Why become a member? ×

Power Supplies

cheddatom

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1497516815' post='3318744']
You can run a ton of effects daisy chained without trouble. But then you get effects that are digital clocked DSP units that create a ton of power supply noise, daisy chain to those and you will get high pitched buzzing or whining noise, whether they are in the signal path or not, as they put noise down the power supply.

My first one of these was the Fishman powerchord FX, but then also the Zoom B3. If you have one of those, your options are an isolated power supply or a separate power supply for them.

If you don't have one of those, you won't have that issue, and you don't need to think about an isolated power supply. If you do have one of those, you don't really have an option!
[/quote]

interesting as ive just experienced this for the first time with ym new B3n and a 1 Spot PSU. All i was doing was powering this and my Line 6 reviver, hardly taxing the PSU, but yes, i had a high pitched noise that would only go when i used the B3n PSU as well.

Im glad i found this thread (and your post). Guess ill need to look for a cheap replacement for the 1 Spot now.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1499955429' post='3334805']
interesting as ive just experienced this for the first time with ym new B3n and a 1 Spot PSU. All i was doing was powering this and my Line 6 reviver, hardly taxing the PSU, but yes, i had a high pitched noise that would only go when i used the B3n PSU as well.

Im glad i found this thread (and your post). Guess ill need to look for a cheap replacement for the 1 Spot now.
[/quote]

Hmm, I recently picked up a Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor on here with a view to killing the single-coil hum from my two main basses (yeah, I know, First World Problems... :rolleyes: ). Anyway, while this worked perfectly running off a 9v battery, when I ran it off a variety of cheapo wall-warts, the hum was replaced with a high-pitched whine (no other pedals daisy-chained, BTW). I subsequently acquired a 1 Spot off here (cheers walbassist!), and am now happily running the NS-2 with a Boss TU-2 and Behringer BDI21 daisy-chained in (blissful?) silence.

FWIW, I also run a couple of Trace Elliot pedals (SMX Dual Comp and SM7EQ), but as these require an 18v supply (with a 2.5mm connector) I'm using separate wall-warts for each of them. I've been looking at the Fame / Vitoos DC8 type of thing as these have the requisite number of outputs at different voltages required, but then again the current setup seems to work OK so I'll probably stick to what I've got for now.

[quote name='tony_m' timestamp='1499964712' post='3334885']
FWIW, I also run a couple of Trace Elliot pedals (SMX Dual Comp and SM7EQ), but as these require an 18v supply (with a 2.5mm connector) I'm using separate wall-warts for each of them. I've been looking at the Fame / Vitoos DC8 type of thing as these have the requisite number of outputs at different voltages required, but then again the current setup seems to work OK so I'll probably stick to what I've got for now.
[/quote]

fwiw I run a TE SMX Dual Comp from a Thomann (HB) Powerplant Junior. Two outputs wired in series to give the voltage (DIY cable). It uses two of the five outputs but it's' a working solution without going to other supplies.

A very interesting thread!
I've developed a bit of a problem myself with my Diago micropower. I've been using it for a while,bit all of a sudden I'm getting really bad ground hum from my basses. The problem disappears when I plug straight into the amp. I've got two daisy chains connected and a diago 9-18v voltage doubler on one pedal. My cables are high quality ones made by OBBM so I don't think the problem is there. There are a few of the daisy chain power connectors loose underneath, does anyone know if that could cause these problems? Or is a new power supply the answer.

Thanks everyone for any help :)

[quote name='lee650' timestamp='1500063098' post='3335473']
A very interesting thread!
I've developed a bit of a problem myself with my Diago micropower. I've been using it for a while,bit all of a sudden I'm getting really bad ground hum from my basses. The problem disappears when I plug straight into the amp. I've got two daisy chains connected and a diago 9-18v voltage doubler on one pedal. My cables are high quality ones made by OBBM so I don't think the problem is there. There are a few of the daisy chain power connectors loose underneath, does anyone know if that could cause these problems? Or is a new power supply the answer.

Thanks everyone for any help :)
[/quote]

The only way to debug this is to start from scratch. If you don't get the hum direct into the amp, start with testing one pedal only. Then test all your pedals this way, one pedal at a time. If that works out ok then start building up the chain one pedal at a time. You might only get hum when a certain pedal is sharing power with the others on a daisy chain too.

It will likely either be one pedal or one cable at fault, or an issue with power sharing. I've had this issue before caused by all 3 on different occasions!

Edited by dannybuoy

If you have 2 daisy chains connected Lee, that sounds like you have 8-10 pedals hooked up? I don't think the Diago Micro is up to it! I had the same issue with mine, powering any more than 4-5 pedals introduced some noise. Also if the loose daisy chain ends are contacting anything metal (pedalboard, pedal chassis, etc) that could cause a short or maybe introduce some kind of unwanted artefacts also. Good luck with your issue pal!

My chain just recently developed a bad hum. Nothing new added, just out of the blue. I read about ferrite clip on thingys that you attach to the power cable supposedly reducing noise, so I've ordered one off eBay to see if it helps. I've ordered a new adapter as well. I run 2 daisy chains together running 8 pedals btw and this is on my guitar rig, not the bass. I'll let you know how it pans out.

Edited by Rubbersoul

[quote name='Rubbersoul' timestamp='1500159413' post='3336033']
My chain just recently developed a bad hum. Nothing new added, just out of the blue. I read about ferrite clip on thingys that you attach to the power cable supposedly reducing noise, so I've ordered one off eBay to see if it helps. I've ordered a new adapter as well. I run 2 daisy chains together running 8 pedals btw and this is on my guitar rig, not the bass. I'll let you know how it pans out.
[/quote]

It can often be one faulty patch cable with a bad earth connection. Testing each component one at a time is the only way to go! Also a cable tester is very useful for finding cables with intermittent faults - plug in both ends and give it a wiggle, if either part of the cable drops connection momentarily the LED will stay lit. I use the Behringer one.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1500191657' post='3336078']
Testing each component one at a time is the only way to go!
[/quote]

This. It's laborious as hell but a necessary evil. The feeling of satisfaction afterwards is worth it!

Edit: also, just to be anal/thorough, is your power supply plugged into the same wall point as your amp?

Edited by CameronJ

[quote name='Rubbersoul' timestamp='1500205899' post='3336177']
I tried the power supply into a series of single pedals: the hum, whilst reduced, was present each time.
[/quote]

Then test each of those cables either side of the pedal in isolation too (bass->cable->amp).

Also if you get hum with just a single pedal, see what happens when you power that pedal with a battery instead.

Edited by dannybuoy

I've just taken the diago micro9 off the pedal board and tested it on its own with various single pedals and cables and the earth hum is still there. No noise at all straight into the amp. Looks like it's the culprit! I've had it from new for roughly 4-5 years and it's been fine powering between 8-12 pedals over time (currently 6 pedals) my patch cables are all fairly new OBBM van damme/hicon ones so I didn't think it was those.
The box states up to 6,however it's 1000ma and I've always calculated the ma of my pedals and I've rarely used half so not sure if I've overloaded it!
so any recommendations for an isolated fairly inexpensive replacement that will fit under a Pedaltrain metro 20? Preferably without having to drill. There is a fame one that looks like a copy of the Cioks DC8 but half the price! Anyone tried it?

Cheers :)

Edited by lee650

The Cioks DC5 only just about fits, to be honest it could do with being 1mm smaller to avoid slight rocking on a flat floor. The Fame one is 1mm bigger than the DC5. If you didn't want to drill, then velcro etc would add even more. You could look at replacing the feet on the Pedaltrain but they appear to be riveted on - some kind of rubber cap that fit on with a snug fit would be ideal but good like finding the perfect fit!

Cheers Dan

Does the Cioks DC5 only power 5 pedals? Or can you add a daisy chain to the 300 ma outputs?
The Diago power station is only 29mm deep! I wonder if that will work better :)

Edited by lee650

I power more than that from it with a 2-way splitter on my 18V output and a daisy chain on one of the 9V outputs (HotRox also sell the full range of accessories that plug straight in). I'm also powering an Effectrode PC-2A tube compressor that supposedly needs 400mA (checked with the vendor who said 300mA would not be enough) from the 300mA output without any issues, so they may be able to dish out more than they are rated for!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1500471612' post='3338061']
Should do yes:

Before you splash the cash though, do you have any other 9v adapter in the house at all you can check to make sure it's definitely your power supply at fault?
[/quote]

no not since I sold my soul food!! The Diago was only meant to be temporary!! Five years ago :)

when I use it without the daisy chain on its own,it's massively noisy!! Really bad earth hum!! I though my P bass was knackered at first :)

Edited by lee650