Why become a member? ×

Signal splitter

FinnDave

Searched and googled for this, but am more confused after that than I was before! I'd like to have to ability to use both my cabs, powered by two amps, so need some means of splitting the output signal from my bass. I am using a Smooth Hound wireless. I had thought a simp Y lead would be OK, but having googled it, it seems there are all sorts of impedance issues to take into account. Just occurred to me that a second Smooth Hound receiver might be the way to go, but is there a cheaper/better way?

If the input impedance of both amps are the same, and you have an active buffer before splitting the signal (which you do), then a simple passive splitter box or cable should work just fine.

There are some simple active splitters around also, SFX Sound make one, as do Lehle, there's the Boss LS-2, and a new one I saw recently:

https://www.prymaxe.com/products/ohmless-pedals-hatchet-signal-splitter

Edited by dannybuoy

to be clear, you are simply wanting to send the same signal from your boss to two completely separate amps? Each amp has it's own completely separate cab and there is nothing connecting anything other than the shared/split input from the bass?

Edit: having seen Dannybuoy's post which seems based on the answer to my question being 'yes', I'd add my vote for a LS-2 - it's more of an A/B box but I'm sure mine can do what you want. It's got a few whistles and bells so something simpler may do just as well

Edited by Monkey Steve

Thanks, keep the ideas coming! This relate isn't something I can see myself doing very often, but 2 or 3 times a year, it might be useful. The available budget reflects that! I've had an offer of an A/B/Y box I can borrow and buy if it does the necessary, so I think I'll start with that.

TBH - seeing as you are going from an amplified source, you can just connect two plugs in parallel in the front of two amp inputs and adjust the volume to suit, it will work fine. It wouldn't work from a passive bass (well, it would but you would be messing the tone up), but active is fine.

you could take a mono ¼" jack to 2 mono ¼" socket (like https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/142347532378 for instance), plug the plug into one amp, plug the lead from the output into one socket and connect a lead from the other socket to the other amp. Set both amps to passive for higher impedance and it would work fine.

Obviously not as slick as a box doing it, but the result would be the same.

Edited by Woodinblack

I would try plugging into one amp, then taking the effects send of that amp and plugging into the other either through the input or the effect return depending on if you want to use the preamp section of the second amp. Of course this only works if your amps have effects loops.

The ABY is by far and above the easiest way to split things into two. While this isn't a vanity thing, here's the floorboard I use for recording and the occasional live thing. The important stuff (tuner!) feeds into the ABY, which then splits into two channels, channel A routes the mild-dirt/cleanish whump (Sansamp BDDI) and the dirt is carried through channel B (choice from Boss ODB/Sansamp GT2/VT Bass DI). On channel B I tend to leave the VTBass +10db on as this makes the signal hotter into the poweramp. You can follow the signal path by following the cables.

The beauty here is that I can run a pair of cables into a stereo power amp and into two independent enclosures, giving me control over both channels. The BDDI and the GT2 give me a dUg Pinnick type tone...it's quite mental.

[quote name='keving' timestamp='1498219730' post='3323206']
I would try plugging into one amp, then taking the effects send of that amp and plugging into the other either through the input or the effect return depending on if you want to use the preamp section of the second amp. Of course this only works if your amps have effects loops.
[/quote]

That's an idea, I'll run that past Ashdown as I'll be using ABM 600 and a Rootmaster 800 heads. Good call!