Why become a member? ×

Just been involved in a murder....

solo4652

It’s our town Carnival today and my garden overlooks the main arena. There’s an open-mic/karaoke “performance space” and there has been a steady stream of people absolutely murdering all sorts of songs. I sat wincing in my garden and then thought – if you can’t beat them, join them. So I took my cajon across to the park and busked along to whatever song was being played for a couple of hours. Good fun, but I now have slightly sore hands. Probably better off sticking to bass.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1497711079' post='3320201']
Open mic things are always a good laugh. All the ones around here are a mix of the genuinely talented and the utterly utterly hopeless but self obsessed.
[/quote]

That describes my last band perfectly.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1497709749' post='3320192']
They say "[i]confession is good for the soul[/i]" - we forgive you, my son....
[/quote]

Not so fast. I'm gigging in Stockport tonight so I'll report back if anyone's still traumatised :lol:

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1497708925' post='3320180']
It’s our town Carnival today and my garden overlooks the main arena. There’s an open-mic/karaoke “performance space” and there has been a steady stream of people absolutely murdering all sorts of songs. I sat wincing in my garden and then thought – if you can’t beat them, join them. So I took my cajon across to the park and busked along to whatever song was being played for a couple of hours. Good fun, but I now have slightly sore hands. Probably better off sticking to bass.
[/quote]

yeah cajons are bad for old backs too hehe

You need a huge bass rig pointed at the karaoke stage and play bass riffs from home

Yep - cajons are best suited to gorillas, or people with short backs and long arms. I don't sit on mine - I've knocked up a stand that means I can sit on a chair and put the cajon on the floor tilted towards me. Even better is to place the stand on the chair so I can play standing up - that's much easier on my back. The other thing to be wary of is hitting the thing too hard, because you'll quickly get sore hands. Whenever possible, I mic mine using a bass drum mic through my practice combo. Couldn't do that in the park yesterday, so ended up with sore fingers.

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1497715607' post='3320230']
Not so fast. I'm gigging in Stockport tonight so I'll report back if anyone's still traumatised :lol:
[/quote]
[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1497720455' post='3320258']
Your 1,000th post!!
[/quote]

Obviously the post count doesn't include kebab status updates!!

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1497789684' post='3320560']
[b][size=6]?[/size][/b]
[/quote]

'Fraid so. You must have experienced someone attempting to bang along with the music on one of those bloody wooden boxes. Or were you that person? :P

The cajon is the modern equivalent of the bongos that the hipsters of the day used to bang. And before that there was the bloody tambourine. Should all have been consigned to the waste bin. The people who abused them couldn't hit them in any semblance of time. They made the drummer sound like a musical genius, and that takes a lot to achieve.

I feel better now.

a cajon played well is ace. It just so happens that most people play them badly. You so often see drummers sat on the cajon kicking the ground where their kick pedal should be, and playing constant right hand rhythms with the snare sound etc

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1497872896' post='3320961']
So, would we regard this as good or naff cajon playing?

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwUTIjyXWHE"]https://www.youtube....h?v=hwUTIjyXWHE[/url]
[/quote]

pretty damn good! But he has a bunch of the other accessories too

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1497873627' post='3320968']
This is pretty accomplished, I reckon;

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YnYgbb0U1g"]https://www.youtube....h?v=2YnYgbb0U1g[/url]
[/quote]

hmmm, yeh, ace techniques but he keeps dropping the groove trying to keep up with himself!

still, I would love a cajon and a room that sound so good! My cajon is a build your own kit thing, and it really does sound crap (although it's fine for recording as I can use EQ and compression etc)

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1497863546' post='3320882']
The cajon is the modern equivalent of the bongos that the hipsters of the day used to bang. And before that there was the bloody tambourine. Should all have been consigned to the waste bin. The people who abused them couldn't hit them in any semblance of time. They made the drummer sound like a musical genius, and that takes a lot to achieve.

I feel better now.
[/quote]

You've been reading my mail. I play Irish traditional music (my original instrument was/is the fiddle). People who can't be arsed to put the time in and learn a proper instrument turn up to music sessions with bloody bodhrans (a handheld, single skinned drum that's played with a carved wooden beater). They bash away far too loudly and murder the rhythms and subtleties of the music and drown out more delicate instruments. Of course, there are a few who play a bodhran musically, but they're in a small minority. Hanging's too good for most of 'em.

I feel better now, too.

The authors of well known songs must crumple up like the dandelion on the spray weed killer advert on TV whenever I try to play one of his songs on guitar. That might sound bad enough but I once played a button accordion...."