Why become a member? ×

The fingers of newbie?

Nicko

I'm "old school" after 50 years of performing it's nothing I've ever paid much attention to.

My finger tips on my fret hand are pretty tough.

Everyone's​ DNA will be different on this one.

Blue

Edited by blue

After years of playing Acoustic Guitar and Bass my finger tips get well hardened especially playing heavy gauge Acoustic strings and the skin often splits but it doesn't bother me....what pisses me off more is breaking finger nails at work because I play mainly fingerstyle guitar

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1497687802' post='3320007']

Exactly what I was thinking.

Nicko, are you using Nickel Wound strings or Stainless Strings?

Some people have a reaction to Nickel Wound strings that makes the fingers start to peel. I had a similar reaction when I used Nickel's, but since I switched to Stainless Strings, haven't had a problem Must admit that I did think it was a load of old rowlocks, until I actually tried it out.

Also the amount of time you play will affect your fingers too. Take more breaks.

Stick with it. :)
[/quote]

THIS

I have a low level allergy to metals that I was unaware of until a few months ago. Switching to stainless steel has made a massive improvement.

[quote name='Crawford13' timestamp='1497455191' post='3318326']
I notice when you answered the question about how much you play, you said you don't play every day. I would recommend playing for even 15 mins everyday and you would be surprised how quickly the callouses will come on.
[/quote]

This.

I think playing very regularly, even if some days is not a lot, helps keeping the fingertips in shape. Mine do not feel particularly hard or anything, but I play nearly every day for a bit, and I can easily play a 3h gig without noticing anything. However, if I had a period of not playing much, even after a 2x45' gig I could feel my fingertips not exactly sore, but getting there.

And of course, watching the pressure. You don't need a lot of pressure against the frets, so a lighter touch will definitely help too.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1497687802' post='3320007']

Exactly what I was thinking.

Nicko, are you using Nickel Wound strings or Stainless Strings?

Some people have a reaction to Nickel Wound strings that makes the fingers start to peel. I had a similar reaction when I used Nickel's, but since I switched to Stainless Strings, haven't had a problem Must admit that I did think it was a load of old rowlocks, until I actually tried it out.

Also the amount of time you play will affect your fingers too. Take more breaks.

Stick with it. :)
[/quote]

I'm playing nickel wound, but have been using nickel wound strings on my electric for erm, decades.

I have been looking at finger pressure and action but bot look ok, the only time I really dig in with the fretting hand is when bending a string.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Although the skin on the callouses is shedding its not a real issue, and after 24 hours or so they're as good as new. Maybe I'll just have to put up with it and avoid songs with slides!

Bizarrely enough, my guitar strings are nickel (the wound strings at least), where my bass strings are stainless.

I did notice when I was playing guitar more, that my finger tips were shedding like yours, especially when they were fresh. The nickels sounded great, where stainless didn't sound so good to my ears.

When I came back to bass, I started using nickels as well, but then I noticed that my fretting fingertips had more white/dead/shedding skin. I read something about it on here, and tried out a set of stainless. No more white/dead/shedding skin on my left and right fingers. I think it is more to do with all the strings being wound, and obviously a fair bit thicker than guitar strings.

Definitely worth trying a set of stainless next string change, if only to rule them out.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1497965737' post='3321660']
I'm playing nickel wound, but have been using nickel wound strings on my electric for erm, decades.
[/quote]

So had I. 28 years.

I've developed an allergy in the last couple of years.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a big blister on my plucking/slapping finger yesterday.....rockabilly...and got a practice on Wednesday and don't know whether I should burst the blister. Certainly can't play with it. It was the usual volume war as the gig heated up. I always try to relax and not join in but then you can't hear yourself. I never get blisters or even sore tips during even the longest rehearsals.

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1499105292' post='3329220']
Got a big blister on my plucking/slapping finger yesterday.....rockabilly...and got a practice on Wednesday and don't know whether I should burst the blister. Certainly can't play with it. It was the usual volume war as the gig heated up. I always try to relax and not join in but then you can't hear yourself. I never get blisters or even sore tips during even the longest rehearsals.
[/quote]

I hope you bought superglue...