Why become a member? ×

Compressors

Hobbayne

I use one nearly all the time. Subtle and just clips when I'm too heavy fisted. I guess if I was a litte more even with my playing I wouldn't feel the need. Depends what you are wanting it to do I guess.
Too add punch? I don't know maybe if you slap a lot.

Try borrow one if you can first.

Edited by Highfox

I have a Dbx 160A permanently plumbed into my rig. I have it set to give a gentle 2:1 squeeze with a fairly high threshold just to subtly smooth transients out like Highfox. I've tried several pedals in the past but they all seemed to suck the life out of my sound. I like the Dbx because it's amazingly transparent and doesn't colour the sound at all. Once it's set you just forget it's there.

Ovnilab.com for all your compressor questions, spot on as fas as I can tell.
I run an MXR bass compressor always on, but set more as a limiter. Get youtubing to hear what you DON'T want and make a choice from what's left.

OK, slightly more useful, 51m0n has written lots on compression on here - here's a link to one of his recommendations. There's also an excellent archived piece by him if you search deeply enough: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/184174-which-compressor-pedal/page__p__1771724__hl__51m0n__fromsearch__1#entry1771724"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/184174-which-compressor-pedal/page__p__1771724__hl__51m0n__fromsearch__1#entry1771724[/url]

Blimey! You could buy something like the FMR Really Nice compressor for less than that!

I dont use a compressor on bass but have three for guitar. and predictably my fave is a £14 Danelectro surf and turf someone gave me! I used to have an original Script MXR dynacomp and have borrowed the Ross equivalent & to my ears neither one did a significantly better job than the S&T.

However, I know several very good bass players round here have the Tony Larkin Audio Fatman valve comp/front end and swear by them.
Again I used to own the full blown Indigo 19" studio compressor but sold it when I went fully ITB in my home studio.
Worth kissing a few frogs to find your particular prince of compressors.

Edited by ivansc

I use a Cali76 for guitar, rather pricey but it does add an extra special magic to the sound. This was the clip that sold it to me (if I had 1% of this guy's talent, I'd be a happy man!)

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP8tfGeI_ME"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP8tfGeI_ME[/url]

There is a bass version but haven't tried that yet

I have the MXR compressor on one board, but now I use my Tech 21 Bass Fly Rig's inbuilt compressor.

To be honest, it's not an effect you notice all that much. Turn it off and you can't really tell.

It's more like a security blanket for me hehe.

The MXR is good to start with because it has ten LEDs that indicate how much compression is occuring.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1498329676' post='3323922']
I don't understand compression in the slightest but I have a BBE that I have as an always on pedal as it makes things sound better
[/quote]

BBE is brilliant. 1 of 2 pedals that I won't go out without.

[quote name='ChunkyMunky' timestamp='1498335016' post='3323950']
I own an EBS Multi-comp and it is absolutely brilliant. It gives me that nice, solid and thumpy 'oomph!' whenever I need it. I've yet to try some others but I'm going to keep an eye on this thread and see what others recommend. :)
[/quote]

I like the Multicomp a lot. It has a baked-in sound that I wish weren't there, but it's still good. I like its multiband setting when there's a lot of switching between slap/fingerstyle involved. It makes the slap sound very nice (part of it is the baked-in tone it has). The 'tube' setting is nice and thick and sounds pretty good.

For more transparent compressors, I like the MXR one and the BBE Optocomp. The MXR takes a little more work to get it right, but it can be set to where you just don't know it's there and is nice as a subtle tool to round off the sound. I don't like the input sensitivity 'though, it seems I have to have it nearly maxed and my basses are not particularly low output... Dunno.
The BBE one is the one I'd go for if I wanted a simple compressor that is very transparent and thickens the sound without altering much anything else.

But I nearly always prefer the way my bass sounds when I remove the compressor... so I'm conflicted. I like some compressors for some things, but I don't like them for other things... Right now I tend to switch them off... but I still have them in my boards.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1498390072' post='3324219']The MXR takes a little more work to get it right, but it can be set to where you just don't know it's there and is nice as a subtle tool to round off the sound. I don't like the input sensitivity 'though, it seems I have to have it nearly maxed and my basses are not particularly low output... Dunno.
[/quote]
Nearly maxed? Mine is between 10 and 11 o clock on the input, between 1 and 2 o clock output. Have you tried it at different places in your effects chain?

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1498421421' post='3324516']
Used an MXR M87 and a Darkglass Super Symmetry and finally settled on the Cali76G which sprinkles fairy dust on what I play
[/quote]

About time. Was wondering how long before the Cuzzie-Cali 76 fairy dust made its appearance :D. But you do need to define "fairy dust" as it's not a recognised engineering term as far as I'm aware (and probably has a different significance, anyway, at Glastonbury)? Although Aguilar have now caught on and are referring to their "magic buttons" (see 1.15) https://youtu.be/bLWqd0Ne3bE on their AG700...

Ok, ok Big Al, I'll try my best.

For my ears and playing, and this is with or without the Germanium transistor dialled in i compared the MXR, Darkglass and Cali side by side with my basses and amps etc varying from cab and head to small combo to original, to straight into a mixer.
All of them compress and do their job although I would say the dial tweaking on the Cali is more responsive and useable, the MXR is pretty transparent so it remains sterile. The DG warms the tone slightly with that modern hint it has, not retro tube warm, and the Cali makes your bass and effects more of what they are, it pushes it through the mix better, it sounds better and I don't know why, it's not just cos I forked out loads more for it so I want it to be good, it does it.
Every time I watch Usain Bolt run he is bloody quick, but that one race where he smashed the world record and it all hit into place is like the Cali every time.

Bottom line, MXR, Keeley, DG, Spectracomp, FEA Opti Fet etc are awesome and you can spend what you want, but you will not be disappointed in the Cali

I have one built in to my ashdown amp head and I have it on pretty much all the time. I also have a boss limiter enhancer on my pedal board but rarely use it, though using it as an enhancer with my fretless bass I can find some benefit.
I used to have a line 6 tonecore guitar compressor that had three settings plus the dials, it was very good for bass.
In general, if you spend the time tweaking one you'll likely find something useful but unless you have serious dynamics issues I wouldnt worry too much.