Why become a member? ×

Encore 90's P Bass

captainfele

A friend of mine bought one in 1995, as we were putting a band together and he fancied having a go. He gave it up, but as far as I know he still has the bass somewhere. It was red with a while scratchplate. For a beginner bass it was ok, as I recall, but today's equivalents from the likes of J&D and Harley Benton are far superior.

[quote name='captainfele' timestamp='1497538135' post='3318965']
Hi everyone, a friend of mine used to have a white Encore P Bass in the 90's. I think it was slightly short scale or a student model. Pretty sure it was made in India too. Has anyone got an idea of the model number, or better still have one?

Cheers.
[/quote]
ive got a black one, and uprgaed the pickups recently with seymour duncan sp3. its for sale in classified at £120 (ono)

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/307025-p-bass-customised/

I've got a red Encore too, one of the Indian ones. Model E83, they topped the Making Music sales charts back in the 1990s. They're pretty much the same bass that was sold as a Squier II in America and a Sunn Mustang. I've got a Classic Vibe (Tonerider) pickup in it but the original white one was quite good too. The body is some heavy hardwood (ash?) and the headstock is the proper Fender shape. Decent bridge and tuners. I really like it.

I've just read another thread on here about bad E-strings, I had that with some Legacy (Rotosound?) ones when I first got this bass. Swapped them for some cheap JHS Encores and it sounds marvellous.

I had a Harley Benton ash Jazz and they're good but the body was heavy AND thin so it dug into my thigh!

I'm not sure if Rollin Thunder's one is an Indian one - the scratchplate screws look different in number and position? 9 screws in mine.

[quote name='rockmanrock' timestamp='1497709782' post='3320193']
I've got a red Encore too, one of the Indian ones. Model E83, they topped the Making Music sales charts back in the 1990s. They're pretty much the same bass that was sold as a Squier II in America and a Sunn Mustang. I've got a Classic Vibe (Tonerider) pickup in it but the original white one was quite good too. The body is some heavy hardwood (ash?) and the headstock is the proper Fender shape. Decent bridge and tuners. I really like it.

I've just read another thread on here about bad E-strings, I had that with some Legacy (Rotosound?) ones when I first got this bass. Swapped them for some cheap JHS Encores and it sounds marvellous.

I had a Harley Benton ash Jazz and they're good but the body was heavy AND thin so it dug into my thigh!

I'm not sure if Rollin Thunder's one is an Indian one - the scratchplate screws look different in number and position? 9 screws in mine.
[/quote]

hey man, thanks so much for your reply, is the E83 a bit smaller than a regular precision? I have spent years playing a short scale bass, and want something with the P Bass sound but with maybe 32 inch scale.

[quote name='captainfele' timestamp='1497710852' post='3320199']
hey man, thanks so much for your reply, is the E83 a bit smaller than a regular precision? I have spent years playing a short scale bass, and want something with the P Bass sound but with maybe 32 inch scale.
[/quote]

It's a full size 34" scale P-bass. Harley Benton do a 30" short scale that people seem to like. [url]https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbp90bk_shortscale_ebass.htm?ref=search_rslt_short+scale+bass_172084_14[/url]