Why become a member? ×

Simple songs - suggestions needed

T-Bay

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1497900796' post='3321232']
We have a 90 minute set but have been offered a great gig locally but would need to play 2-3hrs, it's short notice so we have about 4 hours of rehearsal time tops between now and then. So looking for 10 ish songs that are dead simple but classics everyone knows. Ideally punk/ grunge/ hard rock but flexible as long as its rockish. Stuff like I can't explain, by The who, mollys lips by Nirvana/ The vaselines, Louie Louie etc would be ideal. We have two days to sort a set and say yes or no to the gig so it's a bit of a panic.
[/quote]

I'd need to see your set as it is now. PM if you like.

[quote name='Tony p' timestamp='1497953370' post='3321520']
Has anyone else here just played the set twice when they've used up all their material.... ?
[/quote]

Yes, depending on context. If the audience has changed since start of gig, no great problem; not really recommended if they're the same folks, I'd suggest.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1497954321' post='3321533']
Anything by Status Quo is good. Caroline is a well known number. We also do Blockbuster by Sweet, very simple and great crowd pleaser. Highway To Hell Ac/DC also simple and effective.
[/quote]Blockbuster, till you get to the triplet bit

lifted wholesale from my old punk covers lot and based on how few chords on the guitar were required (apologies if I repeat some that have already been suggested)

Pistols: Pretty Vacant, God Save The Queen, Anarchy In The UK
Clash: White Riot - also doubles up as being musically almost identical as Two Pints Of Lager & A Packet Of Crisps Please by Splodgenesabounds
Ramones: Sheena Is A Punk Rocker, Blitzkreig Bop, I Wanna Be Sedated
Tenpole Tudor - Swords Of A Thousand Men
Ruts - Babylon's Burning (also In A Rut, easy but a bit of a dirge)
Only Ones - Another Girl, Another Planet (disclaimer - it's a lot of work to get the guitar solos right, but the bass and rhythm guitar are a piece of p#ss)
Damned - Neat, Neat, Neat
Stranglers - No More Heroes (again, lead guitar and the arrangement take a bit or work, but the actual bass lines are really simple)
Elvis Costello - (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
Green Day - Basket Case
Still Little Fingers - Alternative Ulster (but again, the arrangement takes a bit of work)

And another vote for Fight For Your Right To Party - we always did that as an encore and it brought the house down.

Thanks everyone, there are plenty of options to look at. We have managed to squeeze in a quick two hour rehearsal tomorrow after work so will go through a few but I am confident we can bang out a few of the ones mentioned in not too much time.

Edited by T-Bay

New Years Day from U2 is a great catchy and simple song

Several from AC/DC (personal fav is Sin City but there are a lot of simple easy to learn ones)
ZZ Top always a good crowd pleaser.

Oh and yes i've played the first song in set as an encore and as part of the 2nd set usually the singer states that "by special request we've been asked to play ***** again) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave

We played our whole set again at our first gig, it was a works do and they asked if we could play more, we explained the situation but they seemed to love it even more the second time around (Christmas parties for you!) so I guess we could sneak the odd one in if we have to, the other option is to do all along the watchtower and make it last twenty minutes.

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1497970432' post='3321714']
lifted wholesale from my old punk covers lot and based on how few chords on the guitar were required (apologies if I repeat some that have already been suggested)

Pistols: Pretty Vacant, God Save The Queen, Anarchy In The UK
Clash: White Riot - also doubles up as being musically almost identical as Two Pints Of Lager & A Packet Of Crisps Please by Splodgenesabounds
Ramones: Sheena Is A Punk Rocker, Blitzkreig Bop, I Wanna Be Sedated
Tenpole Tudor - Swords Of A Thousand Men
Ruts - Babylon's Burning (also In A Rut, easy but a bit of a dirge)
Only Ones - Another Girl, Another Planet (disclaimer - it's a lot of work to get the guitar solos right, but the bass and rhythm guitar are a piece of p#ss)
Damned - Neat, Neat, Neat
Stranglers - No More Heroes (again, lead guitar and the arrangement take a bit or work, but the actual bass lines are really simple)
Elvis Costello - (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
Green Day - Basket Case
Still Little Fingers - Alternative Ulster (but again, the arrangement takes a bit of work)

And another vote for Fight For Your Right To Party - we always did that as an encore and it brought the house down.
[/quote]I have to say if you think Babylon's Burning is easy you're either a hell of a bass player or you're not playing it properly, and White Riot doesn't just follow the chords either, though I do agree about some of the others Another Girl, one of the few songs I can play without looking at my fretboard

Edited by PaulWarning

Roadrunner - Jonathan Richman. Simple, catchy, improvisable, extendable, doesn't matter if your timing drifts a nadge *and* a bona fide Noo Wave classic.

Blank Generation - Richard Hell. The audience will think its Stray Cat Strut initially, and your guitarist will love the ultra gnarly Robert Quine solo.

Edited by MattM

Sorted a few:
Ace of spades,
Blitzkrieg bop and I wanna be sedated
All the small things
If the kids are united
Peaches
Suspect device ( one of my all time favourites so would love to sneak it in even though it's not that well known)
Should I stay or should I go
With or without you (if needed)

That should make the best part of 30 minutes with luck.

sounds like you guys know how to play A , D and E chords, right?

any and all of the ACDC catalogue should do :)

Oh, and at a 3 hour gig, guaranteed that if you repeat songs from the first set in your last set, no one will notice or care.

Better to repeat a song well than screw up a buncha new songs