Why become a member? ×

First gig with Trickfish Bullhead .5K stack

attackbass

Just got home from my first gig with the Trickfish .5k Bullhead and 210v cab.

The setup sounded killer in the house at low volume so was nervous about it performing well in a real life gig situation.

I was not disappointed! The depth and punch of these amps is incredible, did not miss my Eden at all - Infact it was much punchier and fuller sounding than the Eden. There is lot of power on tap even at 8ohms... I was just over half on master volume with a 7 piece funk band. The EQ is sweet, very useable and musical and the different frequency options for each band very useful - Infact just flicking a few switches leaving the controls where they were altered the tone and enabled me to switch up the tones for certain songs. The tone, our guitarist described as incredibly warm and it just fitted into the mix and filled out the overall sound without being overbearing. Playing licks in the higher register came through full and defined. The tone is very warm and would describe as thick whilst very clear and detailed/modern...not woolly sounding at all... Closest thing I could compare it to is playing through a neve desk - it's not overdriven but there's some harmonics or something going on that just makes it sound very fat.

Biggest surprise was the DI out... When we plugged it into the desk we couldn't believe how much low end there was... I thought that I had post EQ dmselected so pushed the switch in and got earth shattering low end. I've never experienced that from the Eden head di, sansamp or le bass and I found myself using less octave pedal than usual!!

Obviously I'm very happy with the amp, it's the tone I've been looking for, for a while now and I'm really impressed that such a no frills amp could be so powerful. There's something to be said for s simple piece of gear that just sounds great... In the same way the vanderklay gear is designed I guess!

It is an amazing and very loud rig!

It replaces the Eden WTP 600 and D410XLT... Although a very nice set up this new Trickfish has blown it away!

I have used just my trusty, battered Fender Jazz 75 Reissue with quarter pounders and badass bridge. I have Warwicks, musicman snd FGN basses I could run through it but I tend to use my jazz for everything so haven't had the chance yet!

[quote name='attackbass' timestamp='1497805871' post='3320643']
Www.trickfishamps.com

They're not available in the UK yet but you can order them through Paul Sips at Paul Bass Matters in Nijmegan, who will be able to give you good advice and comparisons to other similar price range amps.
[/quote]

Thank you