Why become a member? ×

No treble boost on MEC Pre-amp

Grangur

Just a couple of days ago I picked up a really nice Warwick FNA Jazzman 5er. Its really nice and I enjoyed it until I took it apart to re-finish the body.

Before I tool it apart, the bass was really dirty and the MEC Pre-amp has a couple of problems.

[url="https://flic.kr/p/UFFoGD"][/url]

The small selector switch that switches between the coils on the HB pup, seems to only switch between the bridge coil, on it's own, and both coils. It's not possible to have the bridge coil on it's own. I think this is probably down to a faulty switch.

The more significant problem is the Treble-boost/cut pot doesn't seem to do anything. The Mids and Bass pots are fine, but the Treble pot does nothing. Is there anyone here in the collective who's worked on these?

Does anyone have any light to shine on what might be the problem< or even better, the answer to the problem?

My initial thought was to spray the pot, but I think this is a little unlikely that you'd have nothing at all. I've looked at the wiring connections and those appear to be ok. There's also no obvious damage to the circuit board either.

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I think the switch is only for the humbucker, the switch changes the wiring to offer; parallel, single and series options. [url="http://www.warwickbass.com/en/Warwick---Basses-Made-in-Germany--FNA--FNA-Jazzman--4-5-string--Manual.html"]shematics here[/url]
Nevery experienced a pot not working without cutting the signal, maybe the pot cleaner would be worth at shot before spending £40 on a new pot from warwick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...