Why become a member? ×

Mesa D800+ vs D800 - adjustable HPF rawks. (NAD)

mcnach

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1498002630' post='3321961']
I believe Mesa controls the pricing pretty tightly, at least they did when I bought my Mesa 400+ about 20 years ago.
[/quote]
I understand that manufacturers need to control retail pricing but in this instance the UK customer is paying a massive premium because it seems of the extra hands the product is passing through without adding any value.

Edited by Sparky Mark

I just wrote this on the "best amp ... thread":

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Four gigs on in a variety of settings, indoor, outdoor, DI'd, mic'd, without support...[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This thing is fantastic. It works fantastically well with a pair of BF Two10 cabs... you feel it, it hits you, even when it's not set too loud... I love this amp, I love this combination. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This weekend over three gigs I made a trombone player fall in love with my rig (at one point I thought he was going to hump it [/font][/color] :lol:[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]), I had two sound guys wanting to know what I was using and they drooled over it because it sounded so good, I had random audience members telling me how nice the sound was, and one guy I met in the street afterwards remembered me and my Stingray and that he loved the sound... [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I was already pretty happy with the way it sounded, but if I had any doubts that it was just my imagination, the doubts are all removed now. [/font][/color]

Good move.

I had a guy from the audience come up to me last week and say, "I'm not listening to the rest of the band. I'm only listening to your bass. It sounds fantastic."

What's that urban myth. . . . no one notices the bass player?

They do if you make them want to!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1498393160' post='3324254']
Good move.

I had a guy from the audience come up to me last week and say, "I'm not listening to the rest of the band. I'm only listening to your bass. It sounds fantastic."

What's that urban myth. . . . no one notices the bass player?

They do if you make them want to!
[/quote]

With regards to noticing you, it doesn't count if you play naked. That's cheating.
Apparently.
I wish someone had told me before the whole issue with the police...

I'm an owner of a D800 and I just LOVES IT!:)
Combining that with two TKS112 or PH610.
Reading that you are using BFs and also owning S112.
Have you compared those??:)
GAS coming to me so I probably need to try out the BFs...:) Hard to find here in Sweden though...

[quote name='Overdrive777' timestamp='1498395178' post='3324273'] I'm an owner of a D800 and I just LOVES IT!:) Combining that with two TKS112 or PH610. Reading that you are using BFs and also owning S112. Have you compared those??:) GAS coming to me so I probably need to try out the BFs...:) Hard to find here in Sweden though... [/quote]

I have not tried the D800+ with the TKS S112 vs Two10. I did try a D800 with two or four TKS S112 a while ago (D800, and also a MarkBass LM3 and a GB Streamliner 900). Without a doubt the D800 sounded 'bigger' and was my favourite, but the LM3 was perfectly adequate and I did not feel at the time I wanted to change.
Now, the S112 cabs are really nice sounding but they don't have the depth that many bigger cabs have. I love their sound, and it works for me, and they're so light and portable, what's not to like? I just never expect a big bass sound from them. They don't sound wimpy (you know that, of course), they just don't hit you like a big 810 would, unsurprisingly, and that's ok.
I find the Two10 a bit on the same ballpark as the S112... in the sense that I can get a very very very similar tone out of them. In particular I liked how on the S112s the treble doesn't get brittle, the low midrange is nice and strong, and the low end retains great definition. They're very tolerant of silly adjustments. They're not hifi at all, and that's what I like about them, they have a definite character and it is a character that suits me. With the Two10 I have something similar, even if the 'baked-in' sound is a bit different it is not that different and can easily be EQ'd to sound very much alike. But the Two10 has a much more powerful low end... and they can take a lot more power. It means that I can get a similar sound to the sound I loved on the S112, but with more oomph. When you take two of those, it is a great experience: you don't need to be very loud, but you hear it clearly and also feel it. They have that 'thump' that is so satisfying to feel when you're onstage. Even when I was just DI'd, having the two cabs was great: the sound onstage was nice and pretty even everywhere (vertical stack), and it felt good too. It's such a little extra 'hassle' that I think I'm going to start taking two cabs more often: it takes the same footprint, doesn't add more setup time, so it's only a matter of whether I need to walk with them too far (and I have a trolley).
I used the 2x Two10 with a LM3 once and I did not love it. It may have been the stage, as I have only played there once (The Arches, Coventry)... it was ok but I just didn't like it much. It did not have the oomph or the tone. Muddy, boomy stage sound... So far my experience with the D800+ has been brilliant. I think the voicing knob is very useful, very musical. I thought it'd be just another 'contour' knob but this one certainly seems useful to me, and between that, and the variable HPF, I seem to get the right sound with minimal fuss. Then I may tweak the bass knob a little, but that's all. I wonder if I had had the D800+ on that stage, I'd have been able to get a better sound. The place I played last night in Aberdeen (Krakatoa) was not very different in size, layout and type of stage... but it sounded great there. I don't know.

I think the Two10 are great cabs, but I did not come to really love them until I got the D800+, which seems to just work better than my LM3 with them, for whatever reason. So much so that my pair of S112 are now relegated to backup/home practice use. If they weren't so pretty (electric blue :lol:) I would probably have them for sale already.

[quote name='Sparky Mark' timestamp='1498086168' post='3322506']
I understand that manufacturers need to control retail pricing but in this instance the UK customer is paying a massive premium because it seems of the extra hands the product is passing through without adding any value.
[/quote]That is against the law and if you have proof that a manufacturer or distributor is trying to control retail prices you shaped report it to trading to the EU....oh funk.....

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1497988309' post='3321856']
The one thing this bag was not so good at is... the bottom: there is no padding at all!!! Very strange.
Fortunately, I had some very tough and dense foam from work, from the packaging of some large piece of equipment, and it came very handy to make a nice supportive bottom layer:

So with that at the bottom, the back of the amp is now protected too.
I use some of the remainder foam to cut a frame to fill the gap when I only carry the amp inside. It makes a good space for accessories, so I'll probably take the power and speaker cables there, and use the side pockets for other things.

It could have been better... but I'm not complaining. It'll do the job nicely and I trust this with my amp, something I could not say about the original bag, which I will use as a dust cover at home. :)
[/quote]Where did you get the bag?

• 1 year later...
On 13/06/2017 at 12:02, mcnach said:

"That's all great. However, what I'm in love with is the variable HPF control. It's the feature that made me consider this amp in the first place... and it's turned out to work much much much more nicely than I expected. I have used fixed HPF before, but this has been a revelation. It allows you to adjust the bottom end *just so*. You can still get a fat bottom end, but keep it tight and defined without crazy low end... I haven't yet tested it at a gig, as I've just got it... but I can see this is going to be incredibly useful and I think I'm going to be looking for this feature in pedal form and let my trusty Thumpinator go."

I exactly use such a Pedal with my Subway D800. It is called "The VONG Filter" and is a fully adjustable  LPF and HPF plus Phase Reverse and a Boost Function (+16db). Also on Board is a DI Out and a Ground Lift, what makes the Pedal also extremely usable for Acoustic Instruments such as Upright, or Acoustic Basses. Could be, what you're looking for....

vong-filterung-077.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Worth noting ref Mesa amp gig bag

Having done an out door festival gig this Sunday and trudged through the driving rain with amp over my shoulder back to the car, I was alarmed last night when luckily I decided to change batteries in my tuner and found the wires in the pouch wet I then opened the Amp side and it to was covers in moisture and damp. I could have easily left this soaking until our rehearsal on Thursday

So beware these bags are not weather proof lads

On 27/08/2018 at 19:36, deepbass5 said:

Worth noting ref Mesa amp gig bag

Having done an out door festival gig this Sunday and trudged through the driving rain with amp over my shoulder back to the car, I was alarmed last night when luckily I decided to change batteries in my tuner and found the wires in the pouch wet I then opened the Amp side and it to was covers in moisture and damp. I could have easily left this soaking until our rehearsal on Thursday

So beware these bags are not weather proof lads

Yes, the bag is only good as a dust cover, really.

51 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

Looks fantastic! Bass, amp and cabs look JUST  right!

Have noticed any difference in sound when stacking the cabs horizontally? 

I only did a brief test. It felt like the low end got a bit 'bigger'... but I like the vertical stacks generally and that's what I go for always. A handful of times I had to stack them horizontally due to unstable 'stages' (some of the places I play... :D ) and I was happy too, but I can't tell you exactly how the vertical configuration sounded in those cases. Also, those were invariably outdoor gigs, so that means no issue with boomy stages or reflections you get in small rooms... 

A single cab vertical (port firing downwards) has a noticeable tighter low end, when tested in a room... so I imagine that's what I hear in the vertical vs horizontal stack too.

• 1 month later...

... yeah, still loving it, but I hadto do something. Black on black looks great, however it's not the best for visibility. So I did this. The look is growing on me, it's not my favourite, but at least I can now see the settings clearly and quickly :)

20181012_233247.jpg?dl=1

20181012_233442.jpg?dl=1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcnach said:

... yeah, still loving it, but I hadto do something. Black on black looks great, however it's not the best for visibility. So I did this. The look is growing on me, it's not my favourite, but at least I can now see the settings clearly and quickly :)

20181012_233247.jpg?dl=1

20181012_233442.jpg?dl=1

VAST inprovement, linky linky if you would be so kind Jose :D

1 hour ago, karlfer said:

VAST inprovement, linky linky if you would be so kind Jose :D

eBay shop:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pointer-Knobs-for-Instruments-Effects-Pedals-Amplifiers-Guitars-Projects-Knobs/263958159865?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=563457262971&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I chose the cream ones, as the white ones were a little too bright. You planning to do the same? :)

Edited by mcnach

2 hours ago, mcnach said:

Cheers Jose, yup, possibly Orange to go with my new cabs!

• Like 1