Why become a member? ×

Flying with 2 basses or more

Byo

Hi y'all,

Just wanted some ideas/advice as I will be recording overseas February next year and ideally I would like to take at least 2 of my basses on a plane.

Obviously I am looking for a secure system that ideally holds at least 2 instruments in one enclosure as logistic costs need to be kept as low as possible.

I have already looked into custom flight cases and even the triple bass cases from Scott Dixon [url="https://www.scottdixoninc.com/product-page/standard-triple-bass-case"]https://www.scottdix...riple-bass-case[/url] but they cost over half a grand!!!

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Cheers,

Byo

Edited by Byo

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1498400206' post='3324310']
Fusion do a double gig bag, it's pretty bombproof and you could pack it up more inside for the plane journey.

Depends whether you think that is safe enough
[/quote]

Thanks Cuzzie.
Yup, seen the Fusion bag but not sure if the basses would survive the hold or the ground staff at the airports...
Still looking for a bomb-proof solution.

Might be worth keeping an eye on eBay for second hand flight cases for other things, big keyboards, cabs, stuff like that jumps to mind. Then you could foam them out within an inch of their lives. Will be expensive to get on the plane though I think.

Hi Byo

I have a Fusion double gig bag and it's excellent - there's a review here somewhere.

I also got lucky on eBay and won a Scott Dixon built Fender case. It's the same basic construction as their normal cases but the inside is a bit more basic, with simple dividers rather than the locking sort they do now.

I'm in York and if you wanted to borrow it, or check out the Fusion case, let me know!

Cheers
ped

[url=https://ibb.co/dTUPDQ][/url]

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1498419761' post='3324485']
Might be worth keeping an eye on eBay for second hand flight cases for other things, big keyboards, cabs, stuff like that jumps to mind. Then you could foam them out within an inch of their lives. Will be expensive to get on the plane though I think.
[/quote]
Great idea, I have also seen some people use riffle cases (which seem to be pretty robust too).

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1498421681' post='3324522']
Get a proper flight case.

£500 is nothing to protect your musical children.
[/quote]
Haha! Absolutely!

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1498502634' post='3325085']
Hi Byo

I have a Fusion double gig bag and it's excellent - there's a review here somewhere.

I also got lucky on eBay and won a Scott Dixon built Fender case. It's the same basic construction as their normal cases but the inside is a bit more basic, with simple dividers rather than the locking sort they do now.

I'm in York and if you wanted to borrow it, or check out the Fusion case, let me know!

Cheers
ped
[/quote]
Wow Ped, that looks amazing.
Deffo is perfect for touring.

Thanks for offering assistance! BChat love all around!
I have until Feb next year to figure out a solution...

Edited by Byo

My brother in law travelled to Norway for a gig recently by air. Both on his out flight and his return flight, his electric guitar got trashed by ground staff. Luckily he's handy with a soldering iron and managed to repair it before the gig.

My niece, who has her own band, had the same experience when she travelled to Australia for a tour this May. It was in a professional flight case but somebody still managed to do serious damage to it. Luckily she had her dad with her (my brother in law) as her guitar tech and he managed to put it back together.

I'd hate for my pride and joy to be damaged by neanderthal like, ground staff. Good luck......you'll probably need it.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1499190040' post='3329852']
My brother in law travelled to Norway for a gig recently by air. Both on his out flight and his return flight, his electric guitar got trashed by ground staff. Luckily he's handy with a soldering iron and managed to repair it before the gig.

My niece, who has her own band, had the same experience when she travelled to Australia for a tour this May. It was in a professional flight case but somebody still managed to do serious damage to it. Luckily she had her dad with her (my brother in law) as her guitar tech and he managed to put it back together.

I'd hate for my pride and joy to be damaged by neanderthal like, ground staff. Good luck......you'll probably need it.
[/quote]
Thank you for sharing your stories Gjones. That is the main fear... I don't know what I would do if one of my basses comes with a snapped neck of bashed body... especially just before a long recording session.

On the other hand, Janek Gwizdala in one of his videos talks about not having any issues with flying around the World with his Fodera into a SKB Bass Safe, which essentially is a hard ABS shell that fits your gig bag into it (which does not look very safe to me...).

I have started to contemplate the idea of just getting quality backline (2-3 basses) and avoiding any possible issues.

• 5 months later...
On 06/07/2017 at 12:50, Byo said:

On the other hand, Janek Gwizdala in one of his videos talks about not having any issues with flying around the World with his Fodera into a SKB Bass Safe, which essentially is a hard ABS shell that fits your gig bag into it (which does not look very safe to me...).

I think the gig bag you use inside the SKB would also be a contributing factor. Following Janeks VLOG showed that Fodera being checked in  numerous time and no major damage, so perhaps a good gig bad and an SKB could do the trick for one bass, then hand luggage the 2nd bass.

4 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

I think the gig bag you use inside the SKB would also be a contributing factor. Following Janeks VLOG showed that Fodera being checked in  numerous time and no major damage, so perhaps a good gig bad and an SKB could do the trick for one bass, then hand luggage the 2nd bass.

You're totally right, a quality gigbag is essential with the SKB. IIRC, Janek uses a thick leather one with his Fodera.

• 6 months later...
On 26/06/2017 at 19:43, ped said:

Hi Byo

Cheers
ped

IMG_1015.png&key=954b27b9c82d7fb6fe348bcbf086e10a402716f00202ac0a9ee0afe51b0e0f1c

You let me know when you want to sell this ok 😉

They`re great, protect guitars, double up as stands on stage etc, for regularly touring bands I`d say they`re a must. We only tour once a year at present but if that changes we may well look at one of these.

One way to minimise any possible damage is to take the basses with you to the boarding gate and only hand them over when you get on the plane and then do the reverse at the other end. I know a few musicians who fly out to cruise ships and always do this. Same principle as having a pushchair for a child.

3 hours ago, BassBunny said:

One way to minimise any possible damage is to take the basses with you to the boarding gate and only hand them over when you get on the plane and then do the reverse at the other end. I know a few musicians who fly out to cruise ships and always do this. Same principle as having a pushchair for a child.

The problem with this is that airlines have different rules about how large an instrument can be in and still be carried on. And instruments can still get royally messed up when they are in the cargo hold, even if it is gate checked baggage. 

The only true way to guarantee your bass is in safe hands is to call the airline and book your bass a seat. You'll end up with the bass in a window seat, no extra baggage allotments for carryon or checked bag mind you, and you'll be the only person to handle them except for when they go through the X-ray machine.

For two basses, you could do what I did and order a Golf Club Travel Bag (I bought the AmazonBasics one). This will fit two basses, in their respective gigbags, back-to-back and just fits in under the size requirements of the majority of airlines (not counting the budget'iest ones that barely fit small humans in their seats). You'll get weird looks and most airport staff will tell you "Oh, you can't bring your golf clubs on board," but just kindly, calmly explain that it is, in fact, two bass guitars, and be prepared to show them your CBBG tag (best I can figure, this stands for CaBin BaGgage). This option is great if you don't plan on bringing both basses out everywhere you go and therefore don't want to just bring them both along in one double gigbag. Most double bags seem to be less protective when only one bass is in it.

Considering the combined costs of a flight case and the excess baggage fee to check the bass in as cargo, balanced against the risk of catastrophic damage that the airline will undoubtedly pass off as your fault because it wasn't packed right or the case was faulty or whatever, I'd rather pay for the seat and know that I will be wholly responsible for the instrument.

If this option is too costly, take one bass disassembled (neck seperate from body). Body goes in your suitcase packed in the middle of your clothes, neck goes onboard as your only carry-on in some sort of long, narrow case (maybe something designed for a tripod or poster).

If all else fails, rent or borrow something. That may be difficult if, like me, you play non-standard basses (Dingwall ABZ6 and Super P5). I could make due on other similarly equipped 5 and 6 strings, but it would take some of the comfort and joy out of flying out for a job.

Edited by jposega
  • Like 1