Why become a member? ×

Best way to de-fret?

guitaradam

So, I've got a fretless Jazz in the house, and it's cool - but I prefer 5 strings, so I've picked up a well-loved 5 string, and want to de-fret it, but don't know how.

Somebody suggested just use a flap disc and angle grinder to take the tops off the frets and not worry about filling it in... Not sure I like that plan, so what's the best process to de-fret a bass?

Cheers,

Adam

Go to youtube and look up the many videos that show you how to do it. Get hold of a soldering iron. and a pair of pliers that can get a grip underneath the fret. Then follow the youtube video instructions. The soldering iron will melt the glue holding the fret in reducing the risk of fret tangs pulling bits of wood from the fret board. Alternatively take it to a luthier.

Don't think I'd go the angle-grinder route either. I've done some re-frets, never done a de-fret though, but I don't see a problem. as BassBuss says; you can find enough instructions online.

Don't forget to lower the nut and bridge though.

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1497547232' post='3319061']
I've done a few, after an informal tutoring by someone I found out later is a brill Luther!
Ground down nail pincers and a patient approach is the way to go.
Where are you?
[/quote]

I'm in the West Midlands

[quote name='guitaradam' timestamp='1497465118' post='3318466']
So, I've got a fretless Jazz in the house, and it's cool - but I prefer 5 strings, so I've picked up a well-loved 5 string, and want to de-fret it, but don't know how.

Somebody suggested just use a flap disc and angle grinder to take the tops off the frets and not worry about filling it in... Not sure I like that plan, so what's the best process to de-fret a bass?

Cheers,

Adam
[/quote]

An angle grinder and flap disc! Haha. You would need to use a pretty mean grade to flatten the frets and even with a steady hand it would really make a mess of the fret board. And it would take a lot of work to make it right if even possible. Not worth the attempt.

A pair of specially ground pliers is essential! That's my tip makes it so much easier.

+1 on heating up the frets with a soldering iron. go slowly to avoid/minimise chipping.

chips that do occur may potentially be filled by mixture of appropriately coloured wood-dust mixed with glue/epoxy...

Final step: post results! :)

Edited by roman_sub

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1497638711' post='3319761']
An angle grinder and flap disc! Haha. You would need to use a pretty mean grade to flatten the frets and even with a steady hand it would really make a mess of the fret board. And it would take a lot of work to make it right if even possible. Not worth the attempt.

A pair of specially ground pliers is essential! That's my tip makes it so much easier.
[/quote]
Angle grinder might give you the Billy Sheehan scalloped fretboard effect however..... I ground some pliers like these or buy them ready made?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/182264972837?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=aud-133395220626%3Apla-142405615746&abcId=&adtype=pla&merchantid=6995734&poi=&googleloc=1006578&device=c&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0

Edited by yorks5stringer

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='rmorris' timestamp='1502268027' post='3350282']
+1 - just 'cos I always want to say this when a defret is suggested :-)
[/quote]
+2 - every time I see a de-fretted bass for sale, I think "That'll cost extra to put the frets back on!".

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1502991988' post='3354946']
+2 - every time I see a de-fretted bass for sale, I think "That'll cost extra to put the frets back on!".
[/quote]

hahaha Just did the very same to a Warwick Streamer...Put em back on! It was de fretted by a LGS luthier (Apparently... although in this case this would be a very lose term!) Wenge is so brittle the guy had butchered the neck so badly I actually had to plane it back before re fretting. Also be careful what you use to fill the fret slots..I always use veneer rather than filler....If you are going to hi gloss lacquer the neck you can get away with certain 2 part fillers but I wouldn't advise it...certainly don't use Polyfiller as the "Luthier" had done...the only saving grace was the filler was so easy to get out...

If it is a maple neck there is more chance of it splintering when removing frets than a rosewood board...I echo the ground down nail pincers and soldering iron route, although potentially the easiest route is a neck swap for sure but don't be put off...Youtube and Basschat are your friends...it is not difficult it just requires a bit of patience...

I don't let other Luthiers near my basses preferring to do them myself...but then I am a bit of a perfectionist as I have been a cabinet maker for years and have done a lot of guitar mods over the years ...

Good luck and enjoy the process...I find it quite therapeutic!

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Quatschmacher' timestamp='1502239965' post='3350208']
Take it to Jon Shuker. He did my American Standard Jazz fretless conversion recently and it was a lovely job and cost me only £80.
[/quote]

Beautiful result.

I did the same to a Precision with a local luthier, similar cost, and of 4 fretless basses I ended up keeping this one. I removed the frets myself, slowly and carefully, using a fret remover tool (ground sharp pincers) I got on eBay for a fiver or so, just because I could. Then I thought I'd rather get it finished nicely so I got the luthier to fill the slots with a wood veneer and plane the board nicely.

[quote name='Quatschmacher' timestamp='1502239965' post='3350208']
Take it to Jon Shuker. He did my American Standard Jazz fretless conversion recently and it was a lovely job and cost me only £80.
[/quote]
Nice job. It's the first I've ever seen done well. £80 is a fair price too.