Why become a member? ×

Flatwound or Roundwound? I can't decide

Guest MoJo

I play in a pub covers band and can't make up my mind whether I prefer flat or roundwound strings on my P-bass. I've been swapping back and forth between gigs and am still non the wiser. I'm thinking that rounds are a better all rounder (excuse the pun) for the variety of material that we cover, but I love the feel and the warmth of the flats.
Has anyone else suffered this dilemma and what did you do?

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1497722099' post='3320273']

Are the cobalts brighter than Fender flats?
[/quote]

Yes, and they are also a very different string in their own right. The treble strings can be quite zingy like rounds, but the bass strings still have a smoother thing going on.

I'm a big fan of the Fender flats too.

I went totally over to flats ( apart from some groundwounds I got free) on my Basses and thought I would be playing them for life. Then I got a Squire Jag with Roundwounds recently that did not give me grey fingers (!) and I have grown over the last few weeks to really like them. They give more nuance to the low B ( which may be due to the active circuit too). Anyway, I have not swapped them over but will leave them on. These Fender Rounds seem easy on the fingers, some I have had in the past were quite abrasive too...

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1497732809' post='3320332']
I went totally over to flats ( apart from some groundwounds I got free) on my Basses and thought I would be playing them for life. Then I got a Squire Jag with Roundwounds recently that did not give me grey fingers (!) and I have grown over the last few weeks to really like them. They give more nuance to the low B ( which may be due to the active circuit too). Anyway, I have not swapped them over but will leave them on. These Fender Rounds seem easy on the fingers, some I have had in the past were quite abrasive too...
[/quote]

The flats on my P-bass are Fenders

Whilst being silly at a rehearsal doing a two hands on neck tapping thing I got the worst blister ever from some flatwounds, so much so I had to use a pick at a gig that week. (Due to a historical hand injury I can barely hold a pick so that was interesting)

Anyhow, I digress.

I love the sound of flats these days, but I really dislike the tension, primarily because I find them impossible to bend a full tone. I tend to bend the strings a lot, god knows why, too much Sabbath as a kid I guess.

I'm interested in Colbalts, as I'd like a bit of top end on the thin strings but lots of fundemental note on the thick strings.

Fender flats play really well for me, they're not too stiff. La Bellas were an utter disaster, especially when it was humid. I did a jam night with them on my jazz and it was like playing a guitar covered in glue.

Once I get my P back from the repair man I'm very tempted to go back to flats, there's just something about a P with flats, a synergy if you will ;-)

Not a dilemma for me.

The sound of my Lull PJ5 improved 200% when I changed from rounds to flats. Now using TI flats. The sound became fuller and fatter with more heft (oh yes). There's no going back for me on this bass. I play all sorts of covers and genres and the sound of this Precision has worked for every style I've been asked to play in the last 5 years.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1497721901' post='3320268']
I play in a pub covers band and can't make up my mind whether I prefer flat or roundwound strings on my P-bass. I've been swapping back and forth between gigs and am still non the wiser. I'm thinking that rounds are a better all rounder (excuse the pun) for the variety of material that we cover, but I love the feel and the warmth of the flats.
[/quote]

Indecision? I've not had the dilemma as I've not done enough performance to get a representative sample but I'd suggest that flats are a good choice because they clean with a wipe and are less susceptible, I believe, to dying. Otherwise, you might ask your sound man or someone in the audience whose opinion you can trust if they have a preference.

I changed from rounds to flats a week or so before an Open Mic earlier this year. Despite the strings being a little grabby from new, I had no confidence issues with them in front of the few folk that were there. Now they are played in and I am very happy to keep them on for good.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1497721901' post='3320268']
[/quote]

If you are non the wiser , does it really matter which to use.
Go with your gut.

I dabbled a bit with flats a while back. The band I,m in plays some trebley, pick powered Thin Lizzy type stuff, and some old school thump like Free and early Purple.
I could not get a set of flats to replicate the twangy stuff accurately enough.
I now roll the tone off and stick a bit of sponge under the bridge if I want the flats type thump on my Ernie Ball regular slinkies. :)

I've just come away from 18yrs of playing with flats. They are great for country, reggae, old soul and roots-y rock 'n' roll but I had neglected myself of the great tones you get from rounds. If we're being honest you can play anything on anything and it's actually a nice dilemma. A bass strung with each and going with the mood of the day would be my answer.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1497758323' post='3320387']
the obvious answer is buy another P, put flats on one, rounds on the other . It's the only way I could resolve the issue hehe :)
[/quote]
[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1497776050' post='3320449']
I keep changing from one to the other, each has its advantages...as advised, you need more basses, so you can have the choice without constantly changing strings!
[/quote]
[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1497782549' post='3320509']
I've just come away from 18yrs of playing with flats. They are great for country, reggae, old soul and roots-y rock 'n' roll but I had neglected myself of the great tones you get from rounds. If we're being honest you can play anything on anything and it's actually a nice dilemma. A bass strung with each and going with the mood of the day would be my answer.
[/quote]

Fuelling the GAS :lol:

For me, unless you're playing punk or much heavier rock, your P bass will definitely benefit from flats.
My covers stuff largely has a pop, motown type feel, so my '71 P has had Chromes (flats) on it for the last 2 years, much better than rounds. No thin d & G strings up high, all notes have a robust sound to them across the neck. Great feel and tension with the Chromes too.

That said, I've used a P (or P/J) with my heavier math-rock band, and rounds are more appropriate, so my second 4 string bass (currently being built) will have rounds.
My 5 (soapbar humbuckers) has rounds too, could go to flats on that, but undecided on that, i'm mostly a 4 player anyway.

Really it's just what's appropriate, ask your band mates what sits better in the mix, listen to live recordings with both etc.

Si

the obvious answer is buy another P, put flats on one, rounds on the other . It's the only way I could resolve the issue hehe :)
[/quote]

You took the words right out of my mouth! :D

[/quote]

This was my first thought too lol

I recently put some LaBella Low Tension flats on a new fretless bass
I have to say, I've grown to like them quite a lot. I don't like the higher tension you get with Flats
Previously, I had a fretless with TI flats - they were a lovely low tension string, but sometimes felt a bit too low tension

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1497875546' post='3321000']

This was my first thought too lol

I recently put some LaBella Low Tension flats on a new fretless bass
I have to say, I've grown to like them quite a lot. I don't like the higher tension you get with Flats
Previously, I had a fretless with TI flats - they were a lovely low tension string, but sometimes felt a bit too low tension
[/quote]

I'm using 45-105 Fender flats and the higher tension over 45-105 Fender rounds is something that I'm not overly comfortable with. I'd like to try lower tension flats