Why become a member? ×

SE Bass Bash 2017 - with Steve Lawson and Davey Rimmer

Silvia Bluejay

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1506357122' post='3378198']

There was a little frisson of leftie bass love between the stage and the "camera operator". ;)
[/quote]Probably looking for an opportunity to liberate said bass :D

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1506357122' post='3378198']

Mind you, Davey got a stern telling off when, while talking about the difficulty of finding decent left handed basses, he made a throwaway remark, "Maybe I should've just learned right handed..." :) :D
[/quote]Rookie error.

Well, I sat down to work out "Sunrise" this evening and the bass line on the 1972 album is different to my recollection of what Davey played (I guess I'm one of those ones he mentioned who goes "Aha! that's not quite right!"); I had been thinking I'd better go back and check those lines out...

Now I've got to find an example of Davey playing it to work that out (I should've recorded him on my phone!).

I liked his version - more modern and aggressive than the original, I'd say.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1506431554' post='3378673']
Good time had, even though I didn't manage to get around to checking out Cetera's Future Impact, The Greeks Elf, Ped's Wingbass (need to hook it up to a GR unit next time!), and generally try all the sexy basses that were about.
Next year!
[/quote]

And I completely failed to try your Shukers. Again. 😶

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1506434336' post='3378690']

And I completely failed to try your Shukers. Again. 😶
[/quote] I had an interesting chat about those. Had a couple of features I had never heard of. Very nice basses. I still don't think I am a headless bass person. I would like to try one, but the usual left handed problem .

Edited by timmo

Just to weigh in here, it was a good day. I have to say, I enjoyed the Steve Lawson event immensely and profess I'd never even heard a note of his before the day; musically it reminded me a lot (and I'm uncertain whether this is a good or bad thin to say!) of David Sylvian's [i]Gone To Earth, Flux and Mutability, Approaching Silence[/i] material. I will be investigating more.

Some nice basses on show...I fall a little more in love with Gary's reverse Thunderbird every time I see it. The bass with the Pacman LEDs was a delight. There was a really nice 5-string (an Alpha), I think it was Peds. Reminded me of a design from Bud LeCompte (who used to be on the old alt.bass newsgroup and here, or Bassworld, for a while too).

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1506587076' post='3379679']
Just to weigh in here, it was a good day. I have to say, I enjoyed the Steve Lawson event immensely and profess I'd never even heard a note of his before the day; musically it reminded me a lot (and I'm uncertain whether this is a good or bad thin to say!) of David Sylvian's [i]Gone To Earth, Flux and Mutability, Approaching Silence[/i] material. I will be investigating more.
[/quote]

Hi Nancy! Those three records are all big influences on my music - very well spotted! If you delve into my back catalogue you find a couple of collaborators that David Sylvian and I share (BJ Cole & Theo Travis) and a lot more music that incorporates in some obvious and some less obvious ways his influence :)

[quote name='Steve Lawson' timestamp='1506679972' post='3380349']
Hi Nancy! Those three records are all big influences on my music - very well spotted! If you delve into my back catalogue you find a couple of collaborators that David Sylvian and I share (BJ Cole & Theo Travis) and a lot more music that incorporates in some obvious and some less obvious ways his influence :)
[/quote]

With Japan, it was very much a case of diminishing returns...I adored them early on but the longer it went on, the less engaged I felt. I profess more of a connection with Mick Karn than the aforementioned Mr Batt, but I did connect big time with his [i]Gone To Earth[/i], I've lost count of the times it's been on at home...he has the ability to create an immense soundscape, which isn't to say his brother, Richard or Mick don't have an immense extracurricular back catalogue.

[quote name='cetera' timestamp='1506330600' post='3377861']
A fantastic day - so many great people and instruments/gear. I've always said that bassists are the greatest musicians to be around - No airs and graces - just nice people and this was proven tenfold on Saturday!

As said before - big thanks to Nik, Colin, Ped, Mrs Hamster and all involved in organising the day and keeping it running smoothly. Big ups to Davey, Lee and Steve for their great talks too :)

Same time next year?! ;)
[/quote]

With your background in Rock and fair collection of basses it would have been nice to hear you give a talk even if it was just on the tribute side of the music. You must have some great stories of gigs too. You've played a few first class one Gary.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1506756061' post='3380853']

With your background in Rock and fair collection of basses it would have been nice to hear you give a talk even if it was just on the tribute side of the music. You must have some great stories of gigs too. You've played a few first class one Gary.

Dave
[/quote]

+1 Great idea!

Let's get James involved next year as well Gary? 😊

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1506702554' post='3380564']

With Japan, it was very much a case of diminishing returns...I adored them early on but the longer it went on, the less engaged I felt. I profess more of a connection with Mick Karn than the aforementioned Mr Batt, but I did connect big time with his [i]Gone To Earth[/i], I've lost count of the times it's been on at home...he has the ability to create an immense soundscape, which isn't to say his brother, Richard or Mick don't have an immense extracurricular back catalogue.
[/quote]

Yup, I love so much of Mick's solo work and Polytown. I played on an album with Steve Jansen a few years back, but we didn't get to meet :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1506846304' post='3381407']
Can't believe it's been over a week already since the Bash... Still buzzing from it actually - it was a good one! :)
[/quote]

And I missed it - again! Bah! :( Definitely coming to the next one if I have to shuffle there on my knees...

Yes it was a good first bash for me. Good to meet up and chat to a few people and see how and why they end up with the set up they do. It's interesting that everyone has a slightly different 'holy grail' sound and part of the gear journey is trying to track it down. I don't know where the time went - I need to catch more of the talks next year. Thanks to all who made it happen!

[quote name='orangefriday' timestamp='1506889593' post='3381857']
Yes it was a good first bash for me. Good to meet up and chat to a few people and see how and why they end up with the set up they do. It's interesting that everyone has a slightly different 'holy grail' sound and part of the gear journey is trying to track it down. I don't know where the time went - I need to catch more of the talks next year. Thanks to all who made it happen!
[/quote]
You definitely win the prize for the best custom guitars there (a red squirl and a pretzel is how I would describe them) - you need to post pictures up!

(And thanks for letting me use your rack space... :) )

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1506891431' post='3381880']
You definitely win the prize for the best custom guitars there (a red squirl and a pretzel is how I would describe them) - you need to post pictures up!

[/quote]

+1 It's a really distinctive bass, isn't it.. :)

I heard it in action at a gig locally about a year ago and it sounded really good too...

[quote name='orangefriday' timestamp='1506889593' post='3381857']
[/quote]
[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1506891431' post='3381880']

[/quote]

And the heaviest!!!! Let no one ever complain about a Wal bass being far too heavy ever again! Seriously though, I did love that orange swirly bass, though! And the LEDs on the pretzel left a huge smile on my face!

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1506587076' post='3379679']

Some nice basses on show...I fall a little more in love with Gary's reverse Thunderbird every time I see it. The bass with the Pacman LEDs was a delight. There was a really nice 5-string (an Alpha), I think it was Peds. Reminded me of a design from Bud LeCompte (who used to be on the old alt.bass newsgroup and here, or Bassworld, for a while too).
[/quote]

Paul, you MUST check out more of Steve's music. Three of his early albums, Not Dancing For Chicken, Grace and Gratitude and Behind Every Word are still probably my favourites. I'm sure that Steve will think that three albums over a decade old a ever so old hat but they still contain some absolutely fabulous tunes. MMFSOG, Jimmy James, The Kindness of Strangers and Blue Planet are some of my favourite pieces of music, full stop. And who couldn't love an ambient album inspired by the 2004 European Elections!

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1506756061' post='3380853']

Dave
[/quote]

Crikey.....Err....... very kind! Not sure how comfortable I'd feel standing onstage in front of an audience without 7" stack heels, make up, outfit and axe bass to hide behind though! lol! :ph34r: :ph34r:
And, no, I won't put them on again! :lol: :lol: