Why become a member? ×

Gibson basses in 2018...cheque books out!

NancyJohnson

It was coming though. They had a whole year a couple of years back where they had zero left-handed models. Between guitars and all the studio gear they now make, selling the odd thunderbird or leftie probably isn't worth the effort!

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1498697246' post='3326448']
Something odd is afoot, with the only Thunderbirds now being Epis. That said, the 60's Classic is burning a hole in my theoretical wallet, although my real one may not be quite so fragile, having bought a Classic Pro IV not too far back.

Like me a Gibbo though, and my Blankety-Blank cheque pen and book will be happy there is nothing to temp for 12 months or so!
[/quote]

If you could find a used Gibson Thunderbird, depending on the year, could be a good thing.

Blue

At one point I owned seven or eight Thunderbirds. They were all wonderful basses, but the RRP (or even the discounted sale prices) were ridiculous outside of America.

I've been trying to work out how much Gibson basses work out at as a percentile of take-home pay...assuming you're on the 2014 average pay (last figures April 2014), that's £27K...or around £1,8K a month after deductions. The last series of Thunderbirds carried a UK SRP £1.8K, so based on this pretty much a full months salary.

The average US wage (September 2014) is quoted at $52Kpa (or £40K). Granted there's individual state taxation, but this would equate to a $3.1K take-home (£2.4K) and in the US, the 2014 Thunderbirds had a SRP of $2K. So c.64% of a months salary.

Whether or not this is relevant to this thread, I don't know, but gear always seemed cheaper in the US. Yes, I know you need to factor in import duties etc.

Wonder what this is worth now... sold it and another identical one around 12 years back after gigging them exclusively for a few years. They were a delight - only 550 LP Triumph basses ever made apparently. Can't help thinking they've squandered their valuable heritage!

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1498746410' post='3326802']
Wonder what this is worth now... sold it and another identical one around 12 years back after gigging them exclusively for a few years. They were a delight - only 550 LP Triumph basses ever made apparently. Can't help thinking they've squandered their valuable heritage!

[/quote]

Cool looking bass.

Blue

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1498746410' post='3326802']

[/quote]

Did you a piece for Bassist magazine about them some time in the late 90s, maybe early 2000s? They had a regular item where readers wrote about their basses, and I'm sure I remember one from a chap who had a pair of these.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1498766000' post='3326972']
Did you a piece for Bassist magazine about them some time in the late 90s, maybe early 2000s? They had a regular item where readers wrote about their basses, and I'm sure I remember one from a chap who had a pair of these.
[/quote]

Certainly did! Spent a very pleasant day at the mag's offices with editor Gibson (honest!) Keddie and his Dep Roger Newell including lunch while the basses were in the studio being photographed after testing. That was a great mag while it lasted.