Why become a member? ×

Speaker choke (inductor)

LITTLEWING

Anybody give me a clue to which value choke I need to simply shave the crispness off my speaker in a cheap praccy 40 watt bass combo? I've contacted a couple of component suppliers but get the same answer 'can't help you, don't know what value you need' etc etc.. ALL I WANT (shhh, sorry) all I want is to simply dull the output a little just like a crossover does to a hi-fi speaker to shave the treble off a bit. Nothing technical, I'm not going to the moon or making a laser guided missile, I'm just looking to take the treble crispness out of the sound.

Thing is, even with the top two of the 5 EQ's rolled right off, the evidently wide range pair of 8" in there still produce a hi-fi type edge showing up that unavoidable finger/string squeak. It's only an old cheap and nasty 'chuck in the car' Stagg CA100B/210 40 watt (I don't know what 210 means either as it has two eights) with Eminence speakers with no tweeter cones to produce crispy, but I fitted two bass ports in the rear and the low end for quiet praccy is unbelievable. I just wanted to try and get that top end 'dulled' a smidge.

not an expert but I think you want a low pass filter which in its simplest form is a resister in series and a cap in parallel. Google "low pass filter calculator" might help you as a rough idea what does what an example would be 10kohm resister and 4700 pf should start to roll of about 4khz.
Lots of guess work here hopefully someone knowledgeable will be along soon

You can allways learn to play without rubbing your fingers on the strings ;)

If you want a cheap solution use somekind of cloth or foam in the front grill of your speaker (think HK PA's) or get a set of very, very, very used flats! A low-pass filter pedal will also work but costs money.

Thanks for your help so far chaps, I'll check out that low pass calculator thingy. The main reason I'm looking at modding this cheapy combo is that my recently acquired OLPMM2 was rather 'hi-if' crispy and these speakers accentuated that frequency a bit, but having said that, I've changed the tone pot from a 500k to a 250k to darken things a bit and also replaced the .68 cap with a .1.0 and what a very usable pot is is now!! Fully open has the usual twang but 2/3rds onwards rolled off starts to mellow out and sounds oh so sweet. So, I might just ignore the combo sound and enjoy the new sounding bass. Never bloody happy, me. Lol!!!