a thing,the rare moments when I could hear the bass was distorted to hell, I think if we an accoustic trio a 60 watt amp would be fine but once the drums and everything kicked in the volume just dissapeared

[quote name='stef030' timestamp='1497288114' post='3317062']
the place we use there is a 1/12 trace 75 watt or so
is plenty loud enough
[/quote]doesn't count, Trace watts are way louder than anybody else's, especially class D ones

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1497284457' post='3317031']
Amps? For the use of the bands? Blimey, the studio we use has electric light and a Dimplex heater. And that's it.
[/quote]
We always used to bring our own backline as well. Is it expected now for rehearsal studios to provide this?

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1497292641' post='3317122']
We always used to bring our own backline as well. Is it expected now for rehearsal studios to provide this?
[/quote]most rehearsal rooms I know provide a backline and basic drum kit (bring beakables)saves lugging you gear to practice every week, makes it a lot more enjoyable
[quote name='The59Sound' timestamp='1497292965' post='3317129']
We always practice at gig levels so we're more used to how it will be on the night.

A 300w bass amp really should be the minimum for a rehearsal room.
[/quote]unless you've got a room full of people at your rehearsals and you play in the same size room I wouldn't have thought it would sound the same as a gig

We always practice at gig levels so we're more used to how it will be on the night.

[/quote]

I've practiced in the next room to bands like that, I hope you wear ear plugs! :D

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1497293619' post='3317144']
Unless you've got a room full of people at your rehearsals and you play in the same size room I wouldn't have thought it would sound the same as a gig
[/quote]

Tiny with no one there? Yep! :P

Edited by The59Sound

The rehearsal room we sometimes use has some interesting gear, a 4x10 cab with 3 speakers in it, I will let others guess what ohmage that will be running at and another 4x10 with only 2 speakers working, you will probably not be surprised that I take my own amp and cabs!

[/quote]

We always rehearse at low volume. Its easier to spot errors and easier to call a halt to sort them out If you can hear exactly what the whole band is doing, more so when working up new songs.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1497293619' post='3317144']
most rehearsal rooms I know provide a backline and basic drum kit (bring beakables)saves lugging you gear to practice every week, makes it a lot more enjoyable
[/quote]

Things have changed! When I was gigging, all the rehearsal studios would provide was a PA and a few beaten up old mics.

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1497311989' post='3317275']
Things have changed! When I was gigging, all the rehearsal studios would provide was a PA and a few beaten up old mics.
[/quote]

It was as Paul says in Dublin thirty years ago.

Twenty quid an hour got us a large room in a large ex-residential building in the city centre. All of the rooms had a basic drum kit and PA. You could then hire additional amps and cabs for the session. Kit was used and sometimes the worse for wear but it was never a problem to change it on request.

These days, in Derby at least, it is not that different. With inflation the rates are actually better now.
http://www.musicshed.co.uk/index.html

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1497325437' post='3317282']
go DI into the PA. That's what we all do, even the drummer ! yes, electric kit for ease of practice,real drums live.
[/quote]

Indeed.

If you're practicing, DI.

If you're rehearsing take the gear you'll be gigging with. Otherwise it's not really a rehearsal.