Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass rewiring

BrunoBass

I want to rewire my Jazz copy so that the neck pickup volume control becomes a master volume control, the bridge pickup control becomes a blend between the two pickups and the tone control remains a tone control.

For a soldering / bass wiring novice is this a relatively do-able exercise, or am I asking for trouble and better off entrusting the task to someone who actually knows what they're doing?

It's not complicated, but the tricky part is finding a dual gang pot with a centre-detent, so that you'll feel when the balance control is at 50/50.

Blade used t make their basses like this and it made a lot of sense.

If you use a series/parallel switch it will alter the sound of the bass, but in series mode you won't be able to alter the blend of the pickups - they're on equal output all of the time.

Better call Ki0gon

Not to hijack the thread, but I would like to broaden the question. I have a bass with dual J pickups. In 35 years of playing I have not used either pickup individually so it makes sense for me to go for one volume and be done with it. However in the back of my mind I recall that jazz pickups like to be loaded individually by individual pots. If they are loaded differently they still work but sound different. Am I talking garbage here? It would not be the first time.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1499023275' post='3328681']
Not to hijack the thread, but I would like to broaden the question. I have a bass with dual J pickups. In 35 years of playing I have not used either pickup individually so it makes sense for me to go for one volume and be done with it. However in the back of my mind I recall that jazz pickups like to be loaded individually by individual pots. If they are loaded differently they still work but sound different. Am I talking garbage here? It would not be the first time.
[/quote]
Why not wire them together to one pot - series or parallel;whichever you like?

• 7 months later...
On 02/07/2017 at 20:21, owen said:

Did you ever get round to doing this, was it successful? I’m thinking about doing something similar to one of my Js.