Why become a member? ×

Ed Sheerhan at Glastonbury.

Cato

[quote name='Elfrasho' timestamp='1498424871' post='3324561']
That first song he did, played with a band, is an absolute stonker of a tune. one man and a guitar has its limits imo.
[/quote]

That's what I'm thinking. He's got some great uplifting, upbeat songs, but, when it's just him, he struggles to replicate the drive of the recorded versions.

Edited by Cato

It's hard to criticise a guy who is on his own wacking a guitar, dancing on a looper or 2 , and has 100,000 people singing along to every word. Very impressive.

Ed to add , maybe his E string drops out of tune a bit easy :D

Edited by lurksalot

[quote name='el borracho' timestamp='1498428463' post='3324598']

Totally agree.
[/quote]

Agree here.
First thing I said to the missus is that this would be so much better with a full band, I'm sure he has plenty of spare cash to pay for some top flight players.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1498426919' post='3324578']
It's hard to criticise a guy who is on his own wacking a guitar, dancing on a looper or 2 , and has 100,000 people singing along to every word. Very impressive.

[/quote]

Another here agreeing 100% with that. It's just you can't help thinking how it would be so much better with a band?

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1498429006' post='3324607']
Watched a bit of it - I guess its another thing that I don't get.
[/quote]

Fair Play to the guy he's headlining the closing night of Glastonbury but me too I'm afraid. I lasted 2 songs and got bored. I also thought his guitar sounded naff. nah not for me

Busiest guitar tech of the night.

I wouldn't hold my hand up to being a fan, but I thought the boy done good.

Takes balls to get up there in front of that mahoooosive crowd and talent to hold them all in the palm of your hand. The crowd knew all the words too, so he must be doing something right.

Good job, I enjoyed the whole set.

[quote name='ProfJames' timestamp='1498434952' post='3324638']
I have been disappointed with the whole thing! Radiohead have disappeared up their own arses, I don't get the Ed Sheeran thing, never liked Foo Fighters.
[/quote]

Welcome to old age, maybe..? You've left Royal Blood off your list, and Thundercat; there's probably a whole slew more, too. I would tend to agree, but, then again, I'm old, and am now far from the target audience of all of these folks, brilliant as they may be. It's not only generational, though; I never did 'get' Disco Chic, either, despite their evident prowess.
([i]Nods off in his armchair, bless 'im, and starts snoring gently but tunelessly again[/i]...)

Was watching some 'Family' at Glastonbury 71 on Youtube earlier tonight. To be fair I am a Die hard Family/Streetwalkers/RC fan, but what a contrast to the whole Glastonbury thing these days (not a go at Ed Sheeran, but loopers, really? Get a f***ing Band.)

For those interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dG8zRb9P5M&list=RD-dG8zRb9P5M#t=0

Sound quality is not good (1971), but what a performance.

I appreciate I may well be in the minority but I just don't get Ed Sheeran. Every song is the same old wishy washy dreary generic amble. It doesn't work for me. There have been some great sets, The Sherlocks stand out to me as one to watch, Royal Blood set the place alive and I like the Foo Fighters but appreciate they were doing what they do (what else would they do?).

Never been keen. He is a fantastic songwriter for that 'type' of music (ballad/pop/slightly upbeat) and obviously talented, but I've never once listened to anything he has written and thought 'oh I like this', and I am happy to say I listen to a lot of modern pop and rnb...but he doesn't work for me.

Well done to him. Much rather see a full band like Radiohead and Foos. Gallagher was a highlight for me.