Why become a member? ×

New amp day and a surprise

Dan Dare

Just back from Bass Direct. Decided to bite the bullet and treat myself to one of the latest generation class D heads, so went to audition a few. Took my bass (P/J, strung with D'Addario Chromes) and checked on the phone first that BD had a couple of the cabs I use (PJB C4s) so I could hear how it would work in context.

Was interested in the Magellan 800 in particular. It has been well reviewed and I need an amp that will work into 2.7 ohms. I sometimes run 3x8 ohm cabs, so that meant something with the newer ICEpower module, which will cope with impedances that low.

The Mesa 800D, which is 2 ohms capable, was out. A pal has one and it's a fine sounding amp with his setup, but I've tried it with my cabs and the combination is just too aggressive. I like a clean but old school sound (as you can probably guess from the instrument I use).

I started by comparing the Magellan with the Glockenlang Steamhammer (awful name, I know) and was surprised how much I preferred the Glock. Either flat or with moderate eq on both heads, the Glock was warmer and fatter sounding and was a better foil to the clarity of the C4s, whilst giving subtle additional weight to the sound.

I was a bit dismayed that the difference was so marked, as the Glock is £300 dearer than the Genzler. I tried to convince myself that the difference wasn't that great, but it was. Damn.

Then the chaps suggested I tried an Aguilar AG700. I wasn't too keen. I'm not a Tonehammer fan, but they said they thought I'd like the AG700, so I agreed to give it a go. They were right. Surprisingly, it was VERY similar to the Glock, with possibly just a hint of extra clarity. My experience of Tonehammers in the past has been that they sound a little thick and coloured - a bit too old school for my tastes - but this was not the case at all. The two really were very close and it was almost a case of toss a coin to decide.

Pleased that I had found a cheaper alternative (I imagined the cost would be somewhere in Tonehammer territory), I asked the price. Oh. Same as the Glock (which was actually a very good price - BD is significantly cheaper than Thomann and others for the AG700). So after a bit of humming and hawwing, I went for the Aguilar. An additional bonus is that it's a lot easier to set up, with minimal eq and controls compared to the Glock. Just 4 band eq, gain and master and a couple of boost switches (which I prefer to do without).

Have just been annoying the neighbours and early impressions are very favourable. Clarity and weight in spades, massively loud and a very effortless quality to the sound. I'll report again when it's done a gig or two, but it's looking good. So a big thanks to Mark and the chaps at BD for their help.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1498077238' post='3322431']
Heft? :)
[/quote]

At the levels I've played it at so far, yes. Enough to rattle the windows and the frame of the gas fire in my large (20'x15'x9') living room. First gig will be the true test.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1498114476' post='3322543']
Interesting! I tried the AG700 at the LBGS and hated it, but to be fair I was playing an unfamiliar bass and it wasn't exactly quiet there ;)
[/quote]

I wonder if it could have something to do with the cabs I use. The C4s are quite hi-fi, so an amp with a little warmth compliments them nicely. The trick is to get the warmth, but not overdo it to avoid its becoming too thick or muddy sounding. Cabs with fatter bottom end may not suit the head so well.