Why become a member? ×

Current Musicman Stingray build quality

Quatschmacher

Hi guys,

just wondering if any of you owns a current-production (USA) Stingray and could comment on the build quality. I'm considering ordering a Stingray with a SLO Special neck but it's a huge amount to shell out if it turns out to be rubbish. I have a 90s Sterling, which is absolutely wonderful, but the last Stingray I played (from about 2010) left me disappointed.

I've had a bunch of basses from most of the popular companies over the last few years and the only ones that i would happily buy completely unseen or unplayed would be a USA Musicman (i've had 4) or a Spector (I've had 3) as they seem to be very consistent in build quality/feel and you rarely hear of people having unresolved issues with them.

Having said that, I have a 97 2 Stingray band that feels much nicer to me than the 2001 3 band that i recently moved on - the neck feels a bit chunkier but is very played in and it feels instantly more 'right' to me. I also prefer the 2 band sound - its quite significantly different from the 3 band.

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1497549651' post='3319077']

Yes. Mine is spot on. Thoroughly recommended. It also has an SLO neck.

Picture here....

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/302682-stingray-purchasing-advice-required/
[/quote]

Looks lovely.

I always wanted a Stingray but when I bought one I couldn't get on with the neck, which is why I ended up with the Sterling. Swore I'd buy a SLO Special as soon as I could afford one.

Edited by Quatschmacher

I think with anything, helps to actually play the thing before you buy.
I played some Stingray 5's in my recent quest for a 5 (bought a Lakland if you must know), played one from like 2002 and it was great, played one from 2016 and it left me very underwhelmed. That was partly the setup, but still, sounded boring.
That's not to say the build quality wasn't great, but yeah, try before you buy if you're not sure I think.

Si

Had a few SRs and Sterlings in my time. Can't say any of them were poor build quality but some definitely didn't have that quality that can't be defined that makes it a keeper. With current pricing levels I don't think I'd part with the cash without being able to play it first.

I have ordered a number of MM basses sight unseen (as indeed most instruments would be regardless of manufacturer if you want specific colours and options) - they have always matched my needs perfectly - indeed I still have them. I would have no worry about doing it again - I would be as confident of getting what I wanted as any other manufacturer, indeed probably more so than many others.

It seems Andertons either do or will soon be stocking lots of you want to try them, anyway.

I think we just have to accept that all high quality American made instruments are now significantly more expensive than they were a couple of years or even more recently than that.

Edited by drTStingray

My Stingray is two years old and the build quality is 99% perfect. The only tiny niggle I had is that the metal control plate had a very small area of it's edge that was rough and poorly finished. Quickly remedied with a metal nail file though.

[quote name='Quatschmacher' timestamp='1497636379' post='3319731']
Unfortunately, because of my need for a SLO Special neck, I'm unlikely to find one in UK stock so buying sight unseen is my only option.
[/quote]

I guess so - however you could try a US Sterling as the neck dimensions are very similar - has one more fret and a sculpted heel/5 bolt neck plate compared with the SLO Special's standard Stingray pattern.*

* doh!! I just re-read your original thread and you already have a Sterling!

Edited by drTStingray

I currently own a 2015 EB Stingray 4 left hand and was lucky enough to find it new in the shop and try first before buying. The build quality on mine is flawless, fit and finish exemplary. And it sounds great to boot. I only owned one other lefty USA stingray from the early 1980's and even back then I was impressed by how well that one was put together. I wouldn't have any hesitation ordering an EB MM bass from scratch, in my experience, they really do know how to put a bass together.

I have never played a Musicman bass that wasn't a well built, well designed instrument that could be used a variety of different styles. I have also never played a Musicman bass that I would actually buy.

You definitely don't get a dud. At worst you will get a good bass that just isn't right for you.

I have just been lucky enough to get my hands on a PDN Stingray Starry night bass made last year (obviously). The fit and finish, playability and sound is top notch. I own 2 Gibson Les Paul Customs too that were made in the last 5 years and they are not even nearly as perfect as this. Gibson need a tour round the musicman factory to see how it should be done!

• 1 month later...

I took delivery of a new SR5, American made, about 6 weeks ago. I can't fault it, the build quality is top class. And EB are well known for their necks - a reputation that is justified, based on the ones I've played. Couldn't be happier with mine. I went for the maple fretboard - which is sliced off the same block as the neck then perfectly matched up again after the truss rod is inserted. You have to look very hard to find the join...

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1497654968' post='3319905']
Probably the only big USA manufacturer of basses and guitars that I trust to get virtually everything if not everything perfect.
[/quote]

Didn't you have a horror story a few years back with a MM Classic order?

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' timestamp='1502718667' post='3353061']
Why are stingrays so expensive :( I've got major GAS for a Classic 5 in Natural (Black PG) and maple FB
[/quote]
Try a Sterling By Musicman ray34 or 35. Absolutely the next best thing, fabricated in Indonesia but finished and set up in the MM factory in San Luis Obispo like the regular MMs.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1497549651' post='3319077']

Yes. Mine is spot on. Thoroughly recommended. It also has an SLO neck.

Picture here....

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/302682-stingray-purchasing-advice-required/
[/quote]

Oh my lord... that thing is stunning!!!

[quote name='Quatschmacher' timestamp='1497560281' post='3319174']

Looks lovely.

I always wanted a Stingray but when I bought one I couldn't get on with the neck, which is why I ended up with the Sterling. Swore I'd buy a SLO Special as soon as I could afford one.
[/quote]

Me too, that's why I play stingray 5's, the flatter neck profile is far more comfortable. I did love the sterling I had too, though the tone wasn't exactly what I wanted which prompted the shift.

I love stingrays & have owned three,a 2 band,a 3 band & recently a classic.
All where lovely to play & beautifully made but each one had a very week G string that sounded fine solo but got lost in a live mix.
Tried the pick-up pole piece mod & even changed to a Nordstrand pick-up,all to no avail.
Maybe it's just me,but I never have this problem with anything else.