Why become a member? ×

Ampeg fridge revisited after 20 years...

Muzz

So I was at a rehearsal last night for a scratch band which has been assembled for a charity gig at the weekend - as I've mentioned before, I don't rehearse all that much, and where I do, there's no provided kit.

Anyway, at this rehearsal room there was an Ampeg 810 provided, so it seemed rude not to...I'd brought my Walkabout (this was a Rawk band rehearsal), so I plugged it in and...

1. Holy Ampage of Anchorage, the Walkabout goes VERY VERY LOUD through a biiiig cab...it was huuuge. There's a lot said about TE watts on here, but those Walkabout Watts are mahoosive...
2. For the first two songs, there was just a wall of bloomy bass behind me...very grin-inducing, but then...
3. Where's my definition gone? Where's the proper snarl? I ended up twiddling the EQ to try and get the sound I get from the Walkabout and the Super Twin, but couldn't quite get there.
4. I plugged my Super Twin back in, and there it was...like a duvet lifted...

I guess I would've needed some time to re-EQ properly, so it's not exactly a scientific A-B (it was a surprise, after all), but it was very much a mixed result. The ST [i]did[/i] sound like a smaller cab, but then again, that height of the 810 helps a lot - I think a pair of stacked Super Compacts instead would close that gap considerably*

Then, just to complete the experience, I shifted the 810 back across the room into the far corner. Ooog. :unsure: :)

I strolled out with the ST in one hand without looking back. Much. :)

* Oh no, GAS...... :(

Edited by Muzz

Having had BF cabs I can certainly agree that they have a much less coloured sound than the majority of the regular brands that are about. Yes the S12T that I had sounded smaller than the Ampeg fridge, but the two S12Ts I had, well they def gave a good battle. There is something special about plugging into a full Ampeg stack though, it`s probably the same for guitarists using a Marshall full stack, seldom needed, but grin-inducing nonetheless.

Interesting. After hearing so much about ampeg stacks I finally got a chance to use one at a gig this weekend. I've been playing about 10 years but have never come across one before.

Initially I found it a little indistinct and not my thing at all. Bit of tweaking and it produced a nicer sound but still, not my thing.

Bit of a relief, there's no way I could logistically use one regularly.

Hopefully in the future I'll be able to spend a bit longer with one.

I suppose because I use a twangy/driven sound without too many lows could be why I find them really easy to get a good sound from. Maybe putting a sound through it that usually relies on one or two speaker cones to fill a room with bass results in a tad too much low-end, now that eight speakers are taking those lows

I have never owned or lifted an SVT but I have use hired ones on tour (with lots of roadies) and they really are a force of nature. I can understand why they cornered the market and have stood the test of time, but they have never been an option for my world.

I did own an Ampeg 215 at one point and I could hardly get it from the car into the gig on my own. One of my more crazy buying decisions!

I notice that, these days, many of the bass players I watch (Nathan East, Willie Weeks etc) are touring with the Aguilar equivalent, the DB750 and DB810.

The place we rehearse has one in one of their rooms and I played through it on Thursday night with their SVT350.

On it's own I absolutely loved it but with the whole band playing it was just rumble. Plus I couldn't get it a a decent volume level where I could hear it but it wasn't overpowering the rest of the band.

I think I'll stick my my 10kg rig thanks. I can have it as loud as I need to be able to hear it on stage yet 5 feet away you can hardly hear it when the whole band are playing.

My SVT rig with 8x10 is still the sound I'm chasing, despite having sold it over 20 years ago.

Maybe a touch of rose tinted glasses going on, but with my 63 P-bass it sounded amazing.
Unlike other users, it wasn't the drive sounds that got me, just the warmth/power/bottom end
that it produced and that thing where you feel it in your body whilst your trousers flap away.
If only it was still possible for me now.....

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1499587403' post='3332296']
My SVT rig with 8x10 is still the sound I'm chasing, despite having sold it over 20 years ago.[/quote]

For years I either owned or played through the biggest amps and cabs, but there's no point in looking back.

I always look forwards to the best I can sound now and I believe that I'm sounding better than at any time in the past.