Why become a member? ×

Hello from North Cumbria

LeftyP

Hello from the far north west of England - two hours north of Manchester and within sight of the border with Scotland.

I am within sight of my 67th birthday and am returning to the bass guitar after about a ten year lay-off. I was called on to play the bass when the bass player in our Christian Praise and Worship Band left to go elsewhere. I'd been struggling with the classical guitar for some years and thought; "Four strings - four fingers, what could possibly go wrong!" My problem was that I was into my mid forties before I picked up a guitar and my fingers on my fretting hand would not spread out far enough to cope with the classical instrument. I am also left handed but was taught to play right handed - something I will expand on in the "Lefty" thread.

The band came to a natural end (not sure if my bass playing was the cause!) and my guitar was put away. A few weeks ago, at my new church, I was asked if I played and instrument and I mentioned the bass. I have a feeling I may be put on the band rota so I am back to practicing again.

My bass is a Tanglewood RVB-2 which I bought for about £150.00 some twelve years ago. It's Tanglewood's inexpensive copy of the Hofner violin (Beatles) bass. I like the look of the instrument and the short scale length which makes it easier for my (not so supple) hands to manage. I've gone right back to the start and am trying to find my way around the frets and play scales in various positions. Reading the dots is also a plan. I am using tuition books and on-line instructions to help me get to know the bass again. It will be some time before I am ready to play in public but I am really enjoying plucking the strings again.

I look forward to becoming part of this forum and have already learned a lot from what I have read already.

Cheers!

Welcome. I have found this place to be an amazing source of knowledge, encouragement and enthusiasm. Whatever you want to know, someone will be able to tell you.

(I was in Whitehaven only last week and you live in a beautiful part of the world!)