Why become a member? ×

How much???

Bass_Guardian

https://reverb.com/uk/p/gibson-les-paul-standard-burst-1958-1960?device=c&gclid=CODwrtr7ydQCFcG37QodGHwIIw&hfid=4491678

Have vintage guitars just rocketed in price or is this normal?

Are there more expensive gutiars out there than this just due to it's age rather than a celeb link?

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1497880109' post='3321060']
You'd think they'd offer free shipping at that price... :blink:
[/quote]

Indeed.

Is it worth almost a third of a million ? If somebody buys it at that price then yes it is.

Let's not confuse worth (a value judgement) with price (a [i]hopefully[/i] quantitative evaluation of the market)

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1497880420' post='3321062']
Indeed.

Is it worth almost a third of a million ? If somebody buys it at that price then yes it is.

Let's not confuse worth (a value judgement) with price (a [i]hopefully[/i] quantitative evaluation of the market)
[/quote]

Ooft lets no start this topic again :lol:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1497880109' post='3321060']
You'd think they'd offer free shipping at that price... :blink: In fact, they should bring it to your home in a stretch limo full of beautiful women :gas:
[/quote]

If they don't chuck in a few pleccys and a lead I'm not buying it

A 59 LP is considered the holy grail of LP's due to the neck profile that year. If they have a detailed and pronounced flame top then the price goes even sillier.

The LP was discontinued in 1960 until around 1968 I think, so the only years for a 'modern' spec LP is 1957-1960 as they had P90's before then (amongst other things). Therefore less of them around means very rich people pay high. They were about that price in 2007 before the Downturn, they then went as 'low' (haha) as £125k. Wonder if they will actually sell at those prices you've seen today?

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1497883177' post='3321087']

And if it will ever be played? :(
[/quote]

Very suprisingly, there's two guys in London that I know of who currently do still use them live. People just assume they are replicas.

But yeah, too many ended up in hedge fund syndicates.

BTW, in early 2000's I recall a music shop owner offering a local muso £60k for his 59 LP that had a repaired broken headstock. The muso was living in a run down council flat and often struggled to pay bills, yet he acknowledged that even though he could almost buy a property of his own he'd rather have the guitar. I've only played one 59LP, it was lush, but not THAT lush :)

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' timestamp='1497881342' post='3321074']
If they don't chuck in a few pleccys and a lead I'm not buying it
[/quote]

OK, I give in, I'll chuck in 12 pleccies, 2 leads and a gig-bag. How's that?

Now, can you please send me payment? :yarr:

There are sought after versions of Strats and Les Pauls that have been up around this level for years.

About 10 years ago we did a gig for a corporate lawyer at his house (we set up in his ballroom) and he showed us his "collection". A room with about 40 collectable and vintage guitars set up on stands and many more still in their cases. He reckoned it was all worth about £10 million.

"Collectors" work to a completely different set of rules.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1497885899' post='3321114']
There are sought after versions of Strats and Les Pauls that have been up around this level for years.

About 10 years ago we did a gig for a corporate lawyer at his house (we set up in his ballroom) and he showed us his "collection". A room with about 40 collectable and vintage guitars set up on stands and many more still in their cases. He reckoned it was all worth about £10 million.

"Collectors" work to a completely different set of rules.
[/quote]

Sadly true. Anyone remember that silicon valley billionaire who advertised for vintage instruments a few years back. He was photographed sitting on the bonnet of the Batmobile (which he owns), holding the first ever Gibson Citation and something else equally droolworthy. He invited people to tell/send him what they had and he would make offers. It was obvious, from the fact that he was holding the guitars like shovels, that he didn't have a clue what to do with them. Was tempted to post a dog turd to him with a note that he would probably find it of more use. Collectors are usually (I know there are exceptions) people with far too much money who envy musicians their ability and mistakenly think that if they have a '59 Les Paul or whatever, they will automatically sound like their heroes. Fortunately for those of us who can actually play, it ain't so. :D

At that level you're not buying an instrument, your investing capital into an object you hope is going to significantly appreciate in value over the next few years or at the very worst it won't depreciate.

People do the same with art and vintage Ferraris.

Onve aquired it goes into storage never to be viewed again until the next sale.