Why become a member? ×

AKG C411 setup

tinyd

Hi there
I've seen a few posts about AKG C411 pickups being used for double bass and I'm thinking of trying one and blending it with my existing pickup to see if I can get a more natural sound live.

I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer. Basically, what other gear do I need to use a C411 with a bass amp, especially if I want to blend it? I have a GK MB150 but it only has one input so I'm guessing that I'll need some kind of mixer but do I also need something to match the levels between the C411 and my existing pickup?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Edited by tinyd

This:

[url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/schatten_design_mini_pre_2_acoustic_preamp.htm"]https://www.thomann.de/gb/schatten_design_mini_pre_2_acoustic_preamp.htm[/url]

You'll need a mono to stereo 'Y' cable or you could wire both pickup outputs to a single stereo jack.

This mic will need phantom power, meaning you'll need a preamp that provides fp. I'd recommend an Art Tube, nice and cheap and it will control the level of the mic. Plug this into the effects return on the GK and you've got two sources going in whose levels can be individually controlled. Unfortunately tho you'll only be able adjust the eq settings of the pickup that goes in at the front end.

Thanks very much for the replies, I didn't know about either the Schatten or Art Tube preamps so that's good to know. It hadn't occurred to me to use the effects return on my amp so thanks for that @bassace.

I guess I just need to figure out if a setup like this will actually work at a gig..

Thanks again

I have a C411pp, which I've usually used with an ART Tube MP. This doesn't allow for blending, but gives you a jack output for your amp and an XLR out for the PA as well as providing phantom power to the C411. I've also tried an ART Promix microphone mixer which runs on batteries, but somehow never sounded great. The Headway EDB-2 looks like the ideal thing to use, and can do the blending thing, but I've never quite got the cash together for one. If you can find a small mixer that has both phantom powered mic inputs and a High-Z instrument input you might be able to blend the C411 and pickup more cheaply. I've not seen many that have both on separate channels, but the Allen and Heath Zed 6 looks like it would do the job.
There is quite a lot of scope for tweaking the C411 to taste just through positioning; if you move it closer to the bridge feet you get a little more high-end detail and less thump, more of a "pickup" sound, while it gets darker with broader dynamics (more mic-like?) further away.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

Thanks @Beer - the Headway looks like the right tool alright but I agree about the price - the Allen and Heath sounds like a good alternative. I'm reluctant to spend too much money just because the mic setup could be fiddly, prone to feedback and generally not that usable in a gig, but I guess I'll always be able to sell any gear on again if it doesn't work out for me.

I've used a Behringer mixer similar to this http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Behringer-Xenyx-1202FX-Mixer/2A5
This will get you in the ballpark mixing both mike and pickup combinations, its small, portable has phantom power for a decent mike and the EQ sounds good.
I've run this straight into My GK RB1001 head and used it with a power amp both with good results.