Why become a member? ×

MIDI Drum Mindbender

JapanAxe

I use Reaper, and frequently use MT-PowerDrumKit plugin to play back MIDI drum files. If I want a different kit sound, I can always output the MIDI to my Alesis SR18; and if I want to play drums into a MIDI track from the SR18, it all works fine i.e. snares come out as snares, rides come out as rides etc.

However, when I record MID drum notes from my Korg X50 keyboard and then play them back through the plugin or the SR18, they are an octave too high, and play back the wrong sounds. If I transpose all the recorded MIDI notes down an octave, all is well again.

The General MIDI drum map assigns note 36 (C1) to Bass Drum, 38 (D1) to Snare, and so on. The SR18 tells me (System Setup, page 4) that when it is playing these sounds, those are the notes it is outputting. However, when I have recorded them into Reaper, they are showing as C2 and D2, despite playing back perfectly well!

I have done a factory reset on the X50, and all the kits show Osc 1 Octave +0 Transpos +00 (i.e. un-transposed).

What is going on? Will it help to load the Drum Maps for the SR18 and the X50 into the MIDI editor - if so I need to remember how to do this!

Edited by JapanAxe

I think I've found a partial answer in the Reaper forums: [b]'[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Unfortunately there are a couple of competing naming conventions for MIDI notes (most think middle C (MIDI #60) is C3 but some call it C4). It's a pain.'[/font][/color][/b]

I can either transpose the recorded notes an octave, or offset the note names in the drum map, or transpose them at source in the X50's settings - whichever turns out to cause me the least hassle when it comes to playback!

Edited by JapanAxe

Yep, us Cubase/Steinberg/Yamaha users have the same problem.

Middle C.
"According to Roland it is C4, according to Yamaha it is C3, according to International Scientific Pitch it is C4."

It all goes back a few years when Roland and Yamaha were competing for Midi supremacy.
:)

I think you can tell the midi device where your middle C will be, this is in the Midi device setup in any DAW.

I've had the same issues.

BTW is you want to change drum kits, you can record using Power Drumkit (I do the same) and then you can change the drumkit plugin. Sometimes I use "Big Mono" through Kontact (it runs for 30 mins on the free player) and Drumic'a works very well too.

Edited by Mcgiver69

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1497554956' post='3319122']
I can either transpose the recorded notes an octave, or offset the note names in the drum map, or transpose them at source in the X50's settings - whichever turns out to cause me the least hassle when it comes to playback!
[/quote]

How about a midi transpose plug-in ?

[quote name='Mcgiver69' timestamp='1497623404' post='3319601']
I think you can tell the midi device where your middle C will be, this is in the Midi device setup in any DAW.

[/quote]

Yes, that is the easy part.
The problems arise with the different vendor sample library companies. They have not settled on a C3/C4 for middle C either.
If you have several midi tracks open in the PRV. Notes and key switching notes are all over lapping.

If you import the MIDI track into a separate, spare, track in the DAW, then test to see where the bass drum lies, it's pretty easy to transpose the whole lot down or up an octave, as required. Then copy/paste the result into the 'real' track your using. I use a very varied selection of MIDI stuff, as well as several virtual drum Vst's, so that's how I match 'em up.
It is also true that GM is exactly what it says, ie: 'general'. There are as many exceptions as adherents to the norm. Superior Drummer, for instance, has almost a drum map for each kit, often with no real equivalents in other kits. It's part and parcel of the 'fun' of virtual instruments. After a while, one tends to go with the set-up that gives the best results for most things, and only get into wild experimentation when there is time to [s]waste[/s] spare. One can spend hours trying out various combinations of MIDI source and Vst kit, only to go back to the 'tried and tested' in the end. Just sayin'.