Why become a member? ×

NOW SOLD THANKS Celinder J Update 5
£2250

fingerz

A very reluctant sale of my faithful and beautiful Celinder J Update 5. Very sought after for that super jazz/70's esq boutique tone and feel. I had an Alleva Coppolo LM5 which went out the door and this stayed. It's time now however, to move it on.

This bass is slightly unique in my experience of Celinders 5's, in that it weighs 10.2 lbs (lightest one I have come across) and has a slimmer, faster neck profile than the standard you find on these basses. I have lived on this bass, it has been the main bass on the tours of 'Thriller Live' over the last three years. Totally dependable and sounds great in the mix. Even Chris C remarked on how different the neck was and how he remembers giving it more of that 'fast' feel when he built it.

I have brought this bass up to spec, it had a John East when I bought it, which sounded great but yielded noise problems due to the unique design of these pickups and preamp. After much work and help from Chris Celinder, I tracked down a CP3a which is installed and sounding great. I do think I have some other pickups for the bass somewhere, they may even be single coils, which you are welcome to have, however I doubt they will work very well with this preamp.. Anyway, everything is now as it should be, and the sought after pickups and pre are reinstalled.

SPEC:
Body - Danish Ash, Cobalt Blue
Neck - Maple (un-figured, more stable in my experience)
Finger board - Maple, lacquered for 'that' 70's tone. Black dots.
Pickups - Celinder Hum-Cancelling J bass
Preamp - Celinder CP3a, with Dip Switches
Scale length - 35"
Weight - 10.2 lbs (on my digital scales)
There's a small mark on the back of the neck, and a tiny bit of buckle rash you can just about make out above the cavity, and a mark on the top horn from before my time. Generally well looked after with a few marks and scratches over it's lifetime, see pictures.
Note: The bass has slightly more purple in the colour than the pictures show, it's amazing how different it looks in different lights, however it's less 'blue' in the flesh, and slightly darker.
*No case included. It came without one, if I need to ship or it's a deal breaker, then I might be able to sort something if we come to an agreement.

THIS IS SALE ONLY PLEASE. NO TRADES.

If you would like to know anything else then please feel free to PM me or Call me on 07719154668. Delivery/collection very preferable. Try out of course welcome at my house, again, get in touch.

Thanks for looking - good home required!

Cheers,

Jo

Edited by fingerz

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1498844259' post='3327541']
I think this used to be mine about 10 years ago (just checked - 2004)... there can't be many J5 Updates in that colour! A great bass. GLWTS.
[/quote]

Thanks. Maybe so. It was built in '98 and it's the only one I've seen in that colour with the black dots. I believe the previous owner had it for some years too.. They are really special, I will no doubt get another Celinder one day.. Nice one it's good to hear about it's (potential) history.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1501771242' post='3347254']
Some sound clips would be nice! :)
[/quote]

Hi Kiwi,

Sure, on request I can surely have a dig and sort some sound samples - some things are not strictly for public use hence my treading carefully. Serious buyers feel free to get in touch, or come round and see how YOU make it sound! ;)

• 2 weeks later...