Why become a member? ×

Bands and artists whose music you still buy out of loyalty even though you know it's probably not going to be very good.

darkandrew

So, based on a question in a previous thread - are there any bands and artists whose music you still buy, probably out of loyalty, even though you know it's probably not going to be very good?

For me it'll probably be Depeche Mode I'm afraid - their last album to excite me was "Ultra" but I still buy every new one when it comes out just in case and each time I end up disappointed.

Edited by darkandrew

I have a list...

I used AC/DC to start this on the other thread, but the biggest offenders for me are Metallica. If you weren't there you might not appreciate just how good the first three albums were at the time kick starting thrash metal, and the the Garage Days EP was great...I've bought every album since and don't like any of them. In fairness I've seen them live a lot since then and they've never done a bad show

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1498245074' post='3323427']
There's no bigger Stones or Macca fan than me, however I have no interest in their new material. I'll keep buying their 60s material.

Blue
[/quote]

I prefer the 70's stuff. But I guess you had to be there

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1498248549' post='3323457']
I used to buy Metallica but they've been mostly sh*te for years now so i gave up on them.
[/quote]
The last few have been pretty poor. Queensryche became pretty poor too for the last few albums before Geoff Tate and the rest of the band parted company but I still bought the CDs in the hope that they would be better than they turned out to be.

Edited by darkandrew

Ryan Adams.

I adore Ryan Adams. I think he's an absolute genius and one of the greatest songwriter ever. His songs have moved me like no other songwriter, and I have a strong emotional connection to his work.

Still, he hasn't made a great album in twelve years, his gigs can be frustratingly hit and miss affairs and I genuinely believe his best work is now behind him. I hope he proves me wrong, but I keep buying his albums, which notwithstanding the occasional gem contained within, are pretty average nowadays.

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1498240773' post='3323399']
So, based on a question in a previous thread - are there any bands and artists whose music you still buy, probably out of loyalty, even though you know it's probably not going to be very good?

For me it'll probably be Depeche Mode I'm afraid - their last album to excite me was "Ultra" but I still buy every new one when it comes out just in case and each time I end up disappointed.
[/quote]

Same, I love Depeche Mode and I still buy the albums, even though I haven't really liked one since Playing The Angel. The most recent one (I can't even remembered what it's called) is a stinker.

PS - agreed, Ultra is a fantastic album.

I usually buy or listen to (thanks Apple) the latest u2 album but generally aside from an occasional gem (crystal ballroom) it's a bit meh these days

Not really beaten atomic bomb but I'm sure they need my money

Edited by Geek99

jamiroquai,
the last one tho was my last one,
it sounds awful :unsure:

I got the same feeling when i purchased and listened to "click" by corduroy
nothing like previous releases, not even remotely the same sort of music.

On saying all that it must be hard for a band to Branch out into other areas
some will like it and some wont.
But in the case of "click" ....
it did not feel like a gradual jump like their sound was progressing,
it just hugely jumped into an area i could not associate with or make the connection.

Edited by funkgod

I honestly never got got the band 'fanboy' thing , if the music speaks to me , I'll vote with my wallet , if it doesn't , I'll let it go . It is so much easier to try before you buy nowadays that you really don't have to convince yourself that you love the band because you spent £12.99 on an album

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1498247630' post='3323448']
I have a list...

I used AC/DC to start this on the other thread
[/quote]

How can you be disappointed with AC/DC? They always do the same thing ;-)

I tend to grow out of bands so their material may be of similar quality but I am looking for something else. This happened with Yes, Rush, ELO, Genesis, Weather Report, Dave Holland, Wynton Marsalis, John Abercrombie(although I am rediscovering him), John Scofield, Pat Metheny etc etc. Not their fault, just need to find something fresh.