Why become a member? ×

Royal Blood at Glasto

Trueno

What the hell is going on with that guy's bass? Monster pedal abuse, I think... maybe a looper or two. He's playing basslines, chords and lead guitar on the higher frets.... and singing too. His strings were twanging like elastic bands... don't know if they were really loose or he was hitting them really hard.
The drummer was awesome... which helped.
I was looking out for a couple of guys with guitars around the back... didn't spot any.

Cracking set from them. Not seen too much of them but really enjoyed this performance. The drummer triggers some parts but otherwise it's the 2 of them with the other guy doing 3 people's job. You should check them out a bit more.

whilst they are very good ,I get the feeling that they can only do so much with just the two of them,,,,and they may end up just sounding like they are playing one long track all the time ,,,time will tell . but yes I did notice how that string was moving more than a washing line in a gale ,,,,

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1498380975' post='3324136']
Cracking set from them. Not seen too much of them but really enjoyed this performance. The drummer triggers some parts but otherwise it's the 2 of them with the other guy doing 3 people's job. You should check them out a bit more.
[/quote]

Consider them checked out. I don't watch glasto avidly... too much choice... but I do like it when I'm surprised by something like this.

I'm sure one of the basses was strung with the lowest 2 as bass strings and the top 2 skinny strings , wacking out a deep root and riffing over the top of it .
Very much agree that 5 songs in it got a bit samey , but really enjoyed them all the same , killer duo

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1498385760' post='3324185']
Saw em supporting the Foo's at MK..I agree that one song tends to blend in to another...
[/quote]
Saw them at MK too, they played that big stage well. In contrast I also saw them recently in Brighton, playing a tiny club. I do like them, but there's definitely limits to where they can go with their current style.

I really liked the first album, but twitchy about getting the second in case it's really the same music with different words.

Death From Above (1979) have been doing the same bass/drum duo (but much more aggressively on their older material) for years. Royal Blood basically do a poppier version of it. Much more clean cut.

Cool to see bass as a lead instrument, but yeah he has nicked this idea!

I think they are decent but the main reason I am off to see them is to see Black Honey and At The Drive-In.

Seen em twice and really enjoyed it. I like the new album less than the first but it's still pretty good. Less raw and a bit more produced and popy. But yes, very slack strings. Probably makes it easier to achieve a lot of the string bends he does. We cover a few of their songs and I can rarely achieve the bends on standard guage strings.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1498429323' post='3324610']
I watched them and was struck at how many basses he used, all of which to me sounded the same. I think it must have been on his bucket list to do more instrument changes than The Edge.
[/quote]
Maybe they were tuned up and strung differently so he could mix it up a bit , though they did all sound a bit samey to me as well

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1498429323' post='3324610']
I watched them and was struck at how many basses he used, all of which to me sounded the same. I think it must have been on his bucket list to do more instrument changes than The Edge.
[/quote]

Surely you mean Chris Wolstenholme!

I think it was a good show - nice to see the champers as well half way through the set!

I do think they need to get more musos in. Their first album, cool gimmick. Second album, same gimmick, okay a bit samey now. They can't do it a third time else they will be falling down festival rosters instead of going to the top.

Look how long it took Black Keys to figure it out! (Pun intended!)