Why become a member? ×

Ask Questions Before You Join A Band

blue

Hi Guys,

I am posting a good example on why it's usually important to ask a "boat load" of questions before you commit and join a band.

Here is the ad;

"High level cover band looking for a full time bass player/ vocalist for gigging band. The band features two talented female lead vocalist and does a wide range of tunes from rock to country. Must be at least 21 to apply, otherwise age is not a factor. This inquiry is for serious players only please."

Here is the response and answer to my questions and how I found they're not a match for me and the ad was only part of their story;

"Blue,

This band is going to be getting busier as the summer months close out.

As of right now I'm finishing out playing drums for another cover band through October before I leave for tour.

Southbound will be my only band starting in January of 2018 and has also been asked to sign an exclusive contract with ACA entertainment.

There will be about 7-10 more dates before I leave for tour which, then looking to have the band booked for around 40 dates through 2018, making it a full time band.

Because I have a gig with a national touring group, I've been able to guarantee fairly high rates from the band from the get go. Pay right now is anywhere from 70-150 per show with the realistic goal of having my band members make a MINIMUM of 150 per show in 2018."

The BL was completely honest in his letter to me, so cool.

Interesting, I couldn't find any gigs on their schedule or live YouTube clips.

Also, I would have absolutely nothing to do with the agency he referenced.

My point, again ask questions and do a little research before joining a new band.

Any thoughts?

Blue

Edited by blue

you left out the bit about actually rehearsing with them before committing :), and more than once. I was asked to join a punk band in 1982 ish for a party. Went to the first jam, they played me the set of songs they'd written. I thought it might be fun, it was just a party.
But at the next rehearsal.....it turned out I was the only one that rememberred how the songs went. I bailed hehe

I think it`s a great post, Blue. Really highlights that in order to find the right band that the audition is not one-way, and also not just about the playing, it`s the chance to find out if what you`re applying for is what will suit.

A good illustration of making sure that you ask the right questions for your individual situation. I agree that the original ad doesn't quite match up to the details you then got from them and the steady income stream that you're after, but there may well be plenty of bass players who would be happy to join the band.

I guess there's a fundamental difference between your desired position as a hired hand (emphasis on "hired") and what a lot of us are after in just being a band member doing it for fun.

If its not for you then its end of story, we all know you play for a living so its different to a lot of bassists on here. For me the only way to get the perfect band is to start your own and make all the decisions, all the time. I would hate that. Being in any band is, for me, about everyone making compromises. We all have slightly different ideas about music, and gigs per month, even If we love the same genre so being able to compromise a little makes for the perfect band. That, and everyone bringing a little of themselves to the party, thats what makes the magic.

A pro touring band with hired hands will be a completely different thing and a different set of requirements.

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1497612669' post='3319473']
I agree that the original ad doesn't quite match up to the details you then got from them and the steady income stream that you're after, but there may well be plenty of bass players who would be happy to join the band.[/quote]

I can understand why a lot of the details were left out of the ad. This might be the case with many ads.

Steve ,I agree with you however, for those that don't ask questions and are happy to just join a band and are not looking for money are still the very ones that most likely to be disappointed.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1497613590' post='3319484']
If its not for you then its end of story, we all know you play for a living so its different to a lot of bassists on here. For me the only way to get the perfect band is to start your own and make all the decisions, all the time. I would hate that. Being in any band is, for me, about everyone making compromises. We all have slightly different ideas about music, and gigs per month, even If we love the same genre so being able to compromise a little makes for the perfect band. That, and everyone bringing a little of themselves to the party, thats what makes the magic.

A pro touring band with hired hands will be a completely different thing and a different set of requirements.
[/quote]

Am I the only one on BC that plays for a living?

I don't think there is such a thing as "a perfect band" under any circumstances.

Blue

Always ask questions.

While it might be the case, no one is going to state in their ad;

"If your looking for gigs were not for you, I merely want to play the part of "rock star" in my basement.'

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1497632208' post='3319698']

I don't think there is such a thing as "a perfect band" under any circumstances.

Blue
[/quote]
There are at least a few others I know of and I bet a load more as well, but I think the majority are hobbyists to whom it's either a pure hobby or brings in money to cover the GAS.

If you see an ad for a band looking for a bass player and you were impressed with their website and YouTube clips, you still might want to ask specifics and clarify they have what your looking for and if the band on the website and YouTube clips is the same and current line up.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1497633082' post='3319706']

There are at least a few others I know of and I bet a load more as well, but I think the majority are hobbyists to whom it's either a pure hobby or brings in money to cover the GAS.
[/quote]

Agreed Tbay,

But even the hobbyist should ask questions.

Probably different questions from those of us doing this for a living but questions none the less.

Blue

Edited by blue

I always want to know the following:

What's in your set?
Who's responsible for what?
What is your marketing strategy?
What's in the diary already?
What is the availability of other members like?
How often do you rehearse?
How often do you gig / want to gig?
How much per gig?
What type of venue do you play?

Any band that rehearses more often than it gigs is a no go. Bands that do social clubs week in week out are binned. The other points are all considered in context with the overall feeling and picture. I've done full time gigging for a living but am now self employed as gigging doesn't give enough mental stimulation for it to be my only work.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1497632208' post='3319698']

Blue
[/quote]

I said most on here are not pro musicians, not all.

As I said, there is no such thing as the perfect band, well......the one I am in at the moment is, for me. They are good musicians who are sympathetic to the music.No ego's. We all love the songs we do and we all get along as friends outside the band, so its a win win.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1497640820' post='3319777']
I always want to know the following:

What's in your set?
Who's responsible for what?
What is your marketing strategy?
What's in the diary already?
What is the availability of other members like?
How often do you rehearse?
How often do you gig / want to gig?
How much per gig?
What type of venue do you play?[/quote]

Great questions!

Blue

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1497641983' post='3319785']

I said most on here are not pro musicians, not all.

As I said, there is no such thing as the perfect band, well......the one I am in at the moment is, for me. They are good musicians who are sympathetic to the music.No ego's. We all love the songs we do and we all get along as friends outside the band, so its a win win.
[/quote]

Every band is different.

My band, all good people, trustworthy, fun and honest. We also have good consistent bookings. But we're far from perfect.

We rarely rehearse (not my choice) and the only time we see each other or talk is at gigs.which I believe is why we have no drama or ego issues.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1497646093' post='3319832']
I would be happy with once a month gig.
[/quote]

1 gig a month.For me that would mean time to find a more lucrative band with a big book of business.

One gig a month is great for some.

Blue

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1497647019' post='3319839']
I wonder what the ratio of rehearsal to gigs looks like for the Stones..? Hmm... :mellow:
[/quote]

I think those guys have a series of rehearsals specific to each tour.

I'd venture to say it cost about a million dollars to produce 1 Stones show.

Blue

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1497646093' post='3319832']
I would be happy with once a month gig.
[/quote]

Now that I think about it, I know a few outstanding musicians that can't find any kind of gigging situation. Mainly due to location. They'd be happy with one gig a month.

Blue

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1497723119' post='3320277']
I'm not in s band but if I was I'd be happy to gig once week as I have other commitments I enjoy doing.
[/quote]

My life evolves around gigging. I have no other commitments or interests.

I like productive rehearsals and when I'm not gigging I enjoy going to see other bands.

But no, no other interests my kids are grown adults so that initial level of parenting is over for me. I go to them for advice now.

Blu

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1497657664' post='3319920']
Now that I think about it, I know a few outstanding musicians that can't find any kind of gigging situation. Mainly due to location. They'd be happy with one gig a month.

Blue
[/quote]

playing originals in a small city with dwindling pub patronage and fewer pubs with live music is a hard grind. In reality, a gig a month would be the most you could do. In these cities, you need to play in a couple of cover bands as well if you want to gig regularly.
It is what it is. Similar to the old "drive for show, putt for dough" adage, it's "play originals for pride to family and friends, play covers to put food on the table for aforementioned family". Doesn't quite roll off the tongue though lol