Why become a member? ×

NCD - Barefaced Super Compact

FinnDave

My Super Compact was delivered to me about ten minutes ago. Looks great, small and light. Ashdown Rootmaster 800 sits on top and doesn't look too lost there. That's my new small & light gig rig sorted, then!

I can now chose, depending on the size of the gig, between the Super Compact, the Super Twin, or both...with Ashdown ABM 500, 600, or Rootmaster 800...or any two of them! I think I need a bigger car!

Obligatory pic, rest of kit covered up behind.
[attachment=247703:IMG_0894.jpg]

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1498119568' post='3322575']
I can now chose, depending on the size of the gig, between the Super Compact, the Super Twin, or both...
[/quote]

Do let us know what sort of gig you're playing where you need both, Dave...I'm imagining Wembley without FOH... :D

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1498128333' post='3322645']
Do let us know what sort of gig you're playing where you need both, Dave...I'm imagining Wembley without FOH... :D
[/quote]

It's best to be prepared! I always take a spare bass, and a spare amp (and recently needed both at the same gig!) and now I can take a spare cab as well.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1498141999' post='3322775']
Taken a better picture now, how high do you think a Gibson Thunderbird through this lot will register on the Richter scale?
[attachment=247724:IMG_0899.jpg]
[/quote]

I had always imagined the SC to be much smaller than the ST, but looking at that picture, there's not much in it!

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1498238537' post='3323383']
I had always imagined the SC to be much smaller than the ST, but looking at that picture, there's not much in it!
[/quote]

It is smaller, but not half the size. Very light, though!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ebenezer' timestamp='1499248344' post='3330224']
Love the engineering and thought that go into barefaced cabs, but i could not live with something built out of
9mm plywood !.....
[/quote]

Try one! :) They feel surprisingly robust and after a while you don't think about the construction - just the lightness and the sound. B)

Love the engineering and thought that go into barefaced cabs, but i could not live with something built out of 9mm plywood !.....
[/quote]

If you love the engineering that much you'd know why Barefaced use 9mm ply and how they make it work.

When the gen 1 Compact, the one that travelled around the country in the early days, came back to Alex it wasn't much good for anything so he crash tested it by throwing it down a 1 story flight of stairs a couple of times.

He did tell me how many time before it broke and I've forgotten, but it was far in excess of anything even the Who (in their heyday) would do to a cab.

If it's done properly, light does not equal weak.

Love the engineering and thought that go into barefaced cabs, but i could not live with something built out of
9mm plywood !.....
[/quote]

9mm (poplar) ply would put me off too. Weight-saving is all very well, but I'd prefer something a bit more substantial both from a practical and acoustical point of view. Having said that, for some players, weight is the number one priority. So I can see the attraction.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1499343553' post='3330851']Having said that, for some players, weight is the number one priority. So I can see the attraction.
[/quote]

Yes and no. I value a lightweight cab, but if it sounded rubbish then that's exactly where it would end up. I moved back to my current BF Compact from a pair of Bergantino HS210s. I prefer the sound I get now, and the difference in lugging my rig about is phenomenal. I also tried one of the much-vaunted Genz Benz Neox 212s. Again, a decent cab, but I prefer my Barefaced gear. The only other cab I have tried, liked and stuck with is the TKS H115. It's not as light as the Compact, but is still very manageable. It also sounds great (to my ears) B)

Despite what some people continually state, not everyone uses Barefaced cabs because they are light, and [i][b]only[/b][/i] because they are light! :)