Why become a member? ×

New US Lakland on the way....ARRIVED

Sibob

For the last 6 years, i've been largely playing my 1971 Precision with flats, probably for 70% of my gigs. That has generally meant that I don't need a lot else, I have call for a 5 string, and a another 4 string for heavier/rockier stuff, and so recently I've found myself for the past year only owning 3 basses.....and weirdly being happy with that. For reference, on average I gig around twice a week.
Whilst the P has been a constant, the other two have been a bit transient. Recently I settled on a Lakland Skyline 55-01, swapped out the electronics for US Bart stuff, and am very happy with it for not much money......like.....really good for the money!
After not really settling on a second 4 string, with the most recents being Maruszczyk, JV Squier & Lakland Skyline (DJ & 44-64), I've been down to just the '71 P & 55-01 for the last couple of months. I started talking to Lakland, and quickly settled on a simple spec that suited my needs, this is:

44-94 (same body shape as the 55-01)
Shoreline Gold
Rosewood fingerboard
Passive P/J electronics

Got the email a couple of days ago that it was ready and had been shipped!!
Lakland workshop pics below:

[IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/50irut.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/1262rh1.jpg[/IMG]

I wanted something that was simple and understated (the passive P/J, no scratch plate etc), but with a bit of fun about it (Shoreline Gold), and that's definitly what I've gotten by the looks of it.
From what I can tell, this is the only xx-94 body shape with a P/J config that they've made. Someone on Talkbass modded their Double J to a P/J, but that has a pick guard.
I actually went for this over a 44-64 simply because I loved the fret access of my 55-01, and after having tested the 44-64 Skyline, the fret access wasn't even as good as my '71 Precision....so it was a no brainer.

Should arrive in 10 days or so :D

Si

Maybe their policy has changed since they released the brochure below. A PLEK machine in the background is pretty convincing evidence the pictured bass was indeed PLEK'd. I can't argue with your logic.

[url="http://www.lakland.com/lakland-bro.pdf"]http://www.lakland.com/lakland-bro.pdf[/url]

Sibob, please report back if the bass comes with a PLEK'd hang tag, I know Skylines do. Oh and what a lovely bass!

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1498724625' post='3326525']
The beauty is in the simplicity. Very nice!
[/quote]
[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1498726724' post='3326550']
Nice simple and quality looking instrument.
[/quote]

This was certainly my aim :)

Si

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1498734479' post='3326638']
It's nice to get what you want - so I'm pleased for you! Just out of interest, what was the M-chick that didn't hit the spot and why? (You can pm me on that one if you prefer.)
[/quote]

I'll drop you a PM, if for no other reason than to keep this on topic. For the record, the Maruszczyk was a brilliant bass, quality build, just a couple of specs that I didn't get on with (my fault for specifying them, but was experimenting).

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1498809837' post='3327144']
That does seem to me what they're saying over at the Lakland Owners Group, Plek is for Skylines, all US are hand fretted.

Si
[/quote]

Which leaves me hopelessly confused.

I thought that the Plek process gave unbeatable results?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1498826532' post='3327374']

Which leaves me hopelessly confused.

I thought that the Plek process gave unbeatable results?
[/quote]

The Plek machine is an expensive investment, but no doubt much cheaper for a machine to do this work rather than a skilled luthier.

• 2 weeks later...