Why become a member? ×

End of the band

julietgreen

• 1 month later...

I've been there so many times Juliet - I feel your pain :(
But - as others have pointed out, another door will open - just stay positive
All those hours put in, learning a song you may not play again aren't wasted, honestly
Focussing on a song you may otherwise never have learned can only help your listening and playing

Until recently I was playing DB in a Bluegrass / Country / Acoustic Rootsy band, and we developed a great set - lots of stuff you never hear covered~
Then the singer / guitar /uke /mando player left and we all thought "how do you replace that?" He was great, and so versatile,
Sad thing is, he formed the band, and has given up playing live :(

The rest of us kept going, then the fiddle player leaves, and I must say, I was gutted
But along came a fab singer / guitarist /Uke / Mandolin player, who is also a classically trained pianist!
The music has changed direction a bit - but hey, we're learning more fab songs and having fun :)

Her name is Juliet BTW lol
Best of luck searching for a new band - but keep your chin up

[quote name='julietgreen' timestamp='1498410489' post='3324378']
Hi all, again. Thanks for the feedback - and the positive comments! Yeah - one of the reasons we went down well is because people liked hearing the good old fashioned rock. I like the idea of having 'low demand' projects on the go - I will need something to keep it going, otherwise, with normal job workload, it would be easy to let it drop. You're all right that other things will come along.

Thanks for posting your vid, Dad3353 - you reminded me that we had this! ;)

https://youtu.be/JcUphKIbLm8

How do I embed video on here?
[/quote]

Sounds good to me! I recognise the band, I think. Pretty sure I've seen you play in Leamington, but a while ago?

I've never had a band split for family reasons but I have been in bands where relocation, change of job etc have all contributed to it's demise. Take heart from everyone else's posts - you will find a new band in due course that you enjoy playing in, and take the experiences that you've learned so far (both positive and negative) and put them to good effect in your new project.

Its a pain in the neck but we have all been there, and felt the same sense of waste.

From what you say, If you have a good vocalist you have one of the most difficult elements of a band already in place.

Would she not be prepared to help you look for other musicians, or a band that is looking for a vocalist and a bass player?

Drummers and guitarists seem ten a penny on sites like Join My Band.

One thing I cant understand is why people think life stops because they have a baby? Surely one night a week, for a couple of hours, is not asking the earth? We managed to keep normal life going having our two kids. We give a lot up for children, we dont have to give up everything.

Edited by mikel

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1502443066' post='3351437']
Its a pain in the neck but we have all been there, and felt the same sense of waste.

From what you say, If you have a good vocalist you have one of the most difficult elements of a band already in place.

Would she not be prepared to help you look for other musicians, or a band that is looking for a vocalist and a bass player?

Drummers and guitarists seem ten a penny on sites like Join My Band.

One thing I cant understand is why people think life stops because they have a baby? Surely one night a week, for a couple of hours, is not asking the earth? We managed to keep normal life going having our two kids. We give a lot up for children, we dont have to give up everything.
[/quote]

Not having any kids and being a bit of an outsider looking in i've found that its easier for guys to carry on their social life and women generally seem to spend more time with newborn kids.
That may just be an old fashioned image i have in my head and it's probably more male chauevenism at its best but its an observation over many years with many married friends.
I agree with the comment that parents give up a lot for their children as they should but as you point out not everything. Surely there has to be some kind of a balance.

Maybe i'm just old and have and older view of how couples work these days. :rolleyes:

Hopefully you'll get another band soon though.

Dave

Only happened once to me and that was hard to take, it felt a bit like a relationship break-up (which it was I suppose)...I think our main problem was we didn't do enough gigs, + the singer (female, great voice) was having a relationship with the lead guitarists step-son (our sound engineer), which is always likely to be trouble if they split (they did).

Since then (about 2 years ago) I'm in a Bowie Tribute band which is really good and going places (venues are re-booking us) AND I'm in the band for a musical at the local school....so as many have said, it can and will turn round for you...and sooner than you think!

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1504021363' post='3362166']

Not having any kids and being a bit of an outsider looking in i've found that its easier for guys to carry on their social life and women generally seem to spend more time with newborn kids.
That may just be an old fashioned image i have in my head and it's probably more male chauevenism at its best but its an observation over many years with many married friends.
I agree with the comment that parents give up a lot for their children as they should but as you point out not everything. Surely there has to be some kind of a balance.

Maybe i'm just old and have and older view of how couples work these days. :rolleyes:

Hopefully you'll get another band soon though.

Dave
[/quote]

I've made this comment before.

If your a busy bar band playing 2-3 nights a week, if you have band members with young children I see booking and cancellation issues on the horizon.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1504044010' post='3362366']...
If your a busy bar band playing 2-3 nights a week, if you have band members with young children I see booking and cancellation issues on the horizon...
[/quote]

Why more so than bartenders, nurses or any other profession with irregular or unsocial hours..? I spent a good few decades playing in such formations, and never missed a gig, nor came across any other band members, either. Most had growing families, as did I. When playing with [i]that [/i]regularity, it's more of a full-time job, I'd say, and pays the bills, so you don't skip gigs lightly.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1504044386' post='3362368']

Why more so than bartenders, nurses or any other profession with irregular or unsocial hours..? I spent a good few decades playing in such formations, and never missed a gig, nor came across any other band members, either. Most had growing families, as did I. When playing with [i]that [/i]regularity, it's more of a full-time job, I'd say, and pays the bills, so you don't miss gigs lightly.
[/quote]

I would say if the band is a primary or significant portion of a famies income it can work.

But the guy with a good paying traditional career with young children that can just take off on every Friday and Saturday night and leave the children with his wife is rare in my neck of the woods.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1504044771' post='3362374']...
But the guy with a good paying traditional career with young children that can just take off on every Friday and Saturday night and leave the children with his wife is rare in my neck of the woods....
[/quote]

Yes, I suppose if you mean dentist and stockbroker bands, you may be right. I've never come across such bands; I've not been in the right circles, perhaps. :blush: