Why become a member? ×

Getting excited - new singer auditions next weekend.

Painy

Our current singer (who has been with us now for the last 7 years) has recently been accepted into the police force which will clash too much with our gigging schedule for him to carry on.
As much as I'm sad to see him go as he's an amazing singer and one of my closest friends, I'm starting to feel more positive now.
When we were last looking for singers at the time that he joined we couldn't seem to find anyone decent for love nor money until he turned up so when he said he would be leaving we were pretty down-hearted.
This time round though we've actually been contacted by several really promising guys which we've whittled down to 4 and I'm now actually looking forward to the auditions next Sunday! :)

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1497717936' post='3320247']
You are looking forward to auditioning vocalists? Really? :o
[/quote]

I suppose it beats sawing your leg off with a rusty saw. Oh, hang on....................

Really good vocalists are always hard to come by.
I always think almost anyone can learn to play an instrument to at least a reasonable level of proficiency with the help of a decent teacher and enough practice but a good singing voice is something you have to be born with. Sure you can learn to use your voice to it's best advantage but I think that the actual tone is largely physiological.

We've been really lucky this time to get interest from several guys with really good voices which is why I'm quite enthused to do these auditions.
I suspect in the end though it'll come down to the guy who is the least insufferable an egomaniac. :D

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1497736655' post='3320345']
Really good vocalists are always hard to come by.[/quote]

Agreed,

Many times I'll see a good band, you know very good musically, above average players that can groove. But there's something missing.

It's older guys with marginal to no stage presence or vocal ability.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1497736655' post='3320345']
Really good vocalists are always hard to come by.
[/quote]

+1. The best singer I know and work with is 70, has almost 3 octaves range and an enormous repertoire and is a real trouper. Always does the business. It can be quite amusing to see peoples' reaction when this balding, grey haired guy lets rip. They can't believe the voice that comes out of him. He's been talking about retiring in the not to distant and I'm hoping he doesn't decide to hang up his mic.