Why become a member? ×

Bands and artists whose music you still buy out of loyalty even though you know it's probably not going to be very good.

darkandrew

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1498284310' post='3323593']
I tend to grow out of bands so their material may be of similar quality but I am looking for something else. This happened with Yes, Rush, ELO, Genesis, Weather Report, Dave Holland, Wynton Marsalis, John Abercrombie(although I am rediscovering him), John Scofield, Pat Metheny etc etc. Not their fault, just need to find something fresh.
[/quote]

+1. Part of what makes music so interesting is the fact that it's not static.

Eric Clapton. Lifelong fan, but recent releases have left me unimpressed.
Know he's not a young whippersnapper anymore, but don't really get his laid
back noodlings.
Live, it's another story. Saw him recently and he was on fire, both guitar wise and
vocally too. Makes me even more puzzled by his recorded output really.
Still love the guy though.....

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1498255330' post='3323534']
I'm not a "completest" by any means and there are a couple of stinkers in here that even I wouldn't buy, but I have nearly all the CD's and some of the vinyl by the Band, Little Feat, Keb Mo and Delbert McClinton.
[/quote]

I need some Keb Mo in my library but there's a lot to choose from - care to point me in the right direction Chris? Thanks.
(Thread hijack over)!

I tend to find if my tastes have moved on or an artist is past their best, there is usually a track or two that still hold my interest. I found the Stones last Blues LP wasn't as good as the reviews suggested (to be honest the classic LPs were drying up back in the 80s). They won't do Sticky Fingers again but I still buy. Lots of artists fit this bill for me but I think I go into eyes wide open.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1498298440' post='3323685']
I need some Keb Mo in my library but there's a lot to choose from - care to point me in the right direction Chris? Thanks.
[/quote]

Hi Mike. For song writing - all of them except for a Christmas CD he put out for some inexplicable reason. For the bass playing, the early ones had Hutch Hutchinson on bass, the middle period had the marvellous Reggie McBride and the latter period has a role call of some of the great bassists still active today.

IMO they are all good, but I'd start with Just Like You, Keep It Simple, Suitcase, The Reflection, Slowdown and The Door. Then work around to the others in time. There is also an early DVD Keb Mo sessions at West 54th which is worth owning.

Edit: there's an Infinity Hall gig on Youtube with Vail Johnson on bass and a few more videos worth watching with his current line up, Stan Sargeant on bass.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1498299154' post='3323691']
Hi Mike. For song writing - all of them except for a Christmas CD he put out for some inexplicable reason. For the bass playing, the early ones had Hutch Hutchinson on bass, the middle period had the marvellous Reggie McBride and the latter period has a role call of some of the great bassists still active today.

IMO they are all good, but I'd start with Just Like You, Keep It Simple, Suitcase, The Reflection, Slowdown and The Door. Then work around to the others in time. There is also an early DVD Keb Mo sessions at West 54th which is worth owning.

Edit: there's an Infinity Hall gig on Youtube with Vail Johnson on bass and a few more videos worth watching with his current line up, Stan Sargeant on bass.
[/quote]

Thanks Chris.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1498255330' post='3323534']
I'm not a "completest" by any means and there are a couple of stinkers in here that even I wouldn't buy, but I have nearly all the CD's and some of the vinyl by the Band, Little Feat, Keb Mo and Delbert McClinton.
[/quote]

Hi Chris,
Yea have alot of keb mo too and for very good reason.
I think Keb mo has done it very cleverly by capturing two or three types of audience,
if you take a song like "it hurts me too" from the cd "the door" it has that back pulse that sounds bang up to date
would not be out of place on some chart stuff, but all the time he has that steel slide guitar keeping your constant attention reminding you where the roots are from,
he has cleverly done this to alot of songs, so the cd songs are also cleverly laid out with these modern sounding songs and peppering the cd with some very very well played delta.
Great stuff.

Edited by funkgod

Rush and Metallica for me too. :( Rush haven't made a great album since Power Windows (1985!) but I've religiously bought everything they've heaved out since, with that little glimmer of hope getting fainter & fainter as the decades dragged past. I suppose they went out on a sort-of high, with Clockwork Angels, a proper concept album with some genuine gems amid all the so-so & disappointment. I have a depressing certainty that I'll be buying anything in the future that Lee & Lifeson so much as break wind on - but I won't be buying any of Peart's leaden, clumsily executed dullard ramblings. No I wont.

Slightly different with 'Licker (as a mate once said, it's not like they're "metal" any more) because I did like Death Magnetic. I got into them with Justice For All & DM does stylistically hark back to that - it was good to hear them sounding properly hostile again after the rather MOR Loads, & the mess that was Stanger. The last album was boring after two listens though.

Edited by Bassassin

Pre-Spotify I'd have said Metallica, however these days I'll only buy something I've heard and like; probably end up buying it on Bandcamp if I can.

Metallica's last record really was dreadful, god knows why they put out a double album when there wasn't enough good material for a single record.

Edit:

That's not entirely true - there are some bands where I'll pre-order their new albums before hearing them - Frank Turner, Opeth, Electric Wizard, Anaal Nathrakh, Akercocke; but I'm fairly confident on the quality of their output.

Edited by Graham

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1498299114' post='3323690']
I tend to find if my tastes have moved on or an artist is past their best, there is usually a track or two that still hold my interest. I found the Stones last Blues LP wasn't as good as the reviews suggested (to be honest the classic LPs were drying up back in the 80s). They won't do Sticky Fingers again but I still buy. Lots of artists fit this bill for me but I think I go into eyes wide open.
[/quote]
That's probably why I still keep buying albums by my "old favourites" - on a 12 track CD, there are often at least 2 or 3 good tracks.

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1498247630' post='3323448']
I have a list...

I used AC/DC to start this on the other thread, but the biggest offenders for me are Metallica. If you weren't there you might not appreciate just how good the first three albums were at the time kick starting thrash metal, and the the Garage Days EP was great...I've bought every album since and don't like any of them. In fairness I've seen them live a lot since then and they've never done a bad show
[/quote]
This....Metallica first three albums.

For me it's also Iron Maiden first 7 albums

Then some pre 2000.

Edited by SH73