Why become a member? ×

Wal comparison picture

tommorichards

If I was ever lucky enough to have the choice, it'd be a 4 string mk1 for me.

Just so I could sound like this, listen to how good this sounds (especially the chorus):

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaEN4katH0k&list=PLGIYNBxcSZ3uo0Dv4GUoVf-4yKXu7xmKT[/media]

EDIT just to say if someone could let me know how to sound like this without buying a Wal I'd be ever so grateful :)

Edited by LewisK1975

[quote name='kumimajava' timestamp='1498148074' post='3322816']
Just out of curiosity, a question to anyone who's played the Mk2: how comfy is the access to the highest frets (22nd-24th)?
[/quote]

Not very, actually, as the cut out is only really at the front of the cutaway. You'll see what I mean in the picture below.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1498213675' post='3323146']
Not a massive fan of the MK2 shape myself. I think MK1 for four string and MK3 for fives and sixes :)
[/quote]

I agree. Having owned many Wals of all three versions, a well balanced (i.e. no neck dive) and not too heavy MKI wins for 4s, and I'd go MKIII every time for a 5 or 6.

Having played all versions and previously owned a mk2 5 string and currently two mk3 4 strings, I find mk3 to be the best ergonomically, weight and balance wise (for me personally). I do love the iconic look of the mk1 though.

Edited by Ian Davies

[quote name='mark76' timestamp='1498137817' post='3322745']
WAL are definitely more stylish than Warwick. Though both look like funiture (must be a European thing).
[/quote]

Odd choice of comparison, and there are far more furniturey basses than Wals and Warwicks.

MKII by far the best shape for me, shame about the 4 string neck shape on them all.

Edited by Kev

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1498218054' post='3323178']
Not very, actually, as the cut out is only really at the front of the cutaway. You'll see what I mean in the picture below.
<snip>
[/quote]

Thanks for the pic, and for the clarification - will keep that in mind, should severe temptation for a Wal arise :)

[quote name='kumimajava' timestamp='1498148074' post='3322816']
Just out of curiosity, a question to anyone who's played the Mk2: how comfy is the access to the highest frets (22nd-24th)?
[/quote]

Not very. The heel block is quite large so even though there is space to get in round the front, that big squared-off edge at the back of the body means you can't really get your hand right up to the joint. It's a rudimentary design that doesn't feel particularly finessed or ergonomic but I don't suppose many Wal players flew up the neck.

I have several. I recently sold off my last Mk1 (that black one). I love all Wals, but the MK2 and Mk3 are both way more comfortable. The Mk1 believe it or not requires a longer stretch in the first position.

[IMG]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/Negative7bass/16403323_10212307153580771_129602906646382605_o_zpsguqdfgpd.jpg[/IMG]

The Mk III basses do play and balance beautifully but I still love the more retro look and feel of my Mk I and Pro...

Who reeeeeeealy needs a high G anyway. I barely need one at the octave!!! Lol!

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='mark76' timestamp='1498559719' post='3325475']
Bloody hell. Trev's a giant :o

I kinda want a TrevorR signature Wal. It look neat :D
[/quote]

:D Well, if that's true then I must be the tallest 5 foot 8 and a half inches in the world! Maybe I'm measured in metric feet and inches rather than Imperial ones... that must be il!!

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1498135968' post='3322721']
If I was ever lucky enough to have the choice, it'd be a 4 string mk1 for me.

Just so I could sound like this, listen to how good this sounds (especially the chorus):

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaEN4katH0k&amp;list=PLGIYNBxcSZ3uo0Dv4GUoVf-4yKXu7xmKT[/media]

EDIT just to say if someone could let me know how to sound like this without buying a Wal I'd be ever so grateful :)
[/quote]

Greg Edwards of Failure was the main reason for me to go down this path. In a heavy rock setting just hearing how clear every note is even when strumming chords, no mud, and that natural gritty grind. I wanted the same bass that could speak that clearly.
(Failure is also why I chose silver on my Mk3)

Edited by mikeswals
  • Like 1