Why become a member? ×

Best freebie you've had?

SamPlaysBass

Not a great one by any means, but I did get a free T Shirt from EBS when the UK tech support firm they use didn't sort out a pedal I sent them for a recall.

Ashdown deserve a mention for me too - repaired an amp for me without charge (I only paid to get it there).

Musically I've had a couple of lucky blags. I won a Blackstar practice amp in a promo event at my local music shop in Leicester last year which was cool.

Even more impressively I won a place on a two-week summer school course at Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts back in 1998. It was an amazing experience - doubly so because I hadn't long finished university and would never have been able to afford to go.

I also got sent on a freebie holiday to Majorca back in 2002 when I was a trainee reporter on my local paper. Apparently I was reviewing the place but that amounted to about an hours work when I got home to Britain! Again me and the missus were poorly paid young journos at the time so jumped at the chance of a free holiday.

I also got to review Download 2010 as a journo too, which was a class weekend out, all in the name of work of course.

Makes up for all the times things haven't worked out for me I guess ha ha!

I bought a U.S. Masters fretless neck for one of my Masters basses. It was the only source for those basses, as they have a simple, but unique attachment method. When it came, it was lovely, but the side dots were in the wrong place, between, not on the fret position.
I pointed this out and they were very apologetic, and sent me a correctly made one (eventually, took ages!) But didn't require me to send the other back, which was nice. The bad neck now wears Luminlay side inlays in the correct position....

A few years ago on this very forum I posted a wanted ad for a Trace GP12SMX head.

A very kind fellow member offered me his broken one for free, save for a £50 donation to BC. I promptly headed off down the motorway, collected the head and then dropped it off at my local repairers.

Best part of £70 later and it was all back up and running and sounding fabulous. I now have 2 of them but this one that was brought back from the dead has been my main gigging amp ever since (easily identified by the scar on the faceplate above the High Compression knob).

Edited by Deedee

My uncle gave me an Acoustic amp head with a Crate cab, Squire P and a Perspex strat when he moved to America. That was nice!
Also won a valve mic in Sound on Sound. That was ace, but as I didn't have the fine acoustic space to take full advantage of its awesomeness, I sold it. Stupid me!

Edited by Pea Turgh

Got a free Behringer BDI21 from a very kind BCer to fix up and give to one of my students. Alright, [i]I[/i] didn't get a freebie, but you know what I mean; there are some very lovely people on Basschat.

Edited by paul_5