Why become a member? ×

Giving the sound tech what they want - potential stupid question alert

rOB

Ok it might not sound like your about to be world beating CD you've just recorded but some of the best live bass mixes I've heard for multi band gigs have been from a clean di box before the amp input, why people still think a £350 bass head will sound better than a £7000 digital mixing desk I'm not sure?

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I kinda see it from all angles.

DI is simple, quick to change over... and any sound guy should be able to get a great bass sound from it because it hasn't be swamped with stupid amounts of low end, or nasally treble.

Amping is great but what you hear on stage may not sound good in the mix. At all. If you are going through a PA, then your amp is your monitor. I can pretty much guarantee that the sound you want for your monitor to hear yourself, is not what you want to hear out front.

Modelling - if you must have your sound, get a modeller... and then you can send all your modulation, overdrive etc... to the front of house. If you think that modellers don't cut it compared to your amp... well, you need to check them out again... because on a gig, you'd never notice the difference between an amp generated tone and the modelled tone. Maybe in the studio... but live, no way.

The greatest way to get a good sound is to leave it to the sound guy (assuming that he isn't complete tosh - then you are on to a loser regardless). They know the PA, they know the room... and they have the ears out front. OK, your bass may not have the same grind or fx as on the record... but the truth is, most people in the audience won't notice/care. A big bass sound is a big sound with or without distortion... but a clean guitar vs a distorted guitar are two very different things.

Of course, you want everything to be perfect... but in multi band setups and the like, it's just not usually practical. This is why a lot of bands have their own soundguy - you've schooled them on what you want... and they are paid to get it. Very different to when you are passing through a small time venue.

We were playing an outdoor festival at the weekend and while I was tuning up my DB the sound man came up to me and said 'I want to hear how your bass sounds so I can get the mix/eq right'. And the PA sound was excellent, so a member of the audience told me.

But I always take an XLR out of the amp pre eq. I want to get my backline right and have opportunity to adjust it during the gig without affecting the PA. What comes out of that is entirely up to the sound man. If it's good, then great. If it doesn't, then I'm not too bothered.

If you think your bass sound is best left to the sound engineer, then you probably have a very "vanilla" bass sound, and if so, you're correct. I have a very dirty bass sound indeed. I've done the same as others and just have an amp sim with DI out at the end of my chain, and give the soundman that

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1497955767' post='3321555']
If you think your bass sound is best left to the sound engineer, then you probably have a very "vanilla" bass sound, and if so, you're correct. I have a very dirty bass sound indeed. I've done the same as others and just have an amp sim with DI out at the end of my chain, and give the soundman that
[/quote]
There's a phrase I've never really understood, though I get fully what you mean.

Vanilla.

Vanilla isn't cheap, it has a unique flavour & just about everybody likes it.

Cheap "vanilla" ice cream on the other hand, not many people like it & it doesn't even taste of vanilla! :lol:

My suggestion would be to invest in a decent passive DI box and use it post amp (from the effects send or preamp out - a good DI will have pad switches to match the input sensitivity to the signal strength). Using the DI out on your amp carries a risk of the sound person stuffing 48v into it if he/she forgets to disable the phantom power. I've seen it happen. Not good for most onboard DI outs. The transformer in a passive DI will not be affected should that be the case.

Edited by Dan Dare

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1497958022' post='3321584']
There's a phrase I've never really understood, though I get fully what you mean.

Vanilla.

Cheap "vanilla" ice cream on the other hand, not many people like it & it doesn't even taste of vanilla! :lol:
[/quote]

Like an all valve SVT then - expensive, unique sounding and lots of folk like it. However, I don't want my amp to sound like an SVT :)

I don't do multi band gigs, but on a festival, I meet the sound guy and introduce myself, get his name, shake his hand and have a chat about the sound. I have great DI's in all my amps. I give the FOH post EQ. I have never had an issue, problem or confrontation with a festival sound crew. I always thank the guys after the gig.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1497960955' post='3321618']
I don't do multi band gigs, but on a festival, I meet the sound guy and introduce myself, get his name, shake his hand and have a chat about the sound. I have great DI's in all my amps. I give the FOH post EQ. I have never had an issue, problem or confrontation with a festival sound crew. I always thank the guys after the gig.
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more with this approach. Establish a bit of a rapport with the guy and he'll be more likely to go the extra mile. Communicate! I've done sound checks as a singer with guys who curse under their breath at the fact there's too much/not enough of themselves in a monitor mix (for example) and I've found myself having to calmly explain to them that the sound guy isn't psychic and can't be in two places at once. Then proceeded to politely ask for the adjustment in monitor levels. If you don't ask you don't get most of the time. A thank you costs nothing.

Unless of course the sound guy was genuinely terrible and a d*ck :lol:

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1497958022' post='3321584']

Vanilla.

[/quote]

I quite agree, but we all know what the phrase means and I don't know what else to say instead. I didn't mean a bland bass sound, but I did mean "every day" or "common"

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1497961784' post='3321627']
Unless of course the sound guy was genuinely terrible and a d*ck :lol:
[/quote]

They do crop up. Maybe it's luck but in many years I've only ever encountered 1 totally incompetent sound engineer.

Unfortunately, if you're unlucky enough to bump into one of these guys there's not a lot you can do about it. For your own satisfaction you have to make sure that, whatever happens, you're going to be the absolute professional to the end.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1497963882' post='3321641']

I quite agree, but we all know what the phrase means and I don't know what else to say instead. I didn't mean a bland bass sound, but I did mean "every day" or "common"
[/quote]

The way I see it is that a good old fashioned vanilla sound that everyone out front can enjoy is better than a salted caramel with hand twirled toffee sauce that can only be enjoyed by the player and maybe the front row, there's nothing worse than seeing a band with a generic but great bass sound then on the third song he applies "his sound" with the pedal board or whatever never to be heard again :( Flea is the worst person for it and I presume he and his crew know a thing or two, how a sound guy at a festival is going to keep up with all your patches that he's never heard before with a fifteen minute band change over I'll never know but hey it's "your sound" :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1497972582' post='3321733']
The way I see it is that a good old fashioned vanilla sound that everyone out front can enjoy is better than a salted caramel with hand twirled toffee sauce that can only be enjoyed by the player and maybe the front row, there's nothing worse than seeing a band with a generic but great bass sound then on the third song he applies "his sound" with the pedal board or whatever never to be heard again :( Flea is the worst person for it and I presume he and his crew know a thing or two, how a sound guy at a festival is going to keep up with all your patches that he's never heard before with a fifteen minute band change over I'll never know but hey it's "your sound" :D
[/quote]

Sound engineers seem to cope perfectly well with the multitude of sounds that guitarists and keyboard players throw at them.

What makes the bass so different?

I'd say they are still operating in the frequency area that is easier to get out front to the audience even if it's a horrible sound, I know that's not what you want to hear, you want to point out about mics for guitarists rather than crap Di boxes but that's life, chances are if there's two minutes to spare to run the fx pedals through the foh the guitarist will get them, you might get time for a clean and a dirty each if your lucky, 150 presets that all sound great in the practice room, nah forget it :)

When I was in late teens I owned a black widow Pavey.The sound tech turned my bass down coming out the PA so I just turned the Pavey right up onstage.The gig was in a medium sized theatre and Pavey was loud enough for the circumstances. Stuff you sound techs.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1497986314' post='3321840']
When I was in late teens I owned a black widow Pavey.The sound tech turned my bass down coming out the PA so I just turned the Pavey right up onstage.The gig was in a medium sized theatre and Pavey was loud enough for the circumstances. Stuff you sound techs.
[/quote]
Was that some sort of rip off Peavey?

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1498000447' post='3321959']

Was that some sort of rip off Peavey?
[/quote]
No it was not. I still have it. It is stored at my parents house.It hasn't been properly used for 25 years. Some idiot who had access to a rehearsal room decided to use it for a disco night without my permission and since it has sounded distorted. I checked the speaker and it seems fine. Might require a little fix but probably will cost more to fix than sell.

Completely off topic but in old Black Widow speakers the glues tend to break down over time. The glues are used to hold the dust caps on and fix the corrugated surrounds to the speaker frame. It's a simple repair to ease tehm off then stick them back with a latex based glue like Copydex. just be careful not to pull the cone off centre when you glue the surround.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1498032511' post='3322042']
Completely off topic but in old Black Widow speakers the glues tend to break down over time. The glues are used to hold the dust caps on and fix the corrugated surrounds to the speaker frame. It's a simple repair to ease tehm off then stick them back with a latex based glue like Copydex. just be careful not to pull the cone off centre when you glue the surround.
[/quote]
Is that applicable to Pavey Black Widows? Or is it just Peavey Black Widows?

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1498025588' post='3321986']
No it was not. I still have it. It is stored at my parents house.It hasn't been properly used for 25 years. Some idiot who had access to a rehearsal room decided to use it for a disco night without my permission and since it has sounded distorted. I checked the speaker and it seems fine. Might require a little fix but probably will cost more to fix than sell.
[/quote]

I think EBS_freak post should have had a :-) after it. It was more a comment your (or your device's) inability to spell "Peavey"