Why become a member? ×

Respray and patterned surfacing

Woodinblack

There are often posts about where to get respraying done and where to get it done, how to do it or how much it costs.

I want to do a refinish with a paper pattern, sort of like the pink paisley, except with my own (actually someone elses) paper. I have watched several videos on doing it, I know I have to strip whatever away, reseal, respray as a base coat, put the paper on, then apply 5000 different coats of laquer and keep sanding it down until I go mad.

I do lack any talent in this department so it will be an interesting experiment if nothing else.

However, I was wondering, out of curiosity (and I am expecting it would be prohibitive) if there are any people who actually do proper refinishing that do that sort of thing, and what sort of price it would run to?
If I could get it done well, it would probably be worth doing on a better instrument. If not, I have a bass that will do the job!

I had the hots for a Paisley Bass, bought a donor Bass and printed off the pattern on paper but the Bass was rubbish so sent it back. Have scratched that itch and now moved on.
I was going to use an air brush and acrylic paint to do the pink burst effect but only got as far as buying the base primer, Zinnser BIN which will cover anything!

David Konig from Retrovibe was telling me at the recent S W Bash he'd done a pattern on one of his and it went well and looked v effective...

Edited by yorks5stringer