Why become a member? ×

Roger Sadowsky with Session.de

NJE

I just watched the live stream Roger Sadowsky did with Session music store from Germany and I could just keep listening to Roger talk. I don't have a Sadowsky so I am not some crazy fan boy, but he seems to be very honest and to the point on various aspects of building basses. He got asked about building fanned fret basses and his response was great, to paraphrase: I can see the point in it and it has value, if you want a good fanned fret bass, buy a Dingwall.

I just really like the guy and actually it is probably one of the reasons he has done well and is at the level he is. I can't afford a Sadowsky and even if I could the necks are too small for me, but his general demeanour makes me want to explore his instruments.

Actually I feel the same about Paul Reed Smith, I just like listening to the guys opinions and general ethos behind building instruments. Also nice to hear Roger say that Lemon Oil was not the best choice for fretboards, I have been convinced of this for years and have since used Music Nomad oil which is incredible and also endorsed by Mr. Sadowsky.

Watch the video, it isn't superb quality but a good listen while I was working.

Initial thing that I picked up is that RS says that boosting mids will make your sound muddy and not stand out in the mix. He also said that he couldn't see why anyone would want to cut bass or treble frequencies.

Hardly the accepted view of many people who frequent Basschat...

Edited by peteb

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a weekend once working alongside Roger and he was an absolute gentleman to spend time with and so inspiring.

He has a great philosophy about instrument building and how a bass should sound and he's always very straight and honest about this.

My NYC is one of my very favourite basses (I gigged it today as it happens).

They just sound so good in a live band mix, almost no matter what the musical style or genre :)

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1498080162' post='3322464']
Initial thing that I picked up is that RS says that boosting mids will make your sound muddy and not stand out in the mix. He also said that he couldn't see why anyone would want to cut bass or treble frequencies.

Hardly the accepted view of many people who frequent Basschat...
[/quote]

This is his philosophy and it shows in his basses. That sets them apart from other brands. It is a love it/hate it thing. Having owned two Sadowskys I can say that this was not for me, though.