Why become a member? ×

Turning a P neck into a J neck?

richardjmorgan

Ok, bear with me, but, theoretically, would it be possible for someone who knew what they were doing to carve a neck with a P-bass nut width to J-bass dimensions? Obv a new nut would then be required, but unless I'm overlooking something, it'd be do-able right?

Only thing I can think of that might cause problems is the positioning of the truss rod, but maybe someone wiser than me can confirm whether this is the same regardless of the shape of the neck.

Suspect the answer might be "it'd be cheaper and less hassle to just buy a Jazz neck and bolt it onto a P body", but I'm kind of thinking out loud here.

If we're just talking about a normal P-bass with a normal heel, then certainly a neck swap would be cheaper and more convenient. If the neck doesn't have the usual Fender dimensions and can't easily be replaced (or is a set or thru-neck) then a re-carve would be an option, but I'd really only do it on a bass that is otherwise perfect, and one that I'd want to stick with for a long time. I know Kev Hopper had his Wal trimmed to a neater profile. That's a pretty good example of when it could be a nice idea.

I had one done for a Shergold Marathon bass. Stock neck was 44mm at the nut and I managed to find a NOS Marathon neck which I persuaded Andyjr1515 to turn his not inconsiderable talents to. That meant I still had a Shergold neck but a slim one. Worked a treat.

But for a Fender I don't see the point.

I bought a P bass neck for my old MP Jazz brand new off eBay for about £50-60. It was a very nice & smooth, well made neck. Shame I made an arse of fitting it. :D No matter what I tried, I couldn't rectify my mistakes.

Definitely far easier to buy a new neck.

Edited by Skybone